Finally here and all set to make it happen.

Krishna Duddukuri

Feb 6, 2015
Thank you Mike :), well i guess Balicana and Namasthe will be completely different but yes there is a possibility of a slight
competition... i was thinking the same.

Krishna Duddukuri

Feb 6, 2015
I see meat is of good quality here, when bought fresh and more natural... Problem is shrimps and fish ain't fresh here and if
places like Cabeza del Toro or Miches have fresh but super expensive! Mostly all the good products are sold to the 105 or so all inclusive hotels.

Krishna Duddukuri

Feb 6, 2015
Hi Krishna,

I live in Santo Domingo..Let me know if you need any help regarding the Indian spices and ghee..i knw where can we get all those Indian stuff..Happy to Help :)

Regards,
AjayShankar
Dear Ajayji,

First of all thank you for your message.
It would definitely be a great help tp find spices in Santo Domingo and products like ghee etc.
I would be thankful to you if you can give me some information as to where i can
find. I have heard that there is a small Indian community in the capital and also
Cabarete.
My email is duddukuri@hotmail.com

Cordially,
Krishna

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Carrefour is still there. It's near Manoguayabo on the outskirts of Santo Domingo just off the Duarte Highway.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
For the prices you'll pay here, you may well want to import. I can't find jamaican jerk seasoning to save my life.

I am pretty sure I bought some jerk marinade at Omaha Gourmet in SDQ. As with all imported items they may have a shelf full one day and then not have it for months. I have ordered a few different jerk marinades and spices from amazon. Just came back from Negril and brought back a bottle of jerk sauce from Bourbon Beach. Dominicans are not big on spicy food hence few places sell Jerk or Franks hot sauces etc.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I see meat is of good quality here, when bought fresh and more natural... Problem is shrimps and fish ain't fresh here and if
places like Cabeza del Toro or Miches have fresh but super expensive! Mostly all the good products are sold to the 105 or so all inclusive hotels.

nope, here your research told you completely wrong.
almost zero of any local product from the east goes to any AI Resort, specially not what comes out of the Ocean.
the local fishery could not manage to deliver for more than one of the around 100 hotels in the area, the seafood served at the AI hotels is the cheap stuff from the outsid, it is frozen imports always.
to purchase fish locally is cheap, like in Cabeza de Toro(there's never the need to travel as far as Miches for seafood, it would not be any fresh anyways when you come back from miches with it) and around El Cortecito where you plan to live/open the restaurant. deal with local fishermen, purchasing on regular bases will bring you common species like for example Dorado for as low as $2.-US per pound, and of course they have Red Snapper and different Groupers also always available for cheap prices. you can also deal with them for caribbean lobster.

Mike

donP

Dec 14, 2008
No Murgh Palak in LT

T...i guess Balicana and Namasthe will be completely different but yes there is a possibility of a slight
competition... i was thinking the same.

It is with deep regret and profound sadness to read that you open(ed) your Indian restaurant in the Punta Cana area... :mad: :laugh: hence in the wrong location!!!!!!

I for one would have suggested Las Terrenas... :classic: There is no competition of Indian food places whatsoever and you'd have me (and I am sure, a lot of others, too) as a regular customer.... :classic:

donP

BTW, how is your business doing?

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
doP, jealous because we got it, hehe.
Krishna, just to add to my post from faberuary.
with the Boulevard/Highway completed til Miches, now it is on normal slow pace just a 50 minutes ride from Bavaro to Miches, so it is easy within purchasing range for fresh seafood, too.
an other place to consider is Yuma, in the opposite direction than Miches, to the south, a easy 40 minutes ride.
i would recommend that you visit each of the different places where fishing boats are based, to get a feel for the prices and available quantities and collect phonenumbers of the guys directly, deal with them directly. they have boats/times who leave just for a night, other times they leave for a whole week at a time. always depending on the weather forecasts and the running season for different products of the ocean. to make it worth a 2hrs roundtrip ride to purchase your products fresh of course depends on the quantities you purchase at a time. for smaller quantities you may be off cheaper to purchase near your place/get it delivered to your place for a higher price, but for that you do not spend half a day out of the house spending on traveling around.
for example the Seafood Brooker in Cabeza de Toro does also deliver his products.
you need to do a big sweep/several rides to different places and personally make your deals/arrangements to compare for each Your final cost for a lobster or sack of shrimps or specific fishy species etc.

Mike

Krishna Duddukuri

Feb 6, 2015
The dominican pace has it's charm. Still working on cleaning and renovation etc. few weeks more to open it.
I heard a lot about Las Terrenas and i was near the village of Las Naranjas in February for whale watching, staying in Las Ballenas Escondidas. Next time i come there i can make some indian in the restaurant of that hotel as they have also asked me to.
Regards.

Krishna Duddukuri

Feb 6, 2015
Dear Mike,

I really appreciate your guidance and advice. I will go to Miches one of these days and look for the sellers. Have got a few
contacts in Cabeza del Toro.
Are you the same mike in the picture of spice markets of Higuey?
regards

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
I never even read this story when it started because of optimistic tone. Now I see the sheit has hit the fan - he/she describes problems in other/new post about lawyers. Predictable. I am not sure how people get the idea it will be more or less normal procedure or easy to do these things here?!? Indian restaurtant? Hijole.

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
Well the Indian Restaurante Namaste is coming along nicely, even though it is going to be late in opening, I pass by every day in the hope that they have finished the refurbishment... pant, pant... Come on Krishna, whip the boys into shape. Also have asked Cesar to let me know when you finally open. I am dying to eat Indian food...

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
still not ready to open?
what's missing?
i mean, furniching a restaurant including paintings and such is a thing of a couple weeks. and if taking over a existing restaurant such 2 weeks would be a extended maximum.
doesn't sound much "coming along nice" to me, sounds more like hurdles to take and get delayed again and again.
hopefully it will be open soon and we will see it flourishing on a success wave.
i am myself not a spicy eater, but would like to see it running.

Mike

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Gonna be rough opening a restaurant during low season... all the snowbirds have flown back home.