foods we can bring w/us

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
I brought home (to USA) so much coffee on my last trip that DR Customs pulled my bag and seached it! USA Customs asked if I was opening a store.

5 liters of rum is the limit....roughly 6 750ml bottles when you go home to the USA.

Save the food space when you come down for items you can bring and donate to a local school.....notebooks, pencils etc.

5 Liters ?? Is it not 1.14 liter per person ??? Has the law been changed ??

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A note on the supermarket at La Marina.
I have shopped there and it does have a fairly good selection of items. A tad bit on the pricey side, but if you can afford the Marina you can afford shopping there. We did a lot of shopping at the Jumbo and bought a lot of fish and lobster at the place across the street.
Regarding coffee, I would suggest as I have before, that if you can find Cafe Melo, it is an organic, mountain grown coffee like no other in the DR. It should retail for around RD$140 a pound here. It is not sold in the north of the country. I can produce several reliable witnesses who can testify as to its very fine flavor. Of course, I, like most of us here in the DR, do imbibe a sizable quantity of Cafe Santo Domingo...and it is so much better than anything available in the states (although the Cubans insist on Bustello)...

Have a great trip folks....

HB

A

apostropheman

Determining Duty - CBP.gov

"Alcoholic BeveragesOne liter (33.8 fl. oz.) of alcoholic beverages may be included in your exemption if:
  • You are 21 years old.
  • It is for your own use or as a gift.
  • It does not violate the laws of the state in which you arrive.
Federal regulations allow you to bring back more than one liter of alcoholic beverage for personal use, but, as with extra tobacco, you will have to pay duty and Internal Revenue Service tax.

While Federal regulations do not specify a limit on the amount of alcohol you may bring back for personal use, unusual quantities are liable to raise suspicions that you are importing the alcohol for other purposes, such as for resale."

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
The guy's a pyratt and he flashes his police badge, so.........

No MasterBadge needed Rocky....last time through I brought six 750ml bottles.

If my math is right....2 of them is a 1.5 (at least that was how the US Customs officer saw it) I had 6 bottles......U.S. Customs said, it was 4.5 liters and "Welcome Home".....

The time prior I just TOLD the officer I had less than 5 liters, he confirmed with me "Less than 5?" and I said "yes"......and the same thing happened..."Welcome Home"

For what it's worth..... I travel with two carry on bags, a roller and a medium sized backpack. I buy my booze in the duty-free and carry it on as a third......

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
No MasterBadge needed Rocky....last time through I brought six 750ml bottles.

If my math is right....2 of them is a 1.5 (at least that was how the US Customs officer saw it) I had 6 bottles......U.S. Customs said, it was 4.5 liters and "Welcome Home".....

The time prior I just TOLD the officer I had less than 5 liters, he confirmed with me "Less than 5?" and I said "yes"......and the same thing happened..."Welcome Home"

For what it's worth..... I travel with two carry on bags, a roller and a medium sized backpack. I buy my booze in the duty-free and carry it on as a third......
See
http://www.dr1.com/forums/travel-questions/68345-foods-we-can-bring-w-us-5.html#post575593
for the regulations.
Alcoholic Beverages, One liter (33.8 fl. oz.) of alcoholic beverages may be included in your exemption if:

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Rocky, I see what is says and know the law perfectly well.

I am telling you what I do and how things transpired. I have NEVER been asked to pay taxes or duty. My Caribbean rum collection proves it....

Heck there's 5 bottles of Havana Club in the mix!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Rocky, I see what is says and know the law perfectly well.

I am telling you what I do and how things transpired. I have NEVER been asked to pay taxes or duty. My Caribbean rum collection proves it....

Heck there's 5 bottles of Havana Club in the mix!
I'm not saying any different.
I'm just explaining to you what the law states.
You seem to be able to bring in an illegal amount each time, but that does not mean that others can.
Mariposa asked if the law had been changed, so we're responding to her, that it has not.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
As a matter of fact....the last trip in September, the rum was in a mini beach bag tyep deal from Malibu Rum....a CLEAR PLASTIC deal.......they even X-RAYED my bags...the Customs agent would not touch the rum when it came through the machine.

I see people carrying gift boxes of liquor in from the islands (2-3 bottles each). Nothing is said.

Maybe it's my pyratt charm cuz it aint no "flash" that's for sure....and I agre after reading the law, what I bring in is not illegal but they have the right to ask me to pay duty.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
As a matter of fact....the last trip in September, the rum was in a mini beach bag tyep deal from Malibu Rum....a CLEAR PLASTIC deal.......they even X-RAYED my bags...the Customs agent would not touch the rum when it came through the machine.

I see people carrying gift boxes of liquor in from the islands (2-3 bottles each). Nothing is said.

Maybe it's my pyratt charm cuz it aint no "flash" that's for sure....and I agre after reading the law, what I bring in is not illegal but they have the right to ask me to pay duty.
Ya ole' smugglin' Pyratt, you !

N

naturelover

if you read about your home-town on trip advisor you probably wont recognise it

Paige's mom

Nov 1, 2007
OK - I will pass on the coffee info to those in our group that drink coffee - not to pack any, but rather buy it down there and bring some home.... we will look for the fish/lobster market that is across from the JUMBO.....we do have a lot of 'school items' for the kids.....would be nice if we could get away w/bringing home 6 - 750ml bottles of booze!!!

