german tourists attacked and robbed in POP

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
other guys have offered answers and advice on myriad topics, but nobody accuses them of trying to be smart...

i wonder why that only applies in certain cases.
i just wondered why a guy like you, with whom i have never exchanged words, finds it necessary to get into the piling on party.
No "piling on" intended. It was just my attempt to offer some insight.
Mack.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
BTW HUG you sound just like gorgon. The pot calling the kettle black. You both need a hug

I have 160 posts over a 5 year period of reading this forum, I would not call that argumentative, old, tiring, boring. But I'll accept your remark so as not to be argumentative.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I have 160 posts over a 5 year period of reading this forum, I would not call that argumentative, old, tiring, boring. But I'll accept your remark so as not to be argumentative.

by the way, HUG;

Likes 6002

Dislikes 167

not bad for an argumentative, old, tired, boring guy, no?

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
didn't your last sentence above say that you will seek not to be argumentative?

It is rhetorical, do you even comprehend a rhetorical question? (That is also rhetorical by the way)

Probably best to get on topic or this will be closed.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
by the way, HUG;

Likes 6002

Dislikes 167

not bad for an argumentative, old, tired, boring guy, no?

Means nothing, some people don't use the dislike button, and others over-use it. I have the majority of my dislikes from two posters. As far as expat crime. I'm sure it's happened here in Jarabacoa, but I haven't heard of it. I think, like anywhere else, it depends on neighbourhood, whom the expats hang with, how much illegal activity they indulge in themselves, and how na?ve they are. Sometimes just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
OMG are you guys still at it? I'm on vacation so don't care what you guys do but give each other a big HUG ok :laugh:

Am I a tourist or a vacationer? hummmm???????

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Jamaica has got a similar problem to R.D. Gorgon, you of all people should know that.
BTW HUG you sound just like gorgon. The pot calling the kettle black. You both need a hug

No gorgon is right. Jamaica is the island of choice for many African American people and the island host many events catering toward blacks in the USA. Negril, Ocho Rios, Mobay etc. are places about 1,000,000 black I know have visited without any problems.

You did not always need a passport to enter Jamaica, you could enter with a DL and Birth Certificate. I have NEVER ever heard of any of my friends having in issue while in Jamaica. Just off the top of my head I know 5 people who had their wedding in Jamaica and everything was great.

Safety for tourists in DR and in Jamaica are very different. One of aunts took a picture with Ron Isley when she attended one of the events on the island.

Jamaica is very SAFE!!! for tourists.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
No gorgon is right. Jamaica is the island of choice for many African American people and the island host many events catering toward blacks in the USA. Negril, Ocho Rios, Mobay etc. are places about 1,000,000 black I know have visited without any problems.

You did not always need a passport to enter Jamaica, you could enter with a DL and Birth Certificate. I have NEVER ever heard of any of my friends having in issue while in Jamaica. Just off the top of my head I know 5 people who had their wedding in Jamaica and everything was great.

Safety for tourists in DR and in Jamaica are very different. One of aunts took a picture with Ron Isley when she attended one of the events on the island.

Jamaica is very SAFE!!! for tourists.

JMB, if it was as safe for locals as it is for tourists, i would be there now. the last time i went there was for a funeral in 1999, and i heard so many gunshots at night that i could not sleep comfortably. i have not been back since, and do not plan to any time soon.

on the other hand, you do not pick up the paper every day and see anything about some tourist being gunned down and robbed.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I've even lost track of your stance on this gorgon. Are you saying DR is dangerous for tourists?

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Can someone re-explain the difference between a tourist and a vacationer ?

Seriously, English is my second language.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Can someone re-explain the difference between a tourist and a vacationer ?

personally i think the distinction is dumb but there you go:
Traveller VS. Tourist VS. Vacationer | JET LAG Manifesto

basically traveler is a douchebag who thinks he is experiencing another culture because he slept in a hostel and ate baked guinea pig.
tourist is a douchbag who goes somewhere, snaps some pictures but hostels and guinea pigs are off the limits.
vacationer is a douchebag who keeps on coming to whatever location several times to rot in the sun and cannot give any less f**ks about hostels and guinea pigs.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Vacation: you can be on vacation anywhere, home or away.

Tourist: you are somewhere unfamiliar, you would not be a tourist if you stayed home while on vacation, that would be vacation.

Eg: someone may own property abroad yet only spend 2 weeks there a few times a year. They are away from home yet not tourists because they are familiar with where they are, they are on vacation.

For the benefit of this thread the difference was made relevant to define the people most at risk. People wandering around unaware of their surroundings, or people familiar and either in the wrong place at the wrong time, or making bad decision.

I personally don't think attacks on tourists is that high, it seems experienced people (expats or vacationers) get into more scrapes.

But no, it doesn't matter, this will not change anyone's life.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Vacation: you can be on vacation anywhere, home or away.

Tourist: you are somewhere unfamiliar, you would not be a tourist if you stayed home while on vacation, that would be vacation.

Eg: someone may own property abroad yet only spend 2 weeks there a few times a year. They are away from home yet not tourists because they are familiar with where they are, they are on vacation.

For the benefit of this thread the difference was made relevant to define the people most at risk. People wandering around unaware of their surroundings, or people familiar and either in the wrong place at the wrong time, or making bad decision.

I personally don't think attacks on tourists is that high, it seems experienced people (expats or vacationers) get into more scrapes.

But no, it doesn't matter, this will not change anyone's life.

I sort of get it even though I agree with DV8.

Could also be that Expats and vacationers have an increase chance of getting into ****s since they spend longer time there ?

Other than that, I think DR is still relatively safe for foreigners (ah ! I avoided further confusion).

PS: I never considered being on vacation while home, I would just say off from work, lol (probably cultural) :)