Expired Residency ? RENEW IT !!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The rules seem to be changing.

If you recall, the gov't offered some leniency about renewing expired residencies..... recently

Well, look at this that my friend sent me.....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I do believe the recent news on renewal of expired residency is significant. One lawyer posted the below on his website. Late renewal by paying a fee is coming to an end. There is not service about this posted on the Migracion site anymore:

As a temporary measure, foreign nationals whose provisional residencies have expired will have until August to file for permanent residency under the old rules. The same will apply to those with expired permanent residences who, therefore, need a renewal. If they do not file within this time frame, they’ll lose their status as residents.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Temporary..... pending permanent
I've never seen that word on the DGM website(?). You can apply for or renew "Residencia Temporal". What is "pending permanent"? Does that mean you are in the actual process of applying for permanent residency?

Since your quote refers to "foreign nationals", I thought it might refer to those who have received a residency visa and are applying for permanent residency.

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
Do you really need a residencia? It seems to only take care of the exit fee when I leave the DR. What else can it be used for? Can you have a cedula without a residencia?

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
The rules seem to be changing.

If you recall, the gov't offered some leniency about renewing expired residencies..... recently

Well, look at this that my friend sent me.....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I do believe the recent news on renewal of expired residency is significant. One lawyer posted the below on his website. Late renewal by paying a fee is coming to an end. There is not service about this posted on the Migracion site anymore:

As a temporary measure, foreign nationals whose provisional residencies have expired will have until August to file for permanent residency under the old rules. The same will apply to those with expired permanent residences who, therefore, need a renewal. If they do not file within this time frame, they’ll lose their status as residents.

That’s great news. I didn’t renew in 2021 my residency and really don’t want it. If I am notified that it will be too late to renew and I thereby loose my residency that’s fine. I will just be visiting one month every year. Maybe two max but with months in between.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
The thread is about renewing expired residency, we are not going to revisit the "paying an exit fee" topic. That topic has been well posted about for years.

Reactions: aarhus

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Residencia temporal explains it all

You are ‘en route’ to permanent.
Possibly. I've just never heard or seen residencia temporal referred to as "provisional". And just because your temporary residency is expired, what's to say you qualify, or even want, permanent residency as stated in the article?

This is typical DGM communication - clear as mud.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Possibly. I've just never heard or seen residencia temporal referred to as "provisional". And just because your temporary residency is expired, what's to say you qualify, or even want, permanent residency as stated in the article?

This is typical DGM communication - clear as mud.

Couldn’t a temporary residency also be if someone is in the DR temporarily to work ?

Reactions: cavok

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
It would be nice to know just how long a residency may be inactive in the future(after August) before you lose it and must reapply instead of renew.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
360_F_320769385_BNgtxFrfuXYGs0EbU0Spv3aVHu4sL1mN.jpg

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
When I flew into Punta Cana three weeks ago nothing about the e-ticket or whatever it’s called and I didn’t even think about it. Then I flew to Miami from El Catey the other day and suddenly I was asked about it but they had a desktop set up and I filled it in and they told me to take a picture of the screen and show that. Then I forgot it again flying back from Miami but I tried at checkin on my iPhone but the screen froze. The AA lady said that happens all the time so just ask when you get there. At arrival in El Catey someone helped several of us and it took a long time. They want to do everything right at El Catey. Just one gate. When I leave from Punta Cana I will see what happens but in Punta Cana they can’t afford people waiting in line for hours. My point is they come up with these stupid ideas until it hurts just a little bit on the tourism numbers. They are not deporting people who didn’t renew their residency or anything like that.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
No cedula, no driver's license..... no legal status past the official 30 day visit
So someone comes for 2 or 3 months a year. Cedula- For What does he need it?
Drivers License- He can use his foreign one. No one ever been 'charged" for this.
Legal Status- Means ZERO. No tourist has ever been charged with "Not Being Legal".........

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Certainly...... visitors need nothing..... no argument
Want to stay for the winter ?
Different story...... the iced gets thinner the longer you stay

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Certainly...... visitors need nothing..... no argument
Want to stay for the winter ?
Different story...... the iced gets thinner the longer you stay
30 days or 30 years makes NO difference. Give us ONE example of what you are talking about. JUST ONE.....................

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
Do you really need a residencia? It seems to only take care of the exit fee when I leave the DR. What else can it be used for? Can you have a cedula without a residencia?
They answer is No and Yes ! It is very depend on what are you doing here. If you are involved in any business activity i highly recomend residency. If you stay here to retire, you really do not need the Headache of a residency and anual renewal process and costs. You take a short vacation every 6 month and the flight to miami or colombia incl. the overstay fees are still less or about the same than what renewal of residency would cost you.

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
There is another issue to consider. All the info and recomendations about what to do regarding overstay, residency etc. are all based on prior experience with the authorities over the last years or even decades. But unfortunately things are changing ! Recently there are many foreigners (mostly from venezuela and haiti) involved in a serious rise of crime(s) that were originally only comited by locals. Until recently, foreigners were seen as one thing and one thing only; "a source of incoming money". This is not true anymore. The government need to protect it's country and the only way will be more and stricter regulations and also the enforcements of them. They are unable to do any specific messures to specific nations, that would be considered racist and unacaptable. Bottom line: If it becomes epedemic that somebody from Haiti or Venezuela robs or rapes somebody, "Tom the Pensionier" from texas has more headache here.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There is another issue to consider. All the info and recomendations about what to do regarding overstay, residency etc. are all based on prior experience with the authorities over the last years or even decades. But unfortunately things are changing ! Recently there are many foreigners (mostly from venezuela and haiti) involved in a serious rise of crime(s) that were originally only comited by locals. Until recently, foreigners were seen as one thing and one thing only; "a source of incoming money". This is not true anymore. The government need to protect it's country and the only way will be more and stricter regulations and also the enforcements of them. They are unable to do any specific messures to specific nations, that would be considered racist and unacaptable. Bottom line: If it becomes epedemic that somebody from Haiti or Venezuela robs or rapes somebody, "Tom the Pensionier" from texas has more headache here.
They are unable to do any specific messures to specific nation? You have to be kidding. Just ask any Haitian or Venezuelan to a lesser extent about that statement. When was the last time you saw anyone from a First World Country deported dud to an overstay.................NEVER.............

Reactions: Manuel01