Frank Reyes - Dominican soon to be abroad in Miami

Status
Not open for further replies.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It doesn't need to be huge outside the Spanish speaking world, for example, Romeo Santos has MILLIONS of $$$ purely from that...

that is exactly my point. Romeo Santos has millions made inside the Spanish speaking world. i bet nobody in Nigeria has ever heard of him.

Jul 28, 2014
that is exactly my point. Romeo Santos has millions made inside the Spanish speaking world. i bet nobody in Nigeria has ever heard of him.

Not sure he would even care about that, I know if I made millions only singing English songs, I could care less if most of the world didn't know me. I'd just keep sipping the Margaritas on my Yacht....

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Not sure he would even care about that, I know if I made millions only singing English songs, I could care less if most of the world didn't know me. I'd just keep sipping the Margaritas on my Yacht....

that is not the point. NALS said it was huge outside the Spanish speaking world, and it is not. it is a curiosity for a few people who want to dance the new thing. outside the Spanish world, it will come and go as fast as the Lambada did.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Your stats about that were obtained from where???

i have looked at all the images on youtube for bachata, and i have never seen any show or concert that depicts a crowd of any kind outside of the Spanish speaking world. a few videos with a hundred or so people dancing to some songs does not mean it is HUGE. if i have never found one video of a decent sized concert, that is all the stats i need.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
that's exactly what it is.

Well it certainly WAS. I remember Mr. AE saying that when he was young it was only the low class chopas and campesinos that liked bachata. He still doesn't like it, he's old school and loves his merengue though.

It's pretty mainstream now though.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You know, gorgon, that you're getting to be a broken record about bachata. Repeating yourself over and over whenever the word bachata is mentioned gets old. As a comparison, think Chip and abortion, his 'trigger' word. Yours is definitely 'bachata'. You do know that you aren't going to change anyone's mind any more than he will, right???

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You know, gorgon, that you're getting to be a broken record about bachata. Repeating yourself over and over whenever the word bachata is mentioned gets old. As a comparison, think Chip and abortion, his 'trigger' word. Yours is definitely 'bachata'. You do know that you aren't going to change anyone's mind any more than he will, right???

this is an internet forum, and people are entitled to their opinions. you might not like what i say, but i reserve my right to say it. when someone says that bachata is huge outside the Spanish speaking world, that is just absolutely incorrect, and i will dispute that assertion a million times, if it is made a million times. outside of Spanish audiences, it has a very small following.

i do not post to change people?s minds on any subject. if someone wants to believe that bachata is HUGE outside the Spanish speaking world, then let them remain deluded. it does not bother me.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
How is bachata big outside of the Spanish speaking world? Where did you get your stats?
Romeo IS big outside the Spanish speaking world, that is the artist, not the genre.

When you say a complete genre is huge, perhaps you could provide info on this?

R and B is huge. Motown was huge. you can go to any country on earth and mention the name Stevie Wonder, and everyone knows who you are talking about. Curtis Mayfield has been gone for many years, but if you say his name today, people know who he was. same goes for Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, and others. Rock is huge. if Mick Jagger gets off a plane in Botswana, everyone knows who just disembarked.

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
Bachata is not just a "local" genre. I am definitely not a fan but nowadays it seems that everywhere I go bachata is playing in the background.
From the boarding music on an airplane, local restaurants, at every turn of the radio dial,
on my Cancun vacation and on and on. They even have bachata classes at our local University and I live in a town that's as gringo as it gets.
So yes, to my dismay, it's becoming a trend.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Doubt it. We are in the electronica era.

Today's modern R&B (what they call contemporary R&B) has been around since the 80s. Bachata since the early 70s.
Dissemination of music is geared towards potential listeners that turn in profit. Doubt this will be the case.
Electronica/Dubstep/House has been around for very few years and look what has happened.

sorry to disappoint you, Sanky, but house has been around since the 80s.

Jul 28, 2014
you will notice that in one of the articles it states the disclaimer that even if it does not catch on in the Anglophone world, there are 50 million Hispanics in the USA alone.

precisely my point. it is big in the Hispanic community, but not outside of it.

It's interesting that Romeo comes to Toronto EVERY YEAR, pretty sure his promoters wouldn't have him return if he wasn't making money, and FYI, neither Ontario/nor Toronto has many Hispanics.

The Latin Canadian population comprises 1.2% of the population as of 2011
Source Wikipedia > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_American_Canadian

Must be mere coincidence on his sales...

Status
Not open for further replies.