Foreigners crying to get DR only Pizza choice!

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
You Must be joking! You are hyping Pizza Hut? We are laughing till we cry. Pizza Hut? As awful as the awful Pizzarelli. I would advise anyone in PC area to go to Venezia for some very good pizza. Are you employed by pizza hut? Pizza Hut, Tony Romas, outback steak, etc etc serve some of the worst food for the highest prices. Do yourself a favor people and do not go to any of
these kinds of places. Support the homegrown restaurants and food places!

May 5, 2007
Anchovies baby!!!! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Funny, many shops I frequent know me because I am one of the few that orders the little fishies. :)

Funny thing about those little anchovies, love them or hate em I remember back in school we would be sitting around at local bar having a few beers, ask if anyone was hungry “no” well as soon as I ordered a pizza it would be “Can I have one slice” until it was gone I started ordering my pizza with anchovies and no one would touch it You can pick them off but the taste Is cooked in I learned to love the little critters

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Decent pizza in arroyo hondo/cuesta hermosa is "Forno Bravo" thin crust pizza, really good they are just a little bit cheap on the ingredients.

But yeah, DR sucks for pizza, not like back home at all :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
For a quick and simple pizza:

use casabe al ajillo (garlic casabe) ? Guaraguano is best
spread on some sauce (Victorina condimentada is best), a little wet so it softens the casabe
top with shredded queso de hoja (leaf cheese, same as mozzarella)
garnish with oregano, basil and garlic
add a spiral of olive oil
and sprinkle with Parmasano.

Pop it into the microwave, or if you want it browned, bake it under the broiler.

I will admit, that is a very dominican pizza.. doesn't sound very good though :(

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Funny thing about those little anchovies, love them or hate em I remember back in school we would be sitting around at local bar having a few beers, ask if anyone was hungry “no” well as soon as I ordered a pizza it would be “Can I have one slice” until it was gone I started ordering my pizza with anchovies and no one would touch it You can pick them off but the taste Is cooked in I learned to love the little critters

My secret has been exposed.

Back when growing up in the land of horrible weather but great pizza, my parents used to order pizza by calling one of the several excellent pizzerias near us and order "pizza with everything but the fish". What that meant was an Italian sausage and mushroom pizza, minus the anchovies. (at the time Pepperoni was also more than "everything".) It was not until much later that I learned what I was missing without the anchovies and how they also kept my pizza, my pizza by warding off others like garlic wards off vampires.

May 29, 2006
I've have enough experience now working pizza that I could prob open a shop in the DR. But I wouldn't want to compete with Dominican shops using queso plastico and other garbage ingredients. An 18" XL pizza uses about a pound of whole milk Mozzarella which is about twice the price of cheap cheese. The dough and sauce will cost under a dollar per pie.

As for pizza giving someone heartburn or other stomach issues, it may be from them leaving their sauce or cooked pizzas out at room temp all day. Dough can also mold if it's not used within about two days, even in the fridge.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I like anchovies but I have met many many that would not go near it and never have tried them too.
It's like corn on Pizza. Dominicans love it on theirs but those that who knows real pizza would not order it.
Difference is they will try corn pizza if they are hungry enough and hates it but not anchovies, they will rather die in hunger and still hates it because it's fish.