Good dealership?

Jan 9, 2004
How about the used ones sold at the big and reputable ones like Autohaus, Santo Domingo Motors etc., same with odometer rolled back and such?

There are reputable dealers in the DR and they can be both large and small. That having been said, it has been custom and practice in the DR to roll back the odometer. Dominicans for years were either not privy to it...or not concerned about it.

The things local Dominican car buyers look for in no particular order are a) car that looks good; b) car that has missing VIN stickers on its panels to disclose replaced parts (hood, trunk, doors) c) price.

Market idiosincracies in the DR involve color. White is deemed more valuable in most cars and black is more highly sought after in the big jeepetas.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
personally, I prefer the RD cars.... not imported from the US.
They're less complicated, IMO..... no catalytic convertor, etc

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Vehicles carrying a "Salvage" title are not importable to the DR....according to the law (if enforced). However, "rebuilt" vehicles may legally be imported.....thus you have the reason why so many cars there carry a prior "Salvage" history. They are typically purchased at about a 50% discount to other vehicles without a "story".........thus they have an enticing profit margin for importers.

More reason than ever to know your cars......and if you can't...then....know/trust your mechanic....and if you can't...then....know your dealer.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

what is the difference between a car with a salvage title and a rebuilt salvage?

Jan 9, 2004
personally, I prefer the RD cars.... not imported from the US.
They're less complicated, IMO..... no catalytic convertor, etc

True......but many are also without safety features like airbags. I remember all those taxi turistica Hyundai's that were brought in a few years ago......not one had any airbags.....but they are less complicated.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
True......but many are also without safety features like airbags. I remember all those taxi turistica Hyundai's that were brought in a few years ago......not one had any airbags.....but they are less complicated.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

besides, the requirements for the front bumpers on US models are far more exacting than models for other countries.

Jan 9, 2004
what is the difference between a car with a salvage title and a rebuilt salvage?

A "Salvage" title is what the vehicle receives from the insurance company after a particular "total loss" event. That event can be fire, flood, collision, etc. Some states also break it down further flood-salt water, flood-fresh water. And to confuse one further, there is also a category for recovered theft/prior theft.

Once the insurance company takes the vehicle and has paid off the owner for their loss, the vehicle gets a "salvage" title. The insurance company submits the "salvage" vehicle to an auction where the vehicle is then sold. A portion of those vehicles are bought at auction and then "rebuilt." When the vehicle has been "rebuilt" it is re-inspected by the DMV and then issued a "rebuilt title" which lists the particular loss the vehicle initially suffered (fire, flood, collision) on the title.

The vehicles re-enter the stream of commerce and are sold to buyers again. All states have regulations regarding disclosure to the consumers about this....and so dealers prefer to ship those vehicles out of the country. The DR allows "rebuilt" to enter the market.....so you may find an inordinate number of them there.

One note about the re-inspection process above, It is NOT a safety inspection. It was added to detect the use of stolen parts only. But people unwittingly believe, or are told, that the vehicle "passed" an inspection....and so many further believe that the vehicle must now be safe or road worthy.....when, in many cases, nothing could be further from the truth.....

To confuse people further there is also good "salvage." By way of examples, there was a hailstorm in Minnesota and 35 brand new Lexus' were declared a total loss and sold as "salvage." Nothing wrong with those vehicles except the flat body panels had puck marks on them (hood, trunk, roof) A little bodywork and someone got a nice deal. Or the 400 or so vehicles that were being stored in the desert in California...when along came the santa anna winds and literally sandblasted one side of the vehicles. Those vehicles were sold as "salvage," rebuilt and returned to the stream of commerce with a "rebuilt" title, prior salvage.

There is good salvage.....but as an end consumer you have little way to determine the difference.....so...

Caveat Emptor.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
A "Salvage" title is what the vehicle receives from the insurance company after a particular "total loss" event. That event can be fire, flood, collision, etc. Some states also break it down further flood-salt water, flood-fresh water. And to confuse oner further, there is also a category for recovered theft/prior theft.

