Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
24/7 care in DR is very cheap. yeah, out of reach for an average dominican. for for an average gringo it is doable.

Dv8 makes a good point that is easily transferable to many of us. As the average couple ages, the individual attention and care needed is much more affordable in the DR.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
It depends so much on what sort of disability we are talking about. Do we know? Apologies if I missed that somewhere. Physical disabilities and mental disabilities are obviously hugely different and require completely different needs. As far as moving to the DR with children in general, I don't see why this is such a crazy thing, as some seemed to make it out to be. Both of my kids were born here and we have no plans to leave. I also work with several gringo families with kids of all ages attending our school and they are happy here. I am so glad my own kids are growing up here for many many reasons. My husband and I are both teachers, so that helps with education concerns, but there are good schools in a lot of towns now. There are also a lot of schools who work with children with disabilities. My husband is a certified special needs teacher and we have several students who would be labeled as having disabilities if in North American (some of them being from North America) and they are thriving. As far as care, I do think the possibility of full time care at a very low price compared to North America/UK is a big plus.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
24/7 care in DR is very cheap. yeah, out of reach for an average dominican. for for an average gringo it is doable.

It is the society that they need to contend with. You can wrap a child up in cotton wool all you like, but surely the main goal of raising a disabled child is to make up for the disabilities as best you can by providing an environment where they can thrive as close to normality as possible. To say that you can find empathy towards disability in DR is accurate, you can also find anything you put your mind to, but none of it is a real example of how society is as a whole.
Even the physical environment in DR is a nightmare, there is absolutely no consideration to the general public yet alone the disabled. One day the goal is for them to be able to get about to some extent unassisted, that will never be realized in DR. Be it physical or mental, you are up against it and therefor making their lives more difficult than need be.
Beginning a disabled childs life in DR with the intention of them integrating into mainstream society some day s a big ask, and I'd say a far fetched expectation. The reality is that this is just a decision because she want to. As far as I know there is no compromise needing to be made here, this is not for a professional move where there must be a balance, this is purely because it seems like a good idea. I disgaree, there are many places the child will find life much more rewarding.

But the OP will figure this out pretty quick once living it for real, of that I have no doubt.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
hug, some disabilities do not permit integration into the society at any level. a severely disabled child that will forever remain a drooling two year old could have as good care in DR as anywhere else at a fraction of the cost. but as i mentioned before, this is an individual matter. but yeah, this should not be a decision taken lightly and without careful consideration.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
hug, some disabilities do not permit integration into the society at any level. a severely disabled child that will forever remain a drooling two year old could have as good care in DR as anywhere else at a fraction of the cost. but as i mentioned before, this is an individual matter. but yeah, this should not be a decision taken lightly and without careful consideration.

I agree, but I would also argue that for those that are severely disabled and are unable to do anything for themselves, then there are much kinder climates to exist in, in this condition.

Eleutheria

Jun 23, 2015
I think that there can be empathy and understanding here within the Dominican society, but I would never generalize and say that it's a very common characteristic here. Dominicans are warm, but not particularly tolerant of difference and not very inclusive. It's kind of survival of the fittest.
There is a mentally disabled boy (young man, really) in my neighbourhood who spends every day just wandering the streets. He has a home and a family but they allow this, I have no idea why.
He is also somewhat aggressive and very big (he scares the cr@p out of me, frankly) so it's just a matter of time before something goes very, very wrong.
Ah well, I suppose God is looking after him…
I may be wrong, but I think the child in question is autistic.
Certainly 24/7 care is cheaper here than in the developed world, but expert care and attention is in short supply, so I guess that's the trade-off.
A single mother who has made no mention of a trust fund or strong ties here bringing a couple of kids (one disabled) to a 3rd world country seems like a really bad idea to me.
I would never do this, the same way I would never move my elderly mother here. Sure, I could afford some half-witted moron to drag her to the bathroom and feed her, but the room for error is simply too great. It would be a recipe for disaster.
What if something happened? Half the streets aren't walkable, there are no social services, no police response, spotty medical care.
This place is for the strong, not the weak, IMO.
If one had the perfect setup and tons of support I suppose it would be doable, but why? At least in the west there might be work programs or day programs or something for the child as it grows up, but I don't know what kind of life that person would have here.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Not too sure about the attitudes of Dominicans to those who are disabled.

I have been involved with Mustard Seed in Montellano for many years. The children there all have multiple handicaps, both mental and physical.

The first time I had a group of dentists providing free care to the poor, I made certain that the children of Mustard Seed were seen and treated by the pediatric dentist who was part of the staff. Some of the dental patients questioned why "those children" were being treated "porque estan da?ados." That attitude surely doesn't convey a sense of compassion for the disabled.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Not too sure about the attitudes of Dominicans to those who are disabled.

I have been involved with Mustard Seed in Montellano for many years. The children there all have multiple handicaps, both mental and physical.

The first time I had a group of dentists providing free care to the poor, I made certain that the children of Mustard Seed were seen and treated by the pediatric dentist who was part of the staff. Some of the dental patients questioned why "those children" were being treated "porque estan da?ados." That attitude surely doesn't convey a sense of compassion for the disabled.

Very sad :(

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
LOONIES for a LOONEY!
The cambio will change them @ an unfavorable rate, better off using the ATH, or bring USD.

Tracym

Jul 15, 2015
That doesn't answer my question, but thanks for your assumptions &uninvited insults.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
RD Pesos are accepted as it is the Dominican Republic honey, USD will be accepted for TAXI Fare.
Loonies are not legal tender nor accepted by anybody.
Please crawl back under your rock now.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Hello all. Can I use Canadian currency in Puerto plata and surrounding and areas? Would have started a be thread just in a hurry sorry and thanks in advance!!!

What, and you were ranting about DR and foreign opinion? I'm beginning to wonder if the closest you have been to DR is youtube:paranoid: Or is your buddy Mr Brugal speaking for you tonight? It's ok, he is gets around and is popular among many.

Status
Not open for further replies.