german tourists attacked and robbed in POP

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
A tally is not necessary. Here is what the US state department says about Trinidad & Tobago.
Trinidad & Tobago
Its more or less the same for Jamaica....etc. There are more Tourists going to the DR than most other island destinations, and the sex mongers/tourists/visitors I'll bet are a big part of those being assaulted. Why don't you research that in your spare time.

bob, i am fully aware that there are incidents on all the islands. wherever there are hordes of poor and desperate people, they will find foreigners to be easy targets of opportunity. it is not uncommon for agencies like the US State Department to make hyperbolic and melodramatic assessments of the conditions, portraying these places to be precipitously dangerous, when, in reality, they are not that dangerous for tourists. places like Trini and Jamaica have high rates of violence, but most of it is gang and politically motivated. it does not affect the tourist segment as much as it is portrayed to do.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
bob, i am fully aware that there are incidents on all the islands. wherever there are hordes of poor and desperate people, they will find foreigners to be easy targets of opportunity. it is not uncommon for agencies like the US State Department to make hyperbolic and melodramatic assessments of the conditions, portraying these places to be precipitously dangerous, when, in reality, they are not that dangerous for tourists. places like Trini and Jamaica have high rates of violence, but most of it is gang and politically motivated. it does not affect the tourist segment as much as it is portrayed to do.

Almost all the islands are the same as the DR. There is a certain segment of the population in almost every country that preys on tourists, and then there is the group that normally preys on their own people but will attack the tourist or expat when the opportunity arises.
Crime and Safety in Jamaica - How to Stay Safe and Secure on a Jamaica Vacation

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Almost all the islands are the same as the DR. There is a certain segment of the population in almost every country that preys on tourists, and then there is the group that normally preys on their own people but will attack the tourist or expat when the opportunity arises.
Crime and Safety in Jamaica - How to Stay Safe and Secure on a Jamaica Vacation

bob, did you bother to read this part?

Jamaica has one of the world's highest per-capita murder rates, and a 2010 state of emergency threw the harsh glare of publicity on the violent gang and drug culture in the capital, Kingston. Violent crime can be a real problem in Kingston and other parts of the country, but typically such crimes involve attacks by Jamaicans on other Jamaicans and revolve around drugs, gangs, politics, poverty, or revenge.

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
Gorgon, although I have been on dr1 and reading your posts for a few years and have agreed with you on many occasions
you are stubborn in the dictionary sense as well as presenting your positions in a far to argumentative stance. You do not need to always react to a disagreement with your position. It is a sign of immaturity. No offense as you often present cogent and
logical responses. You need not react or respond to every post.
,att

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Gorgon, although I have been on dr1 and reading your posts for a few years and have agreed with you on many occasions
you are stubborn in the dictionary sense as well as presenting your positions in a far to argumentative stance. You do not need to always react to a disagreement with your position. It is a sign of immaturity. No offense as you often present cogent and
logical responses. You need not react or respond to every post.
,att

sosuamatt, first off, thanks for your complimentary remarks. secondly, let us get some things in perspective here. i might be argumentative, and that is my nature. however, i can never be accused of having started a fight here. i respect everyone's right to have a differing opinion. it is the presentation that bothers me. how is it that i have never fought with a guy like windeguy, whose politics are so radically different than mine? why do we have a cordial relationship? how is it that i can have a very good relationship with posters like Berzin, and Greydread, and Drob, and Africaida, and Lucifer, even when we have differences of opinion? know why? they respect my right to speak.

i do, however, agree with you about responses to every posting. life is a learning curve, even when you are old. some postings are not worthy of a response.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Stop nitpicking and trying to prove you are the smartest person in the room.

i rest my case. other guys have offered answers and advice on myriad topics, but nobody accuses them of trying to be smart...

i wonder why that only applies in certain cases. Frank, i will try to comply with your expectations, and reserve my observations for topics like rap music.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
The article says (approximately) 'in morning hours'. Was it dark 0h-thirty, or was it 10:00 am?
Our house was on San Felipe in PoP in the 80s. Our door was usually open. Though the red light district on 30 Marzo wasn't far off, the neighborhood was nonetheless peaceful and dead quiet at night.

Things definitely have changed, and citizens, ex-pats or no, have every right to be greatly alarmed.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
bob, did you bother to read this part?

Jamaica has one of the world's highest per-capita murder rates, and a 2010 state of emergency threw the harsh glare of publicity on the violent gang and drug culture in the capital, Kingston. Violent crime can be a real problem in Kingston and other parts of the country, but typically such crimes involve attacks by Jamaicans on other Jamaicans and revolve around drugs, gangs, politics, poverty, or revenge.

I read the whole article; perhaps you should do so as well( you know, the part about sexual attacks on tourists by resort workers). I have also been to Jamaica and would return to visit. I'd like to visit all the islands. So far I 've been to the Bahamas, Bermuda, Grenada, Cuba, the DR, Jamaica, the US Virgin Islands, Margarita Island Venezuela. There's a lot left to visit. Only time and money in the way.

Last edited:

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
there is a group of people here who believe that this site is some exclusive club for themselves,
Gorgon could you be part of this group?
10,721 posts since 2010. 8.80/day.
Just a thought.
Mack.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Gorgon could you be part of this group?
10,721 posts since 2010. 8.80/day.
Just a thought.
Mack.

when you pay for my electricity, and my laptop, and my internet, then i will explain my posting habits to you. you really must have very little things of interest in your life , insofar as my posting habits are of interest to you.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I read the whole article; perhaps you should do so as well( you know, the part about sexual attacks on tourists by resort workers). I have also been to Jamaica and would return to visit. I'd like to visit all the islands. So far I 've been to the Bahamas, Bermuda, Grenada, Cuba, the DR, Jamaica, the US Virgin Islands, Margarita Island Venezuela. There's a lot left to visit. Only time and money in the way.

i read the whole article, bob. i know sufficiently enough about that country that i could have written it myself.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i read the whole article, bob. i know sufficiently enough about that country that i could have written it myself.[/QUOTE
Then so know I'm correct and are only arguing because you are either bored or in your normal argumentative mood.

no, bob, i am arguing because somebody here does not seem to understand the true extent of danger to tourists visiting islands like Jamaica. actually, it is not an argument. it is a statement of fact. violent crime is very high in Jamaica, but it does not extend to the tourism sector to any great degree.

i would not get into an argument with you about Canada.; get the point?

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
Haha, you can't flip this on me sonny, I see you argue with everyone at any given chance. I do not attack you, I point out that you are obvious, transparent, it is easy to see your motives on here. Boring, tiring and old. No attack, just pointing out these things so that maybe you can see what you are unable to see right now. Attacking you? Ha! Grow up.

Jamaica has got a similar problem to R.D. Gorgon, you of all people should know that.
BTW HUG you sound just like gorgon. The pot calling the kettle black. You both need a hug

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Ouch.... You really know how to hurt a guy.
Mack.

did not mean to hurt you, Mack. i just wondered why a guy like you, with whom i have never exchanged words, finds it necessary to get into the piling on party. on the subject of posting; you have posted at the rate of about 1 post every 6 days. do you mean that i rise to the level of importance that you would waste one of those postings attacking me?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Jamaica has got a similar problem to R.D. Gorgon, you of all people should know that.
BTW HUG you sound just like gorgon. The pot calling the kettle black. You both need a hug

Jamaica has a similar problem, but to a lesser degree. every vacation destination has the same issues of tourist safety. it is similar to the DR, but not to the same degree of severity.