Foreigners crying to get DR only Pizza choice!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Using the word PIZZA in the same sentence as Pizza Hut, Little Ceasar's, even Papa John's is an oxymoron and I thing actually illegal in many places. :)

what do you mean "even"? this one is also disgusting. tastes like soggy economy line pizza from frozen section in tesco.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Pizza as known today is an American-Italian invention. Post WWII it even came to Italy.

In the DR, if the restaurant is run by real Italians, one must instruct them to keep the dough thin, add basil, garlic, extra cheese, olive oil and to shake on parmesan at the end.

Except for the real Italians' restaurant "Stefy and Natale" in PoP which has the best outside of NYC — arguably better.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
For a quick and simple pizza:

use casabe al ajillo (garlic casabe) — Guaraguano is best
spread on some sauce (Victorina condimentada is best), a little wet so it softens the casabe
top with shredded queso de hoja (leaf cheese, same as mozzarella)
garnish with oregano, basil and garlic
add a spiral of olive oil
and sprinkle with Parmasano.

Pop it into the microwave, or if you want it browned, bake it under the broiler.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Pizza Hut pizza's are nothing more than a loaf of bread made from frozen dough and smothered with more chemicals than you will find in a Ferreteria....nasty.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Pizza as known today is an American-Italian invention. Post WWII it even came to Italy.

In the DR, if the restaurant is run by real Italians, one must instruct them to keep the dough thin, add basil, garlic, extra cheese, olive oil and to shake on parmesan at the end.

Except for the real Italians' restaurant "Stefy and Natale" in PoP which has the best outside of NYC — arguably better.

Where is this restaurant located?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

you will get no argument from me there. the absolute best pizza i have had in this country. the crust is orders of magnitude better than anything else.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I am still trying to understand the pizza with corn on it. Maybe it is me (probably is ) but it just doesn't sound or look all that appetizing to me. Tried it once and that was enough for me.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I am still trying to understand the pizza with corn on it. Maybe it is me (probably is ) but it just doesn't sound or look all that appetizing to me.

i don't trust corn. it looks the same going out as coming in. maybe it's reusable.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Yes DV8 is correct same coming in and same coming out...one of the many problems I have with corn.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Except for the real Italians' restaurant "Stefy and Natale" in PoP which has the best outside of NYC ? arguably better.

I checked their web site. That pizza looks nothing at all like pizza to me from where I am from in NY. It does look like Italian style pizza, or as I call it, Pizza wit' nuttin' on it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am still trying to understand the pizza with corn on it. Maybe it is me (probably is ) but it just doesn't sound or look all that appetizing to me. Tried it once and that was enough for me.

Anyone who has had pizza with corn on it and liked it cannot be trusted to provide an opinion on pizza.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I don't mind corn (Do you guys chew your food?)...Pineapple on the other hand does not belong on Pizza IMO.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
For a quick and simple pizza:

use casabe al ajillo (garlic casabe) ? Guaraguano is best
spread on some sauce (Victorina condimentada is best), a little wet so it softens the casabe
top with shredded queso de hoja (leaf cheese, same as mozzarella)
garnish with oregano, basil and garlic
add a spiral of olive oil
and sprinkle with Parmasano.

Pop it into the microwave, or if you want it browned, bake it under the broiler.
That is all it takes to make cassabe taste good.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
I've had lots of different pizza here in Santiago. Mochi's, Pizzarelli's, Minay's, Dominos, Pizza Hut, and plenty of others. They all suck to be honest. All of their sauces are watered down and they don't put enough sauce on the whole pizza to make sure every slice has a sufficient amount.

If anyone, and I mean seriously, has a good idea of where to get a REAL pizza in Santiago, please, please, please, I'm begging you, please, let me know

:)