Once the insurance company takes the vehicle and has paid off the owner for their loss, the vehicle gets a "salvage" title. The insurance company submits the "salvage" vehicle to an auction where the vehicle is then sold. A portion of those vehicles are bought at auction and then "rebuilt." When the vehicle has been "rebuilt" it is re-inspected by the DMV and then issued a "rebuilt title" which lists the particular loss the vehicle initially suffered (fire, flood, collision) on the title.

The vehicles re-enter the stream of commerce and are sold to buyers again. All states have regulations regarding disclosure to the consumers about this....and so dealers prefer to ship those vehicles out of the country. The DR allows "rebuilt" to enter the market.....so you may find an inordinate number of them there.

One note about the re-inspection process above, It is NOT a safety inspection. It was added to detect the use of stolen parts only. But people unwittingly believe, or are told, that the vehicle "passed" an inspection....and so many further believe that the vehicle must now be safe or road worthy.....when, in many cases, nothing could be further from the truth.....

To confuse people further there is also good "salvage." By way of examples, there was a hailstorm in Minnesota and 35 brand new Lexus' were declared a total loss and sold as "salvage." Nothing wrong with those vehicles except the flat body panels had puck marks on them (hood, trunk, roof) A little bodywork and someone got a nice deal. Or the 400 or so vehicles that were being stored in the desert in California...when along came the santa anna winds and literally sandblasted one side of the vehicles. Those vehicles were sold as "salvage," rebuilt and returned to the stream of commerce with a "rebuilt" title, prior salvage.

There is good salvage.....but as an end consumer you have little way to determine the difference.....so...

Caveat Emptor.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

not exactly. the insurance company issues a Salvage Certificate. not a salvage title. in NY STATE, it is called an MV907A. that certificate differs from a certificate that allows the vehicle to be used only for parts, since insurance companies can decide that certain vehicles are not to be rebuilt. when the salvage vendor sells the vehicle, it goes with the MV907A.

the buyer can repair the car, but cannot use the salvage certificate to register it. he must first present it to Auto Crime, who check the repair bills and process against the photos of the wreck, to make sure there is no hanky panky. every salvage sheetmetal part has to have a VIN number on it. if it is a new part, it must be accompanied by the ORIGINAL bill, which is retained by the cops. they also put it on a lift, and check the confidential numbers.

if the car passes Auto Crime inspection, they notify Albany, which then issues a Rebuilt Salvage title.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2004
not exactly. the insurance company issues a Salvage Certificate. not a salvage title. in NY STATE, it is called an MV907A. that certificate differs from a certificate that allows the vehicle to be used only for parts, since insurance companies can decide that certain vehicles are not to be rebuilt. when the salvage vendor sells the vehicle, it goes with the MV907A.

the buyer can repair the car, but cannot use the salvage certificate to register it. he must first present it to Auto Crime, who check the repair bills and process against the photos of the wreck, to make sure there is no hanky panky. every sheetmetal part had to have a VIN number on it. if it is a new part, it must be accompanied by the ORIGINAL bill, which is retained by the cops. they also put it on a lift, and check the confidential numbers.

if the car passes Auto Crime inspection, they notify Albany, which then issues a Rebuilt Salvage title.

ahhh......the infamous 907A. Yes NY does issue a "salvage certificate" and not a "salvage title." But that is merely splitting hairs.

For years NY issued a 907A without any branding on it. So dealers being dealers would take their "salvage" to NY, get a 907A and then submit it to their own state. While NY knew what 907A was...many state DMV's did not.....and since nothing was written on the 907A concerning "salvage".......many states would issue a "clean" title. Thousands of car titles were washed in NY....back in the day.

You bring up another point I did not address in my prior response...and that is "parts only." Some insurance companies theoretically stamp "parts only" on certain vehicles....but again, dealers being dealers...they found workarounds.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
ahhh......the infamous 907A. Yes NY does issue a "salvage certificate" and not a "salvage title." But that is merely splitting hairs.

