FINALLY! I want a PITBULL!

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Off topice here ....

Don't you hate it when people with 10 or 20 posts to their name get cocky? It seems they don't realize that most of us here with a few hundred (or thousand in some cases) posts have been here a while and 'know' each other more or less. How would you react after meeting someone for the first or second time and they came accross as rude to you ...... you'd write them off right? Well, the same thing happens here, if you're rude you'll probably be ignored after a while and be considered on the outside of the community. Make an effort to get to know the people you feel so free to be cocky with ....

Thanks to everybody who gave useful and helpful input in this thread. I really would not have chosen the boxer if I didn't have the info you all provided.
Thanks again,
Amy

madism

Aug 12, 2005
amy2761 said:
Off topice here ....

Don't you hate it when people with 10 or 20 posts to their name get cocky? It seems they don't realize that most of us here with a few hundred (or thousand in some cases) posts have been here a while and 'know' each other more or less. How would you react after meeting someone for the first or second time and they came accross as rude to you ...... you'd write them off right? Well, the same thing happens here, if you're rude you'll probably be ignored after a while and be considered on the outside of the community. Make an effort to get to know the people you feel so free to be cocky with ....

Thanks to everybody who gave useful and helpful input in this thread. I really would not have chosen the boxer if I didn't have the info you all provided.
Thanks again,
Amy

well being im the only one with low post count (however i have been reading these forums for quite some time) i will respond.
i didnt come across rude on my first post, i made a point, those who saw it got it, those who didnt, bluntly ignored it... and i can care less for ignorant people.

2nd im not a kiss ass, you can have 300 post and till be an ignorant moron, why should that make a diff to someone?
old school or new school, takes no real 'skill' to be a poster on this forum, be it if you are friends or not.

i am not here to make friends nor enemys... i like some of the people here (who i havent talked to nor attempted to) and dislike some, who the same goes for... i just respond to what people say to me either directly or to a post i made. dont like it? tough.

ps. grats on your new pet, i hope you enjoy him as much as i enjoy my pets.
to me the breed doesnt matter as long as they are fun loving animals.
same goes for the human class.
respect earns respect.
same goes for ignorance and sarcasm.

madism

Aug 12, 2005
ah and just wondering, how does one get cocky thru font? whats really to brag about your forum status?

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Madism

I dunno, maybe it's your style of writing that puts me off. My point was that the people here with a few hundred posts under their belts usually know what they're on about, if they don't then they usually don't stick around for long enough to accumulate more than a few posts. Time will tell as far as you're concerned .... If I don't like your post I'm free to say so, if I think it's cheeky then I''m free to say so too. It doesn't mean you're a bad person or ignorant or anything else - it's my opinion.

By the way, that post wasn't directly aimed at you. It's something that I've noticed a few times (ok, more than a few) but didn't think it really merrited it's own thread. ;)

And, another thing, your first post isn't completely accurate.

For Example:

There are behavioral traits that are genetic ..... eg. addictive personalities, people who have parents that are alcoholics, even if they were adopted at an early age and don't know their real parents, are more succeptible to become an alcoholic than others. That goes to say that if a long line of fighters/attackers were to have offspring, even if the pup was not taught to fight/attack, it would be more succeptible to do so than others who were not taught that.

Thanks for the congrats on the pet - we're looking forward to it.

Stay well,
Amy

Last edited:

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Ok, back to the doggies .... one thing I've been thinking about is dog food, what do you guys feed your dogs and where is it available in the DR? I'm close to Santiago and I assume National has a good variety of dog food but is there anywhere else that's better for dog food?

Stay well,
Amy

madism

Aug 12, 2005
well, im not sure the availability of eukanuba dog food, but in the states atleast its by far the best rated affordable dog food, i my self have used it for the last 10 or so years, and have had 2 very healthy dogs that is even noticeable thru their fur...
im no animal expert obviously but just sharing my experience with that food, i used it also for my dogs puppies who she had like 5 years ago or so, they have every version of the dog food for large/small/medium breeds puppies or grown dogs, or even growing dogs, check out their web page, Eukanuba they have a dominican republic section, so im assuming they do sell it there ;] anyhow have a look and enjoy.

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
Found one adress on thier truc

PRO-PET SUPPLIES, RIZEK, C. por A
Ave. Isabel Aguiar #40
Zona Industrial de Herrera
Santo Domingo
Rep?blica Dominicana
TEL: (809) 530 9400

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
I feed my puppy Eukanuba that I buy from a vet in Santo Domingo. It is 720 pesos for a 6.6 lb bag of the small breed puppy variety. A little pricey here but it is worth it not to have to worry about supplements and since it is easily digestible it really helps to keep their stools small and dry.

It is still fairly cost effective though, since dogs don't have to eat as much of it as foods that have a higher level of filler.

