foods we can bring w/us

Kateinyork

Mar 8, 2007
www.facebook.com
To be honest - we are being told by others not to leave the gated community of the resort once we arrive, so not too sure if we will be adventurous enough to go out and find the restaurants that the locals go to......it's funny, my husband and I have traveled to Guadeloupe (French Island) twice - on our own- and never hesitated to go out exploring and checking things out....but we've heard so many stories about D.R. and people getting mugged/robbed - that we are all a bit hesitant to leave the property once we get there.

We were told that too and to be honest I think that's a way of you spending more money with your tour company etc because then you'll only go out if its on overpriced organised trips with them! The first time I went to DR I went alone with my 14 year old daughter and we went out every day and even in the evenings to the local restaurants etc - and to completely honest I felt alot safer there than I do here in the UK! I would say see how you feel when you get there and if you don go out just don;t flash your cash etc - be sensible as you would anywhere that you didn't know. But do enjoy because there's so much there to see it would be a shame to be stuck in your house for your whole holiday.

Paige's mom

Nov 1, 2007
Ha, ha - true....though the chances of getting mugged by a cow or a goat is slim to none....but there was just recently that lady from Texas who was kidnapped while in the DR - thrown into the trunk of her car - and taken to a remote cave.....and later found by the FBI alive.......tripadvisor.com didn't leave us w/a lot of good imiges about the D.R.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Ha, ha - true....though the chances of getting mugged by a cow or a goat is slim to none....but there was just recently that lady from Texas who was kidnapped while in the DR - thrown into the trunk of her car - and taken to a remote cave.....and later found by the FBI alive.......tripadvisor.com didn't leave us w/a lot of good imiges about the D.R.
Crimes do happen anywhere in the world, but bear in mind that the example you are using does not apply to you.
She was a resident, an expat, not a tourist.
One rarely hears of crimes against tourists, other than pickpockets and stuff like that, and it generally occurs when tourists get skunk drunk and they let their guard down.
That's a whole other ball of wax.

Kateinyork

Mar 8, 2007
www.facebook.com

Do a search on lonely planet - good country information there heres the link to the DR

Dominican Republic Travel Information | Lonely Planet Destination Guide

Paige's mom

Nov 1, 2007
thanks - I'll check that out - because as I said earlier - tripadvisor.com scared the crap out of us - telling of rooms/houses being burglarized - if you are involved in an auto accident - and there is injury - you are tossed in jail until you can buy another car!!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
thanks - I'll check that out - because as I said earlier - tripadvisor.com scared the crap out of us - telling of rooms/houses being burglarized - if you are involved in an auto accident - and there is injury - you are tossed in jail until you can buy another car!!
IMHO, tripadvisor is one of the biggest bunches of crap on the net.
people faking reviews, dumb advice, inaccurate data.
It might as well be a tabloid.

Kateinyork

Mar 8, 2007
www.facebook.com
IMHO, tripadvisor is one of the biggest bunches of crap on the net.
people faking reviews, dumb advice, inaccurate data.
It might as well be a tabloid.

I totally agree with you on that one - but Lonely Planet seems to be really good, worth getting the book too, I used it loads when I used to go and visit my now husband, if he had to work I went out and about (alone) and used the book to guide me.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There is a large supermarket (Jumbo) in La Romana. Isn't there also a branch of Nacional in CdC itself? All the things you mention are on sale there.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have stayed in Caso de Campo and in the resort itself there is a sports bar that serves good hamburger....etc. At the Caso de Campo Marina there is a number of stores including a supermarket(small) where they have a good selection of food, wine,....etc. You are perfectly safe going into La Romana during the day or night. Security at Caso de Campo is good, and I think you will be amazed at the size the the resort. The beach is descent(clean) and the golfing is good. There are a number of restaurants Italian, dominican, and pizza at Alto de Chavon-price is in the middle and the food is fair. Very relaxing place, a little slow for young crowd that likes to party but nice anyways. Looking forward to your impressions.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Coffee is certainly not expensive - I would definitely not talk coffee to DR, if I was Dominican I would be insulted :). To be perfectly honest if you're going to a grecery store when you get there I wouldn't take any of those things! - you will find everything you need there and its no more expensive than US (if that's where you're coming from)

How funny it is. I don't bring my coffee to the D.R. but I bring about 30 pounds when I go back to Canada to spend the summer

Sep 19, 2005
that lady from Texas who was kidnapped while in the DR - thrown into the trunk of her car - and taken to a remote cave.....and later found by the FBI aliveD.R.

first of all I want to appologize for the texas lady..i couldnt help myself she was sooo hot and georgous and ,so I had to just grab her.. and I took her where all cave men take their women... ha ha ha

but that is an isolated occurance

if you have a favorite little snack bring it...because the Dominican versions of some snacks are pretty bland.. the little shops will have very little choices of the standard american snacks..maybe pringles are the most common.

but if you dont care aslong as its a snack..you are fine

and since i wont be in town you should be safe leaving the resort!! ha ha

have a blast My sister loved Casa de Campo!!!!!!!!!

the little stores all around the resort have come to realize what they can sell and have probably stocked up on most anything that the average tourist needs!!!!

good luck and have fun

BUT you BETTER give us a report of how it went afterwards....or we will hunt you down and throw you in a trunk!!!!!!!!

bob

Kateinyork

Mar 8, 2007
www.facebook.com
How funny it is. I don't bring my coffee to the D.R. but I bring about 30 pounds when I go back to Canada to spend the summer

Same - I always pack as much as I can into my suitcase when I come back to UK from DR (even though we can get Dominican coffee here - there's something a little special about the Santo Domingo coffee!)

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Same - I always pack as much as I can into my suitcase when I come back to UK from DR (even though we can get Dominican coffee here - there's something a little special about the Santo Domingo coffee!)

I was talking about Santo Domingo coffee. El mejor caf? que hay

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
I brought home (to USA) so much coffee on my last trip that DR Customs pulled my bag and seached it! USA Customs asked if I was opening a store.

5 liters of rum is the limit....roughly 6 750ml bottles when you go home to the USA.

Save the food space when you come down for items you can bring and donate to a local school.....notebooks, pencils etc.