For years NY issued a 907A without any branding on it. So dealers being dealers would take their "salvage" to NY, get a 907A and then submit it to their own state. While NY knew what 907A was...many state DMV's did not.....and since nothing was written on the 907A concerning "salvage".......many states would issue a "clean" title. Thousands of car titles were washed in NY....back in the day.

You bring up another point I did not address in my prior response...and that is "parts only." Some insurance companies theoretically stamp "parts only" on certain vehicles....but again, dealers being dealers...they found workarounds.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

and when title branding came about in NY, guys would take the branded title to other states that did not brand, and wash the title. only a few states do not brand in these days. there was a push some time back to make saltwater floods a national branded title; by that, i mean that any car which had water inside up to the inner rocker panel had to be branded FLOOD on the title, be it NJ or SD. i am not sure it ever happened.

Jan 9, 2004
and when title branding came about in NY, guys would take the branded title to other states that did not brand, and wash the title. only a few states do not brand in these days. there was a push some time back to make saltwater floods a national branded title; by that, i mean that any car which had water inside up to the inner rocker panel had to be branded FLOOD on the title, be it NJ or SD. i am not sure it ever happened.

There are currently no "uniform title standards," but all 50 states do currently have "salvage" laws and issue salvage titles/certifcates. That is why the offshore markets have become the new home of many of those vehicles. There is an exporter in Miami who currently sells thousands of salvage vehicles to Latin American buyers. That business is completely legal......but the people who buy and import them into their own markets are the problem.

Many are repaired in the desparaging term called a "southern fix." Basically, whatever the malady the vehicle suffers from...it is repaired...just enough to get by...but not necessarily proper.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
There are currently no "uniform title standards," but all 50 states do currently have "salvage" laws and issue salvage titles/certifcates. That is why the offshore markets have become the new home of many of those vehicles. There is an exporter in Miami who currently sells thousands of salvage vehicles to Latin American buyers. That business is completely legal......but the people who buy and import them into their own markets are the problem.

Many are repaired in the desparaging term called a "southern fix." Basically, whatever the malady the vehicle suffers from...it is repaired...just enough to get by...but not necessarily proper.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

you are absolutely correct on that 'southern fix" theme. if a car is repairable, and the loss is being paid for by an insurance carrier, they will send out reinspecting adjusters to make sure that the car is properly repaired, before issuing a check. if a car is salvage, then the buyer can have it hacked together, just to make it cosmetically suitable to pass the Auto Crime inspection. those guys do not check for gap specs, or any hints that the unibody or chassis is out of spec. they are just looking for crime, not workmanship. i have seen so many cars here that are cosmetically beautiful, yet i can just take a two minute look at them and tell that they were in a serious wreck. worse yet, there are cars like certain Fords which should have frame sections replaced, not repaired,, because they have accordion ends which should not be re-used, for safety reasons. salvage rebuilders never go to those extremes, and, if you wreck again in one of those, your head is through the windshield.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
A Dominican importer will literally saw a car in half in the USA, import it as "parts" and put it back together in the DR. Happy driving.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
A Dominican importer will literally saw a car in half in the USA, import it as "parts" and put it back together in the DR. Happy driving.

and they do not splice it at the manufacturer lines!! they just hack it in two halves. talk about dangerous!!!

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Me thinks I will just wait longer, save up and buy a new car... glad I don't need one to commute.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
you are absolutely correct on that 'southern fix" theme. if a car is repairable, and the loss is being paid for by an insurance carrier, they will send out reinspecting adjusters to make sure that the car is properly repaired, before issuing a check. if a car is salvage, then the buyer can have it hacked together, just to make it cosmetically suitable to pass the Auto Crime inspection. those guys do not check for gap specs, or any hints that the unibody or chassis is out of spec. they are just looking for crime, not workmanship. i have seen so many cars here that are cosmetically beautiful, yet i can just take a two minute look at them and tell that they were in a serious wreck. worse yet, there are cars like certain Fords which should have frame sections replaced, not repaired,, because they have accordion ends which should not be re-used, for safety reasons. salvage rebuilders never go to those extremes, and, if you wreck again in one of those, your head is through the windshield.