Congrats on being able to get a dog to go with your new house. I always think life is better when you have pets to share your days.:classic:

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
I try to stay away from dry food from the supermarkets, it usually stink or has little bugs in it! So if you are gonna get dry food I suggest you buy from the vet! While I was researching for my puppy I came across Barf Diet, if you look it up you will see that it is pretty interesting. So every 3 weeks I make my own dog food that I keep in the freezer in little bags. This is not for everyone; you really have to make time for this. Fruits and vegetables are easy and affordable to get here, is my recipe: second grade ground beef, liver, carrots, berengenas, auyama (opps can’t remember in English), parsley, garlic, papaya, mango, oatmeal …etc… My dog will jump in the mango tree to get her own; she loves bananas and chews on carrots. The benefits from this food as been great so far, the garlic kills parasites and will keep fleas away, the stools are firm because of the fiber, the coat gets very shinny and the best…NO doggy smell! Also…I only give her bottle water; I rather buy an extra gallon than pay vet bills! Have fun!

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Changes ....

The Boxer didn't work out but I've received word from another friend that a little Pitbull looking for a home will be arriving at my house within the next week :D

Name is already decided - 'Diablito' :bandit:

I'll update in a few days to let you know if he arrives.

Stay well,
Amy

deejboram

Sep 15, 2004
apologies for bringing this back up but i like pit bulls myself but don't want my sister with 4 very young sons owning one right now

http://www.presa-canario-canary-dogs.com/

In the 19th century, Mastiffs and Old-style Bulldogs appeared on the Canary Islands. They were crossed with the native dogs and the end result was the Canary dog, also referred to as the Canario dog.

The purpose of the new breed was for fighting, which was rather popular at that time. The dogs were strong and agile. They were famous for their game and courage. Presa Canario dogs of the time were considered a great fighting machine, yet started to decline in numbers after the sport of dog fighting was outlawed.

Dec 21, 2005
If you are interested, i will have doberman puppy's for sale , what the Dominicans and other people call the devils dog , people **** them self just when they see one of my dogs sat in the drive way they turn round and walk the long way round to their homes, even though the one i have lose is the kids dog. the night time dogs, are only let out at night. they are bad.Before i had them when i was out robbers emptied my House since i have my dogs all is quite.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
How ironic life is

In a weird twist of fate I'm now the "owner" of a pitbull...

My Brother in The DR has a friend who gave him this black pitbull puppy. Thinking that I need a dog to watch my house he drops him off at my house, which is being watched by my grandparents. I was told a month later...I asked my brother to get the dog back. He keeps saying he will, but has not done so yet. In the meantime my grandparents have gotten attached to the dog and don't want to give him up. It is locked up during the day and they let him out at night. I saw him when I went for new years and it looks very intimidating. I tried calling him and he just looked at me like "Who the fcuk are you?"

Anyhow, I don't think I will keep him long term, but I will have to get something to replace him.

Amy: What happened with the boxer? Want to trade for the my pitbull?

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Hi suarezn

The boxer never worked out, never heard back from the people with the pregnant dog ....

I'm now waiting on a pitbull pup from a family in Santiago - the pups are still less than 45 days old so they're wanting to wait a little longer before selling them.

I'll let you know how this works out within the next 2 weeks or so, I don't have boxer but would be happy to pay for your pitbull - how old is he/she now? It's pretty important for me to have a male dog as there are already two females in the house (my daughter and I LOL) and a male would be so much more protective of us.

Stay well,
Amy

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Update .....

Apparently the pups were born three weeks ago ... two more weeks and we'll see if a puppy appears on my doorstep :D If not then the search continues.

I'll update in a few weeks again. :bandit:

Stay well,
Amy

Edited to include: Apparently there are 8 males to choose from. Anybody have an idea of how much I should be paying for a pitbull? No papers of course but mom and dad are both pure-looking?!

Last edited:

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Update:

I'm posting this on both threads as it applies to both ...

I have had the dog (Tiger) for a little over a week now and have fallen absolutely in love with him. He'll be 2 years old on the 2nd of Nevember. He's very well-behaved, needs a little training but all-round he's a pleasure to be around. He gets along wonderfuly with my daughter and has made friends with out kitten as well. So, I have decided to keep him :)

Now, I'm left with the pet-store-owner in Santiago who went through a lot of trouble to find me a pitbull puppy. Initially I would have liked to take the puppy as well but with the cat, Tiger and my 4 year-old my hands are full!! What do you think? Fancy a puppy? The price is around RDS 3 500. Please let me know as soon as you can because these dogs (despite their terrible reputation) are wonderful family/guard dogs and I'm sure the pet-store-owner will have no problems finding homes quickly. There are two male puppies left out of a litter of 8.

Stay well,
Amy