Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I joined this Bloggo spot to keep up up on what others are doing saying and like and dislike. Its a newspaper that you can add to or try to degrade. i find some people gripe about everything so i know that type well! I was in the military many years and everyone complained but a lot of them re-uped and stayed 20 years. That did not change their way of thinking just their way of life. You do things that you feel you want or need to do. Along the way you learn from others. If you did not join this site you would not know what others thought and did here. The island is nice and i love it. Most places have the same problem the people are not always what you want drunks,robbers,crooks but face it that the same all over our great planet. To cut this short read what others say. Say what you want[Within limits] and always hope things and people change for the better. I like what she said she said her opinions on the gringos its her right I BELIEVE IN FREEDOM AND CHOICE OF WARE I LIVE like it or not. Thank you all for enlightening me on many things keep at it. Life is short!

Why did you quote me in your response? Did you mean to quote someone else? My question was not directed to you.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I have a lot to complain about DR. I chose to live here because my wife was more miserable in the Netherlands than I am here. Doesn't mean I'm going to put on some rose colored glasses and praise everything going on here.

A lot depends also on where you live and what your situation is. I live in the capital, work in the capital, recreate in the capital. That's not ideal. I don't think I failed. Life is very expensive , but thank God, we have been able to live how we would in Europe, am I happy living here, I'm happy living with my wife and children and enjoy them, I'm not particularly happy living in DR. The country has a lot of issues that are not necessarily a problem for everyone, but could be if you have children below 10 (especially when you have 4 of them), are not financially independent, etc.

DR1 gives many of us, including me, a chance to ask questions, give answers, rant or express what you enjoy of this country.

Those who have to work, especially in the capital, and claim that those who complain have no right or reason must come for misery in their countries what makes them think DR is paradise.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I think we should only write positive things about the DR, that will really help others and kill the forum at the same time. *crickets chirping*

The longer I stay here the less I like it and want to move back home for the summer months but could be just a phase I am going through bc of circumstances..

Ah yes, those daily phases of circumstance, very familiar.

I'm surprised to read that comment because your posts are consistently some of the best on this site and give a good, authentic flavor of the island.

I guess I woke up grumpy, didn't get enough sleep. Haha. Ty for your very nice compliment. The truth is I love it here most of the time then just get overwhelmed sometimes and the heat in the summer is a real issue for me and I miss work back home that I couldn't do here.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Lately is seems living here has become more difficult, stressful. Traffic, cost of living, crime, etc... Probably the same could be said for almost anywhere. I do find myself taking more trips (also because parents are up in age) back to the US to di-stress. We have talked about moving away from the Capital, maybe going to the east coast. You would not be human if you were not a bit critical of living here. Living here has its up and downs, some days good some days bad. All in all I cant say it has been the worst experience but as time goes on I find myself a bit less tolerant. But then again tomorrow is another day...

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
I guess I woke up grumpy, didn't get enough sleep. Haha. Ty for your very nice compliment. The truth is I love it here most of the time then just get overwhelmed sometimes and the heat in the summer is a real issue for me and I miss work back home that I couldn't do here.

Everyone hates bad mouths whare they live at times you get over it. If not you move simple fact of life. If the young lady does not like out site here she can stop reading it. That should make her feel much better!

smitty777

Jul 21, 2013
The cost of living is increasing worldwide. There are many places in the Americas, Europe, and Asia where the cost of living is less, more, or comparable with the cost of living in the Dominican Republic. There are high crime areas in urban centers in most countries. I hope everyone finds their happy place.

Yes I know that, but I get more for my dollar in other places. I just came back from Honduras. The expats there seem to be more successful and happier. The streets were cleaner and no loud music. Also they have a u.s. military base there (I'm prior service)which means a stable job.50k down there will have me living like a king.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Yes I know that, but I get more for my dollar in other places. I just came back from Honduras. The expats there seem to be more successful and happier. The streets were cleaner and no loud music. Also they have a u.s. military base there (I'm prior service)which means a stable job.50k down there will have me living like a king.

50K a year let you live like a King in every developing/3rd world country.
in DR that's enough to live comfy with the better off mid class.
and agreed,
there are well cheaper places around Latin America than the DR.
for most part the DR is the more developed one and offers IMHO more, specially when you need to earn money by a own business.
which one of those countless countries available fits best,
depends completely on each individual's personal situation, needs and preferences.

