Frank Reyes - Dominican soon to be abroad in Miami

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
that is exactly my point. Romeo Santos has millions made inside the Spanish speaking world. i bet nobody in Nigeria has ever heard of him.

Nor do I know of any music artist from Nigeria either. Romeo unfortunately does not have the following in the US that he would like. Lets hope that Frank Reyes does better considering his music is superior to Romeo or Prince Royce. I'd like to see him pull off a Carlos Santana with his music as Santana did with his Mexican Salsa based rock and roll.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Give Bachata a couple of more years and then it will be like R&B. ;)

Or when Romeo starts singing Bachata.

Exactly! furthermore, when he does it with his own voice, and not with vocorders and autotune.

And don't forget straight up lip-synching, something many artists resort to, even rappers. I was watching a documentary called "The Show" and Biggie Smalls lip-synched one of his performances. I could tell because when he was in a call-and-response segment with the absolutely dreadful P. Diddy, Biggie totally missed a call-out response and then tried to fake it by coming in way late. I felt embarrassed for him.

As for Romeo, he is a pretty-boy media contrivance. He's the baja-panties crooner that Latin women (and women of other natonalities) swoon over, but that doesn't mean he can sing.

When he can sell an album based on the merits of the quality of the music and singing, instead of having to utilize 50 guest stars from other genres as crutches, then you can say he's doing something as an artist. Other than that, bleh. He does nothing for me.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I did watch. He does give his props to his pop that inspired him by giving him gifts of instruments at the age of 7.

Other than that and indicating that he loves his country, his inspirations were Tito Rodriguez (Puerto Rican), Tito Puente (Puerto Rican), and Celia Cruz (Cuban). No mention of ANY Dominican singers or did he ever get into Bachata or Merengue.

While he loves where he comes from, his true admiration were those who paved the way for the creation of Salsa.

Sorry, but that is what I got out of the interview. BTW, his wife is Cuban.

Brief note:

Johnny Pacheco, born in Dominican Republic, Santiago de los Caballeros (80 years old) (born 25 March 1935) is a Dominican musician arranger producer and bandleader of Cuban music (guaracha son montuno danz?n cha cha ch? guajira-son pachanga). He is one of the most influential figures in Latin music best known for being the creator of the Fania All-Stars and for coining the term Salsa to denote the genre.
They also showed a clip when he received his Casandra award and he very clearly said that it was his most important one because he received it in his country. That's in spite of his other awards he received outside the DR, many of which are technically more important in the greater scheme of things, but for him the awards received in the DR are the most important.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
people here are dismayed by my distaste for bachata, and i would like to explain why i do not care much for it.

if i go to a competitive swim meet, i want to see someone like Michael Phelps. i want to see someone who will amaze me. that is why i went. i want to see Carl Lewis and Usain Bolt run. i do not want to see people who do not amaze me with their abilities. worse of all, i do not want to see people playing music that i can. i am a very mediocre bass player, and i can sit in on a bachata band, because the music is so simple and limited that even i can play the bass lines. if i can play it, i have no regard for it.

i can sit and listen to someone like Frank Sinatra for a week. same for Marvin Gaye, and people like those. i sit and wonder how they do it. people like Romeo Santos are dime a dozen. if he did not have the physical attributes to be a Latin heartthrob, he would be working at the DMV.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
people here are dismayed by my distaste for bachata, and i would like to explain why i do not care much for it.

if i go to a competitive swim meet, i want to see someone like Michael Phelps. i want to see someone who will amaze me. that is why i went. i want to see Carl Lewis and Usain Bolt run. i do not want to see people who do not amaze me with their abilities. worse of all, i do not want to see people playing music that i can. i am a very mediocre bass player, and i can sit in on a bachata band, because the music is so simple and limited that even i can play the bass lines. if i can play it, i have no regard for it.

i can sit and listen to someone like Frank Sinatra for a week. same for Marvin Gaye, and people like those. i sit and wonder how they do it. people like Romeo Santos are dime a dozen. if he did not have the physical attributes to be a Latin heartthrob, he would be working at the DMV.

You're allowed to dislike it, it's not important WHY you don't like it, it's the constant barrage of posts about your "distaste" that grates. I don't like much of anything Latin when it comes to music, about the only ones I've ever spent a penny on buying music [for myself] are Gloria Estefan, Julio Iglesias, Juan Luis Guerra. I don't like merengue, bachata or salsa, but I'm around it because of my family. I don't rant about hating hip-hop, but I could. Same with the twangy country music.

We go when our son is performing, because we support whatever he does. Tomorrow night he's at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, if anyone's in Philly. :)

If I'm not interested in a topic, or dislike something being discussed, I skip the thread or I don't post. That's just me I guess, I don't need to constantly beat people over the head with my tastes.

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
Interesting thread and I appreciate all your oppinions! I have been following Frank Reyes' carreer since the early 2000s. I love Bachata and I have taken in any and all local Artists that performed in the Cabarete/Puerto Plata area. It is regrettable to no longer be able to catch a concert with Frank at a small venue in the area. Frank Reyes has a beautiful voice and to compare him with Romeo Santos is crazy!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You're allowed to dislike it, it's not important WHY you don't like it, it's the constant barrage of posts about your "distaste" that grates. I don't like much of anything Latin when it comes to music, about the only ones I've ever spent a penny on buying music [for myself] are Gloria Estefan, Julio Iglesias, Juan Luis Guerra. I don't like merengue, bachata or salsa, but I'm around it because of my family. I don't rant about hating hip-hop, but I could. Same with the twangy country music.

We go when our son is performing, because we support whatever he does. Tomorrow night he's at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, if anyone's in Philly. :)

If I'm not interested in a topic, or dislike something being discussed, I skip the thread or I don't post. That's just me I guess, I don't need to constantly beat people over the head with my tastes.

there are people in this site who beat Hilary Clinton and Obama over the head at every opportunity. people start threads to ridicule these people on a daily basis. i don?t see you getting into those threads , telling the posters how they are making constant barrages of negative posts against those people.

apparently, this is personal. you don?t like the comments and the approach because of who is doing it.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
there are people in this site who beat Hilary Clinton and Obama over the head at every opportunity. people start threads to ridicule these people on a daily basis. i don?t see you getting into those threads , telling the posters how they are making constant barrages of negative posts against those people.

apparently, this is personal. you don?t like the comments and the approach because of who is doing it.

If you really believe that, I feel sorry for you.

And 99% of the Hillary & Obama bashings are in Off Topic, only 2 moderators there, and I'm not one of them.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
If you really believe that, I feel sorry for you.

And 99% of the Hillary & Obama bashings are in Off Topic, only 2 moderators there, and I'm not one of them.

i realize that you are a moderator, and i am not going to get into it with you on the forum. however, my motto in life is that whatever i accord to others, i accord to myself, and whatever i accord to myself, i accord to others. you have repeatedly deleted my postings if they are the least bit off topic. yet, look at the thread on Puerto Rico defaulting, in which you launched into a dissertation on mayonnaise. think about how you would have rseponded if i had done that.

all i ask for in my life is fair treatment. no favors. just a little equality.

Status
Not open for further replies.