foods we can bring w/us

Kateinyork

Mar 8, 2007
www.facebook.com
We just returned from our trip - some people in our group did bring Dunkin Donuts coffee, but the coffee in the white package was bought and made the one morning and everyone agreed that it was really good. One couple went out and bought like 15 lbs of it to bring back!! Overall we had a great time. I myself called a number for customs and spoke to a lady and she informed me that each individual could take up to 5 lts of alcohol home....

So come on - did you all have a good time? What did you get up to while you were there? Did you try the local food much?-if so what did you think?

Paige's mom

Nov 1, 2007
We had an AWESOME time - the house we rented was AMAZING (it was in Casa de Campo and on the 2nd hole of the Teeth of the Dog golf course).....my husband and I ventured into LaRomana one day w/a taxi driver for like 2 hours - then 8 of us took a boat ride over to Sonoma Island for the day.....as far as 'food' goes - we had a chef at the house and he cooked us 3 meals a day....I wouldn't say anything was 'out of the ordinary'; but we were kind of freaked out that they don't refrigerate their eggs - they sat on the shelf in the pantry 24/7. But as far as what the chef did cook for us, it was all really good - we had hot soup for lunch and dinner daily.....along w/salad for all 3 meals....and just everything he made was really good, but to me I wouldn't call it 'ethic' food.

queenhelly

Aug 2, 2004
My husband and I are traveling to Cabarete with our four month old. It's a house not a hotel resort. I don't want to over pack baby stuff, normally when my husband and travel we are very good at keeping everything limited to carry-ons and not over packing but now with our little guy, we are checking bags but I still don't want to take my whole house ! Anyway, are diapers expensive ? That's really the only thing I can imagine possibly running out of while there.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
My husband and I are traveling to Cabarete with our four month old. It's a house not a hotel resort. I don't want to over pack baby stuff, normally when my husband and travel we are very good at keeping everything limited to carry-ons and not over packing but now with our little guy, we are checking bags but I still don't want to take my whole house ! Anyway, are diapers expensive ? That's really the only thing I can imagine possibly running out of while there.

You neednt pay excess on overloading your cases with things that can be easily bought here. There are good supermarkets but they are expensve, I can show you where to shop 'local' and cheaper near Cabarete if you wish to pm me

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
As you are used to travelling LIGHT then having TWO checked bags shouldn't be putting a strain on your space available. I would pack food that you KNOW your son likes plus diapers to last at least a week (until you can find your way round the shops etc.)

It would probably be sensible to transfer any/all food items you are bringing from their original GLASS containers into plastic ones. Glass containers can be very heavy!!

Have a GOOD holiday ~ Grahame.

queenhelly

Aug 2, 2004
Well luckily for me, he doesn't really eat food yet. I breastfeed him, so there should be no problem transporting his "food" in their "original packaging" ;)

I do plan on bringing some powdered formula since it may not always be easy to breastfeed and also I'm sure there will be times I want some Presidentes or Pina Coladas and can't breastfeed anyway.

I'm not too worried, it's tempting to overpack because for myself, if I forget something it's not a big deal, but for the baby, I guess I want to be sure I have everything for him. But I have a checklist of things to bring and I think we'll be ok.