Flights to Europe

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
at this moment Europe is changing many things backwards, back to lock downs.
to make such plans for christmas you have to wait some weeks, to see which direction the trend then goes.
I am reading that to. Cases going up a lot.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
just a few days ago i was reading through the Winter Season flight list of Condor, my pesonally used airline for visits to the grannies.
Condor has flights from Frankfurt direct to PC (my used route since a long time) on for every day of the week.
but as things are trending the last days in Europe over all and Gerany in specific,
I don't believe that there will be a single direct flight from FfM to PC til next Spring.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
just a few days ago i was reading through the Winter Season flight list of Condor, my pesonally used airline for visits to the grannies.
Condor has flights from Frankfurt direct to PC (my used route since a long time) on for every day of the week.
but as things are trending the last days in Europe over all and Gerany in specific,
I don't believe that there will be a single direct flight from FfM to PC til next Spring.
Wow really. Well it will be interesting to follow the coming months.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
to make such plans for christmas you have to wait some weeks, to see which direction the trend then goes.

Yes Mike.... can't make plans or worry too much yet

Everything changes almost every week.....that's frustrating

Feb 7, 2007

Unfortunately yes, my Xmas plans are on hold as well and will need to analyze the situation at the end of November / beginning of December.

Reactions: MikeFisher

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
What’s the update on flights running directly between the DR and Europe?

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
What’s the update on flights running directly between the DR and Europe?

I just heard on the grapevine from someone who works for Iberia that they are going to increase to 10 flights per week from December Madrid to SDQ, so it will be a flight every day and on 3 days per week there will be 2 flights. But I have also been told by 3 separate people that British Airways is not planning to return to Punta Cana, they are evidently pulling out forever. As BA and Iberia are part of the same company, I presume that the logic is that they will concentrate operations in Santo Domingo and anyone from the UK travelling to Dom Rep will fly via Madrid and be transferred to Punta Cana by road.

Air France was reported to be introducing flights to Punta Cana in December, but I've also heard that these are going to be cancelled and Air France is also going to fly only from Paris to SDQ, 3 times per week.

It's positive news for Santo Domingo but a complete nightmare scenario for Punta Cana if this all turns out to be true.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I just heard on the grapevine from someone who works for Iberia that they are going to increase to 10 flights per week from December Madrid to SDQ, so it will be a flight every day and on 3 days per week there will be 2 flights. But I have also been told by 3 separate people that British Airways is not planning to return to Punta Cana, they are evidently pulling out forever. As BA and Iberia are part of the same company, I presume that the logic is that they will concentrate operations in Santo Domingo and anyone from the UK travelling to Dom Rep will fly via Madrid and be transferred to Punta Cana by road.

Air France was reported to be introducing flights to Punta Cana in December, but I've also heard that these are going to be cancelled and Air France is also going to fly only from Paris to SDQ, 3 times per week.

It's positive news for Santo Domingo but a complete nightmare scenario for Punta Cana if this all turns out to be true.
Sadly I think it makes sense with Punta Cana. That’s another discussion of course but seems they have to start thinking differently and fast. Hopefully the American tourists keep coming being almost the only market.

I will be looking at Iberia then although then I think there is only via Heathrow to Denmark. My flight start December SD - Miami - London to Billund in Denmark just got cancelled regarding last leg Heathrow to Billund because of corona virus in minks in Denmark. UK then banned all Denmark flights until 3 of December for now. I have been in contact with AA a couple of times on their chat and we looked at a later flight to Copenhagen assuming ban is not extended but then all flights Miami to London booked until January. I will just wait now until a few days before my flight and hear what AA / BA says. SD - Madrid - Heathrow- Copenhagen maybe but only if travel ban is not extended. I don’t know right now how else to get from Madrid to Denmark. I was suggested Madrid to Frankfurt and then train. Things are getting tighter everywhere.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
bad thinking to fly from the UK only to St Dgo, they soon will have not enough passenegrs/demand to fly the route 10 flights per week.
without direct flights into PC Intl the british market will quickly shrink to nothing, travelers will look for other sunny destinations instead.
a long haul flight followed by a transfer from Las Americas to Punta Cana will not be accepted by most.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
bad thinking to fly from the UK only to St Dgo, they soon will have not enough passenegrs/demand to fly the route 10 flights per week.
without direct flights into PC Intl the british market will quickly shrink to nothing, travelers will look for other sunny destinations instead.
a long haul flight followed by a transfer from Las Americas to Punta Cana will not be accepted by most.
Aren’t there some other charter airlines direct from UK normally apart from BA ?

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Sadly I think it makes sense with Punta Cana. That’s another discussion of course but seems they have to start thinking differently and fast. Hopefully the American tourists keep coming being almost the only market.

