foreigners real estate to crash

Feb 7, 2007
Ramesses, if you are a parent of Dominican child, you qualify for residency. And even if you do not have residency the law states that you cannot be deported.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
One line in that link would let me have residency if it were true in the DR

if you have a DR Child, correctly declared in your name, you qualify for Residency without the big $$$ requirements and are excepted form deportations anyways.
rulings in Colombia and the DR are not much different on their basics.
Colombia already has that comfy 90 days tourist visa, which can be extended once for an other 90 days,
it is the one which the DR has in the work/to come, too.
let the dust of handing out those Cards from regularization of the illegal folks, and the next steps of the package will take place.
it all gooes by Islandtime, on Tortuga Pace.
and Vacay with the family in Colombia is anyways a great thing,
they sure do not complain about the fact that you meet them there instead of their house in DR, lol.
make sure that your child is correctly registered in your name, in DR it is the Father's turn to declare a child, that way you can get the birth certificate variation named "Acta de nacimiento En Extensa". it is the BC which certifies that you are the father.
one other situation, where you need that kind of BC, is for example if you want to give your child double citizenship(i don't know about the rules of your country on the matter, can only speak about german rules).
the german embassy accepts that BC as proof that you are the father, so according to german law my DR born daughter been subscribed in the Birth Registry of my birthtown in germany and became right away a german BC and german Passport issued.

have fun in Colombia

Mike

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yes. Back in USA the Americans always bitch because those illegals are allowed to drive and send their kids to school just as if they were human.

And I indeed am one of those Americans that thinks people that are illegally in any country, including the country of my birth, should be deported and certainly not be given licenses and rights.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Here is an idea...rent instead of buying. It makes title fraud go away too. Renters don't fear market crash or sweat property values. Of course, there is the question of equity and being able to afford rent increases. It's not for everyone, nothing is.

Many on DR1 seem to think people stay long enough to become a resident. Snowbirds at this time cannot get legal....many, many condos and homes are held by snowbirds. Many things for people staying less than 6 months are going to be a problem.

Wish it were as simple as "Just get legal". I know I have made other plans, with other countries as they are much easier to deal with as far as immigration goes.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
CODIA warns that 90% of the works are executed in the Dominican Republic are illegal | AlMomento.net

CODIA advierte de que 90% de las obras se ejecutan en Dominicana son ilegales | AlMomento.net

An even better negotiating position now for those who stay, more so now that CODIA are saying that 90% of the average of 112,000 homes built every year in DR are built without the necessary building approvals.

Won't PICHARDO be SURPRISED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You mean that the new government schools buildings are NOT being built with "Earthquake" protection codes more strict than California????

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
The Canadians I know think it is 6 months and a day. ANd why would it be that they cannot get residency here?

It's actually only 153 days. Most snowbirds do not spend 6 months or more away from home. None I know do.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
And I am the tool who pays $30,000+ in payroll taxes every year. But the lefties have something to feel good about. Then people wonder why I am leaving the states!
But I won't be like the illegal in my country I will be legal in the R.D

Last edited by a moderator:

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
And I am the tool who pays $30,000+ in payroll taxes every year. But the lefties have something to feel good about. Then people wonder why I am leaving the states!
But I won't be like the illegal in my country I will be legal in the R.D

Question. If you become a legal resident of RD, are you exempt from US taxes?

I am wondering if this is true for Canadians also?

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Won't PICHARDO be SURPRISED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You mean that the new government schools buildings are NOT being built with "Earthquake" protection codes more strict than California????

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I can believe that the vast majority of houses and villas built or extended privately in DR don't have the required approvals.

From experience large projects do.

If I were buying a property from any owner I would expect a certified building approval and completion certificate and without such expect a very large discount.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I don't have to pay taxes to the DR on income earned outside of the DR but I do have to pay taxes to Canada on that income. The only way to stop taxes is to give up citizenship.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

A US citizen is virtually never exempt from US taxes unless you decide to give up that citizenship. Simply becoming a citizen of another country will not reduce your US tax burden. The only other country like that in the world is some African one. So no, Canadians and all other countries do not have this issue.

That said, some income earned out of the US is not taxed, but you have not stated specifically what taxes you mean.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011

Ok, great question. I know this answer because my brother lives and works in Singapore year round.
If an American citizen resides overseas for 6 months and a day he is exempt from paying taxes on income made outside of the U.S.A. . The citizens is still required to file a tax return, of an U.S. Citizen living abroad. The first $100,000 , unless it's changed is tax exempt.
If any income made inside the U.S.A., is taxable, for example rent, investment, government programs, pensions.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
A US citizen is virtually never exempt from US taxes unless you decide to give up that citizenship. Simply becoming a citizen of another country will not reduce your US tax burden. The only other country like that in the world is some African one. So no, Canadians and all other countries do not have this issue.

That said, some income earned out of the US is not taxed, but you have not stated specifically what taxes you mean.

I was thinking income tax.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I was thinking income tax.

If the income is made wholly in the DR, then there is a seizable exemption.

Foreign Earned Income Exclusion

If you meet certain requirements, you may qualify for the foreign earned income and foreign housing exclusions and the foreign housing deduction.

If you are a U.S. citizen or a resident alien of the United States and you live abroad, you are taxed on your worldwide income. However, you may qualify to exclude from income up to an amount of your foreign earnings that is adjusted annually for inflation ($92,900 for 2011, $95,100 for 2012, $97,600 for 2013, $99,200 for 2014 and $100,800 for 2015). In addition, you can exclude or deduct certain foreign housing amounts.

You may also be entitled to exclude from income the value of meals and lodging provided to you by your employer. Refer to Exclusion of Meals and Lodging in Publication 54, Tax Guide for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad, and Publication 15-B, Employer's Tax Guide to Fringe Benefits for more information.

For purposes of the foreign earned income exclusion, the foreign housing exclusion, and the foreign housing deduction, foreign earned income does not include any amounts paid by the United States or any of its agencies to its employees. This includes amounts paid from both appropriated and nonappropriated funds. Also, if you are a U.S. Government employee paid by a U.S. agency that assigned you to a foreign government to perform specific services for which the agency is reimbursed by the foreign government, your pay is from the U.S. Government and does not qualify for exclusion or

Foreign Earned Income Exclusion

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011

I believe you are referring to my post. Reread my answer to R and you will see where I said what taxes your have to pay.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004

You are NEVER exempt from US tax if you are a US citizen. Even if you have dual citizenship you are not exempt. It used to be called slavery, now it is called the IRS.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The US content is about taxation while in the DR. I see that as relevant when people ask about what can happen when they are in the DR.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I can believe that the vast majority of houses and villas built or extended privately in DR don't have the required approvals.

From experience large projects do.

If I were buying a property from any owner I would expect a certified building approval and completion certificate and without such expect a very large discount.

That should narrow down your choices to...... 2 or 3 houses on the island :).

Oh, wait a minute, I could probably buy said certificate for a couple of thousand pesos..... so your choices are open again :)