Frank Reyes - Dominican soon to be abroad in Miami

Status
Not open for further replies.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It's interesting that Romeo comes to Toronto EVERY YEAR, pretty sure his promoters wouldn't have him return if he wasn't making money, and FYI, neither Ontario/nor Toronto has many Hispanics.

The Latin Canadian population comprises 1.2% of the population as of 2011
Source Wikipedia > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_American_Canadian

Must be mere coincidence on his sales...

he goes to Toronto, where the majority of those 1.2% of the population resides. it is not hard to sell out a venue in Toronto, because that and Montreal are the cities where the Hispanics are.

when he plays a house in Winnipeg, get back to me.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
Any show he puts on is well attended. Interesting statement by Frank.

And Miami will be better? Do Cubans and Puerto Ricans like Bachata?

That seems to be all they like now a day. Miami is a nice city as long as you stay out of the slums. You cannot compare Miami with the DR. There always electricity and you can actually wear jewelry at night while walking around after dark.

Jul 28, 2014
he goes to Toronto, where the majority of those 1.2% of the population resides. it is not hard to sell out a venue in Toronto, because that and Montreal are the cities where the Hispanics are.

when he plays a house in Winnipeg, get back to me.

LOL, Rolling Stones don't even go to Winnipeg... Ya know, that group where people from Zimbabwe even know them...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
LOL, Rolling Stones don't even go to Winnipeg... Ya know, that group where people from Zimbabwe even know them...

yes, maybe they did not. however, they could have packed a house there, because rock was big in that part of the world. that is where the band Guess Who came from.

as far as bringing Romeo to Canada...you don?t need a filled stadium to make money on a concert. Carnegie Hall holds 3500 people.

trucker

Mar 20, 2011
He is playing in columbus ohio on saturday the 8 th. Free in the park. Other bachata bands playing also. Joe veras last year, zacharia ferrias and others also. Believe there are at least 3 nighclubs that have live bachata bands often. Tickets i hace seen go for $60. Less than half of the people going are latinos. Big in ohio.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
He is playing in columbus ohio on saturday the 8 th. Free in the park. Other bachata bands playing also. Joe veras last year, zacharia ferrias and others also. Believe there are at least 3 nighclubs that have live bachata bands often. Tickets i hace seen go for $60. Less than half of the people going are latinos. Big in ohio.

tell us what size crowds he is drawing. i have seen Andean flute bands playing free concerts in Times Square.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
When I left Panama in 2000 for Europe I never even had heard of Bachata. I was introduced to it by my Antillean friends in Holland. When I got back to Panama in 2003 you could hear it all over, all the cab drivers were playing it in the car.
Now back in Holland it's not only the Latinos living here who listen to it, it's also many Cheeseheads who love it and their number is growing!!!
It will be spreading, sorry Gorgon ;)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
When I left Panama in 2000 for Europe I never even had heard of Bachata. I was introduced to it by my Antillean friends in Holland. When I got back to Panama in 2003 you could hear it all over, all the cab drivers were playing it in the car.
Now back in Holland it's not only the Latinos living here who listen to it, it's also many Cheeseheads who love it and their number is growing!!!
It will be spreading, sorry Gorgon ;)

when it gets HUGE, call me.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Here is one bachatero in his own concert in Rome, Italy... Seems global to me.

[video=youtube;8mtfnUgUcPI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mtfnUgUcPI[/video]

Bachata and merengue are the two Dominican genres that have become truly international. Salsa, which isn't a Dominican genre but is popular in many countries, also received important Dominican inputs. I don't remember his name, but it was a Dominican that actually made salsa popular on an international level. Maybe I will find a video I once saw of that guy.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This is the guy, Johnny Pacheco. He even gave salsa its name.

[video=youtube;GoGZQSVYmms]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoGZQSVYmms[/video]

Tony Cabrera

Sep 24, 2002
Bachata

Bachata and merengue are the two Dominican genres that have become truly international. Salsa, which isn't a Dominican genre but is popular in many countries, also received important Dominican inputs. I don't remember his name, but it was a Dominican that actually made salsa popular on an international level. Maybe I will find a video I once saw of that guy.

Johnnie Pacheco, from Santiago, RD.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
Johnny Pacheco, he was the genius behind Salsa.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Pacheco

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Johnny was raised in NY from the age of 11. Colon was born in NY.