I will be looking at Iberia then although then I think there is only via Heathrow to Denmark. My flight start December SD - Miami - London to Billund in Denmark just got cancelled regarding last leg Heathrow to Billund because of corona virus in minks in Denmark. UK then banned all Denmark flights until 3 of December for now. I have been in contact with AA a couple of times on their chat and we looked at a later flight to Copenhagen assuming ban is not extended but then all flights Miami to London booked until January. I will just wait now until a few days before my flight and hear what AA / BA says. SD - Madrid - Heathrow- Copenhagen maybe but only if travel ban is not extended. I don’t know right now how else to get from Madrid to Denmark. I was suggested Madrid to Frankfurt and then train. Things are getting tighter everywhere.

John I am not sure if you need to have a negative Covid test to transit through Spain. Worth checking. This is the site travel agents use: https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013

Mike it's Iberia from Madrid that are going to 10 flights per week. British is supposedly cancelling everything from London, so nothing direct at all from London to Punta Cana except for a charter. Or the route would be London to Madrid to Santo Domingo by air and then a long transfer, which I agree almost nobody will do. IMO most of the Brits going to Punta Cana had no idea where they were flying to, they just knew it was cheap, it was all inclusive and it was sunny. I reckon they will mostly go to other Caribbean islands, Cancun or Orlando and not bat an eyelid.

Reactions: aarhus

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Aren’t there some other charter airlines direct from UK normally apart from BA ?

TUI but again they have cancelled everything. I'm not up to date on when they will return. What about Air France SDQ to Paris direct then another flight or the train? That service is operating I think once a week at the moment and will be increasing to 3 x weekly in December.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
But I have also been told by 3 separate people that British Airways is not planning to return to Punta Cana, they are evidently pulling out forever. As BA and Iberia are part of the same company, I presume that the logic is that they will concentrate operations in Santo Domingo and anyone from the UK travelling to Dom Rep will fly via Madrid and be transferred to Punta Cana by road.
That's bad news for us Brits. It means that, as mentioned above, the last company standing between the UK and DR was Tui, and we don't know what their plans are for the future. When I came to live here ten years ago there were multiple weekly flights from a couple of British cities to Puerto Plata, Punta Cana and Santo Domingo. Now you have to make a tortuous trip around Europe.

Reactions: MikeFisher

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
That's bad news for us Brits. It means that, as mentioned above, the last company standing between the UK and DR was Tui, and we don't know what their plans are for the future. When I came to live here ten years ago there were multiple weekly flights from a couple of British cities to Puerto Plata, Punta Cana and Santo Domingo. Now you have to make a tortuous trip around Europe.
Yes, me too. Even more choice 20 years ago :-(

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
TUI but again they have cancelled everything. I'm not up to date on when they will return. What about Air France SDQ to Paris direct then another flight or the train? That service is operating I think once a week at the moment and will be increasing to 3 x weekly in December.
I looked online Air France and looks all booked. I think I am going to stick with my ticket and wait until a few days before and just rebook for when it is possible.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Mike it's Iberia from Madrid that are going to 10 flights per week. British is supposedly cancelling everything from London, so nothing direct at all from London to Punta Cana except for a charter. Or the route would be London to Madrid to Santo Domingo by air and then a long transfer, which I agree almost nobody will do. IMO most of the Brits going to Punta Cana had no idea where they were flying to, they just knew it was cheap, it was all inclusive and it was sunny. I reckon they will mostly go to other Caribbean islands, Cancun or Orlando and not bat an eyelid.
yes, that is exactly what it is.
I had already guests arriving that route.
they book BA but the flight is done by partnered Iberia, even that bookings show teh original BA flight number.
they arrive London-Madrid-St Dgo, a long journey and then I provide their private direct transfers to their respective Hotel in Punta Cana.
those are dozens of regular customers, visiting every year again near year's end and the general opinion within the guests is that they would not book Punta Cana/DR at all again for next year unless they can fly direct Manchester or London into PC Intl. without the layover in Spain and the transfer from Las Americas.
the UK may not be the biggest country of the planet, but there is a very significant clientel of regular PC Visitors from the UK, a clientel that built up very nicely over the last few years.
to loose on that specific part of the market would def be a significant loss for Punta Cana/DR

Reactions: drstock and aarhus

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
UK has their own problems -
Until Dec2 - NOBODY goes on holiday.....

My daughter is trying to juggle flights to here
That's how I found the Montreal/POP connection

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I was for several days asking on AAs chat and now got my flight rebooked for just before christmas SDQ - Miami - London Heathrow and then Copenhagen. But I won’t celebrate before I am on the way. Merry Christmas !