Mike

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
It amazes me that so many of you speak about all that is happening in the Dr and how it is not cheap or safe, you talk about the people and their government like you have a right....I have been watching you all talk out your asses like yoy again have a right a...if you are so miserable go home lol..people like you need to shake your heads...some are si miserable every thing they say is negative wow go home...I find out hard to believe you negative people haven't been a victim yet, but could c why so many exists become victims....you sick people leave your country running from yourselves get to the dr and keep up your sick behaviours and wonder why all these exists are dieing lol ...misty odd the exists are great I am sure but some of you should be bank I'm your country facing the **** you did. .u all hide behind your computer's and judge so many lol...ur is quite disturbing really...I feel sorry for countries like the Dr and the Philippines they have to deal with all the Other countries rejects....u all ran there for a reason and if you were honest you should know you are no better lol...I look forward to all the bull cheap responses .....oh and cccccccccu ass lol YOU need to get a life and so judging others like you have the right lol....at times I read these comment and believe they belong I the clown bin....please so your crap, ur gets old lol...no offencE to those who are not like this...it just makes me laugh hours you believe you have a say or that it even matters lol. Didnt stay New thread I know I should havE so save your unwanted comments .. u all sound like old bitter people who got shared because you fell for the same assumptions others have when planning a relationship there our a life you failed at.. my mom's always said you take yourself with you wherever you go. ..and for the record if u all are so miserable go home...for cccccc I have our my kids first and have professionals that have suggested this move for us and think you need to talk with one as well...just thinking out loud . :)

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Also they have a u.s. military base there (I'm prior service)which means a stable job.50k down there will have me living like a king.

An omnipresent US military presence might not be seen as a plus to some, to others, usually Americans, it might be.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
An omnipresent US military presence might not be seen as a plus to some, to others, usually Americans, it might be.

absolutely correct.
a american military base in the 'hood,
with the guys having fun on their off-weekends in town,
well,
that Puta-Drunken-Guys-Town would sure not be my vision of living anywhere.
and thats not meant as any pun against the Troops or any specific nation,
i worked long years with us-military 24/7,
but now by the age of 51, to live close to retirement at a nice Beachplace,
be assured a upcoming military base aside/in vicinity would be right a way a reason to change location.

Mike

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Amen to that Sister!

Try living in the DR on a Canadian pension. If the $ goes down any further I won't even be able to afford the 3 months I treasure being here.

I'm living comfortably on my Canadian pensions so far. I'm single and have no dependants. My pensions are
indexed and adjusted annually but I have noticed the cost of living has increased significantly since I started
coming here 7 years ago. We pay a penalty because of the US-Canada exchange rate. Doubt if I would be able toafford and maintain a house here. I just use pesos I get from the ATM. It's less painful than getting US dollars
before I come here for the winter even if you do get more pesos for US dollars.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
21eb31k.gif

Tracym

Jul 15, 2015
Thanks for all you're input, considered positive or negative. Either way I will be there for one of many visits before my final decision to move their . I was hoping some of you may have some suggestions on where to go, for two 40 yr old ladies, looking not for love but nature. I have heard the resorts offer tours, but want to make sure we get to see some surrounding areas of Puerto plata, waterfalls just beautiful nature lol...

thanks in advance :cheeky:

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Not to dwell on the initial post but you could have asked this question without the rant about people living somewhere that you have no clue about yourself. It as a general statement towards peoples mentality could hold a little validity, I can see that, but as a statement about living in the country, it holds zero validity as you appear to have no idea what you are talking about.

And to the last post. Two 40 year old women will get plenty of attention, you probably know this well enough from other visits. As for nature, well, you are going to the wrong country entirely, there is no wildllife at all other than butterflies, geckos, spiders and various pretty birds. Unless you get into the water and then I believe it can be wonderful, I wouldn't know I have never been in the sea other than to dip my feet. Plenty treas and waterfalls though, if that is your thing. Did I read people were advising you to move there with kids? might have you mixed up with someone else. But I can not see in any way how DR would spring to someones mind when thinking of a good move to make with kids, in my opinion quite the opposite, but these are just my opinions, and I did leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.