Pioneers of Salsa.. Being born in DR really did not mean anything to Pacheco. Just as an FYI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's not forget Jerry Masucci of Fania Records who Pacheco met while he was getting a divorce. :)

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
He probably wins more awards in the US than in the DR (Premios Casandra is the biggest award ceremony among Dominican musicians/artists/tv personalities.) Even Dominicans that live and do most of their work outside the DR often get awards in the Casandra. Even descendants of Dominicans born and living abroad get recognitions in those awards.

He isn't alone, many bachateros complain that there is a form of prejudice against the genre, which is true but it used to be much worse. At one point simply being seen passing in front of a place blasting bachata was enough to get the chismosos chatting and for many young people to realize they were in trouble by the time they reached their homes. Bachata was the lowliest of the lowly music, avoided by anyone that thought of themselves at least somewhat respectable people.

Now Bachata is huge in the Spanish-speaking world and even beyond.

I don't think the awards are called the "Casandra" ANYMORE.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

If dominican prostitutes working around the world bought just one of his records he'd make millions from them ALONE!!!!

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
I don't think the awards are called the "Casandra" ANYMORE.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

If dominican prostitutes working around the world bought just one of his records he'd make millions from them ALONE!!!!

Well, they are the unofficial ambassadors of Bachata because that's how it got introduced in Curacao in "Campo Alegre".
:bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny:

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Romeo Santos has millions made inside the Spanish speaking world. I bet nobody in Nigeria has ever heard of him.

There are certain markets that for whatever reasons (economic development, cultural and/or political constraints) certain types of music do not penetrate.

What sets a certain type of music apart these days is the type of money available in other countries to touring artists. Now that everyone downloads and otherwise copies music without paying for it, the money for recording artists is in touring. That money used to go to the record companies, but their power is waning to the point where they will no longer be needed for an artist to put out music.

It is therefore impossible to gauge a music's popularity in certain markets judged solely by record sales or a couple of people dancing to it in some faraway country.

An artist like Romeo makes good money due to a couple of converging circumstances-the need for a Latin heartthrob in the Latino community coupled with the fact that his genre is bereft of competition. He's been able to make good money in the markets that matter-The United States and to some extent Western Europe, where the real money is. Anything south of the border is gravy for him, and that gravy is strong for him right now.

But none of these are the reasons why Frank Reyes wants to leave to Miami, because he's not an artist on par with Romeo. It could be anything. Maybe he wants the quality of his day-to-day life to improve. Maybe Reyes is tired of family members mooching off him. Maybe he's being extorted. He can still perform in the DR if he so chooses, and where he lives has no bearing on where he chooses to perform.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Johnny was raised in NY from the age of 11. Colon was born in NY.

Pioneers of Salsa.. Being born in DR really did not mean anything to Pacheco. Just as an FYI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's not forget Jerry Masucci of Fania Records who Pacheco met while he was getting a divorce. :)
That's funny, because he gives the complete opposite impression of that in the interview I posted. Maybe you should watch it and tell us what you think.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

NALS, the fact that bachateros are giving concerts all over the globe does not mean that it is big anywhere. when an Italian guy can start a bachata band in Italy, and become rich playing to Italian audiences, then it is big there.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
That's funny, because he gives the complete opposite impression of that in the interview I posted. Maybe you should watch it and tell us what you think.

I did watch. He does give his props to his pop that inspired him by giving him gifts of instruments at the age of 7.

Other than that and indicating that he loves his country, his inspirations were Tito Rodriguez (Puerto Rican), Tito Puente (Puerto Rican), and Celia Cruz (Cuban). No mention of ANY Dominican singers or did he ever get into Bachata or Merengue.

While he loves where he comes from, his true admiration were those who paved the way for the creation of Salsa.

Sorry, but that is what I got out of the interview. BTW, his wife is Cuban.

Brief note:

Johnny Pacheco, born in Dominican Republic, Santiago de los Caballeros (80 years old) (born 25 March 1935) is a Dominican musician arranger producer and bandleader of Cuban music (guaracha son montuno danz?n cha cha ch? guajira-son pachanga). He is one of the most influential figures in Latin music best known for being the creator of the Fania All-Stars and for coining the term Salsa to denote the genre.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.