Gordon maybe you should create the sticky, what to check for when buying used in the DR, especially to spot these major rebuilds of newer vehicles

Jan 9, 2004

...Another good point....but first, it is not all of them.....just those trying to gain a huge edge..either on Customs or consumers.

It is well known that motorcycles are readily broken down, imported as parts then re-assembled. How they get a matricula is a matter of who knows who...and how much they are willing to pay.

Back to cars. They literally send the front half in one container and the back half of that one or another one in another container, it does not matter, and then the car or cars (could be two different halves) are then welded together. That is affectionately known as a "clipped" car and they are illegal in the US because the vehicle is "clipped" (literally sawed in half) at its wekest point structurally.....then when a serious accident occurs and the welds give way....you have half the car in one place and the other half elsewhere...all to the detriment of the occupants.

Note this is not the rule, but rather the exception. As anywhere, one must be on guard. I repeat, if you do not know your cars, know a good dealer, and if you do not know either know a good knowledgeable mechanic.

Probably because I know way too much about automobiles/automotive industry in general and how the fraudsters/scamsters operate, I prefer to import my own personal vehicles and deal with the angst that is Aduana.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Gordon maybe you should create the sticky, what to check for when buying used in the DR, especially to spot these major rebuilds of newer vehicles

i offered my services to accompany prospective buyers (for a small fee, or course). nobody took me up on it. with 30 years under my belt dealing with wrecks and repairs, i have learnt a few tricks. there are some really shady guys out there, but it is hard to get anything by me. i have seen too much.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
...Another good point....but first, it is not all of them.....just those trying to gain a huge edge..either on Customs or consumers.

It is well known that motorcycles are readily broken down, imported as parts then re-assembled. How they get a matricula is a matter of who knows who...and how much they are willing to pay.

Back to cars. They literally send the front half in one container and the back half of that one or another one in another container, it does not matter, and then the car or cars (could be two different halves) are then welded together. That is affectionately known as a "clipped" car and they are illegal in the US because the vehicle is "clipped" (literally sawed in half) at its wekest point structurally.....then when a serious accident occurs and the welds give way....you have half the car in one place and the other half elsewhere...all to the detriment of the occupants.

Note this is not the rule, but rather the exception. As anywhere, one must be on guard. I repeat, if you do not know your cars, know a good dealer, and if you do not know either know a good knowledgeable mechanic.

Probably because I know way too much about automobiles/automotive industry in general and how the fraudsters/scamsters operate, I prefer to import my own personal vehicles and deal with the angst that is Aduana.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

clipping is not illegal, but certain types of clips are. for example, if you get a hard rear end hit, the clip should be the rear body panel, the floorpan, and the quarter panels, with the rear roof pillar and parcel shelf. you can also use a short clip, cut at the beltline. what these guys do is to cut through panels, because it is easier. that is illegal, and the DMV will take serious steps against shops that practice such methods.

Jan 9, 2004
clipping is not illegal, but certain types of clips are. for example, if you get a hard rear end hit, the clip should be the rear body panel, the floorpan, and the quarter panels, with the rear roof pillar and parcel shelf. you can also use a short clip, cut at the beltline. what these guys do is to cut through panels, because it is easier. that is illegal, and the DMV will take serious steps against shops that practice such methods.

...and you are also correct. Clipping can be legal, particularly short clips IF they are done properly...and therein lies the rub.

What I referred to above was the ever so common front half/back half car clips that are illegal in all 50 states as they violate the Warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or the Warranty of merchantabilty or both....amongst other things.

Almost everyone that I have ever seen was done not on the factory seams and was spot welded, not seam welded. ...And yes cutting through panels is, as you suggest, illegal.

Unless and until the DR and other countries enact AND enforce laws protecting the consumer from these things, the game will continue.

I am somewhat surprised you have not been resourced by buyers in the DR as you have a solid working knowledge of what to look for.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2