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
My 2 cents worth, as the old saying goes 'when in Rome do as the Romans' also when in the DR do as the Dominicans! leave all of that crap behind and enjoy the local culture!

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
.....would be nice if we could get away w/bringing home 6 - 750ml bottles of booze!!![/QUOTE said:
Well, you can!

After reading all the rules and regs posted by the "know it alls" here, I made a few calls and was told WHY I am able to do what I do and WHERE to find all the information.

There are $200, $800, & $1600 exemptions approved by CBP and they are based on where you have been on holiday and how you carry the booze in.

The Caribbean Basin is part of the "approved list".

I buy my 6 BOTTLES OF DOMINICAN RUM in the airport DUTY FREE and I keep the receipt. This is called "accompanied baggage" and is additional to my carry on that clears Dominican Customs before I reach the "sterile area" of the airport.

Before you go please read this CBP website on EXEMPTIONS
Types of Exemptions - CBP.gov

In brief:

$1,600 Exemption

If you travel to a U.S. insular possession and to one or more of the Caribbean Basin or Andean countries listed above...(the DR is on this list)

"Similarly, you may include five liters of alcoholic beverages in your duty-free exemption" B]as long as one of the liters was produced in one of the countries listed above [/B](see section on Unaccompanied Purchases from Insular Possessions and Caribbean Basin or Andean Countries).[/I]

Just follow the rules posted on the CBP site, keep receipts and declare everything....you'll be fine.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
"You may include two liters of alcoholic beverages with this $800 exemption, as long as one of the liters was produced in one of the countries listed above (see section on Unaccompanied Purchases from Insular Possessions and Caribbean Basin or Andean Countries)."

Do you pay tax on the other 11 liters you sneak through?
Determining Duty - CBP.gov

It looks like anything beyond the first TWO liters is dutiable.

tambo'

Last edited:

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Tambo

This is EZ....originally I was told I was in violation (here in this thread) for one liter. NOW, we are at two....

Go to the link I provided.

Read the rules for exemptions. (Key word is EXEMPTION)

The $1600 exemption allows for 5 liters. You do not have to determine DUTY on DUTY FREE ITEMS....as long as you meet the "tests" of the law which I do every time I return and bring the liquor as "accompanying baggage", there is no issue.

This is one instance where the DR has "favored nation" status...

I don't hide or sneak anything.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I guess I got lucky once.

On a trip back from Santo Domingo, I went into the duty free. I ask for the limits (I was told 5 liters). The attendant told me if I hook him up (I gave him 200 pesos) he would provide me free of charge a Ralph Lauren bag. He told me to fill the bag us much as I can. I will not lie to you, I had 325 USD worth of liquors ( close to 23 bottles of expensive liqours here in NY) and had no problem bringing it to NY. I guess I was lucky. I also did declare it as well. The USD equilavent worth was over 800 USD. I saved close to 500 USD.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Well, you can!

After reading all the rules and regs posted by the "know it alls" here, I made a few calls and was told WHY I am able to do what I do and WHERE to find all the information.

There are $200, $800, & $1600 exemptions approved by CBP and they are based on where you have been on holiday and how you carry the booze in.

The Caribbean Basin is part of the "approved list".

I buy my 6 BOTTLES OF DOMINICAN RUM in the airport DUTY FREE and I keep the receipt. This is called "accompanied baggage" and is additional to my carry on that clears Dominican Customs before I reach the "sterile area" of the airport.

Before you go please read this CBP website on EXEMPTIONS

In brief:

$1,600 Exemption

If you travel to a U.S. insular possession and to one or more of the Caribbean Basin or Andean countries listed above...(the DR is on this list)

"Similarly, you may include five liters of alcoholic beverages in your duty-free exemption" B]as long as one of the liters was produced in one of the countries listed above [/B](see section on Unaccompanied Purchases from Insular Possessions and Caribbean Basin or Andean Countries).[/I]

Just follow the rules posted on the CBP site, keep receipts and declare everything....you'll be fine.

You are right, you may bring more than 1 liter of alcool but with the 1600$ you are allowed(tax exemption) to bring 4 liters of products from the D.R. and not 5 or 6 though. Read the last paragraph of the 1 600$ exemption:

[U]Similarly, you may include five liters of alcoholic beverages in your duty-free exemption, but one of them must be a product of an insular possession. [/U]Four may be products of other countries (see section on Unaccompanied Purchases from Insular Possessions and Caribbean Basin countries).

The D.R. is in the Caribbean Basin not the Insular Possessions.

It's not all the immigration agent that function by the book only. When I comme back from the D.R. , I always bring more alcool than allowed. I have the receipt and I declare it. They never made me pay duty or tax. Let's touch wood..

Paige's mom

Nov 1, 2007
We just returned from our trip - some people in our group did bring Dunkin Donuts coffee, but the coffee in the white package was bought and made the one morning and everyone agreed that it was really good. One couple went out and bought like 15 lbs of it to bring back!! Overall we had a great time. I myself called a number for customs and spoke to a lady and she informed me that each individual could take up to 5 lts of alcohol home....

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
........( close to 23 bottles of expensive liqours here in NY) and had no problem bringing it to NY................

So when is the party? Amazing they will allow that much alcohol in the cabin but I can't get a 0.5 liter bottle of water past security check point.