Good dealership?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
...and you are also correct. Clipping can be legal, particularly short clips IF they are done properly...and therein lies the rub.

What I referred to above was the ever so common front half/back half car clips that are illegal in all 50 states as they violate the Warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or the Warranty of merchantabilty or both....amongst other things.

Almost everyone that I have ever seen was done not on the factory seams and was spot welded, not seam welded. ...And yes cutting through panels is, as you suggest, illegal.

Unless and until the DR and other countries enact AND enforce laws protecting the consumer from these things, the game will continue.

I am somewhat surprised you have not been resourced by buyers in the DR as you have a solid working knowledge of what to look for.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

do you really believe that some of these guys who put these half cars back together have ever heard of seam welding?when these things wreck, the front goes to Las Terrenas, and the back to Bonao.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
playa, i still have my confidential code number to access Carfax. kept it when i retired from Progressive Insurance Company.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
I went to santiago yesterday, unfortunately i didnt know half the dealership would be close... Hehe!

Anyway i have my eye on an Acura MDX 2007 at Ramos Auto's, hes asking a lil bit too much tho, started at 28.5 and hes telling me he can only do 27.5 even tho i tryed to negociate him at 26 for like an hour, so well see next few days, hes probably gonna call me a few times a day and drop it at 26~

Maybe gonna go again tom or tuesday see more options.

Jan 9, 2004
I went to santiago yesterday, unfortunately i didnt know half the dealership would be close... Hehe!

Anyway i have my eye on an Acura MDX 2007 at Ramos Auto's, hes asking a lil bit too much tho, started at 28.5 and hes telling me he can only do 27.5 even tho i tryed to negociate him at 26 for like an hour, so well see next few days, hes probably gonna call me a few times a day and drop it at 26~

Maybe gonna go again tom or tuesday see more options.

Ok. Now you have found something you like enough to make an offer on....so what does the carfax/autocheck report?

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Seems good. Millas are the same, recent import so thats good too. Theres not too much info in the carfax like regular checkup etc but no problem overall

Heres the carfax :

Owner 1
Purchased: 2007 Personal vehicle
21,685 mi./yr
Mileage:Source:Comments:
5/5/07
10 mi.
California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Pleasanton, CA Title issued or updated
First owner reported
Titled or registered as
personal vehicle
Loan or lien reported
10/7/09
California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Loan or lien reported
1/5/13
122,641 mi.
Pep Boys
San Carlos, CA
650-632-1522
Battery/charging system/starter checked
Battery replaced
3/14/13
127,150 mi.
Redding Kia and Redding Subaru
Redding, CA
Vehicle offered for sale
3/25/13
127,414 mi.
Auto Auction
Pacific Region Listed as a dealer vehicle
Sold at auction
Millions of used vehicles are bought and sold at auction every year.
4/5/13
California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Loan or lien reported
Avoid financial headaches. Make sure the loan has been paid off if you're buying from a private seller.

Jan 9, 2004
Seems good. Millas are the same, recent import so thats good too. Theres not too much info in the carfax like regular checkup etc but no problem overall

Heres the carfax :

Owner 1
21,685 mi./yr
5/5/07
10 mi.
California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
First owner reported
Titled or registered as
personal vehicle
Loan or lien reported
10/7/09
California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Loan or lien reported
1/5/13
122,641 mi.
Pep Boys
San Carlos, CA
650-632-1522
Battery replaced
3/14/13
127,150 mi.
Redding, CA
Vehicle offered for sale
3/25/13
127,414 mi.
Auto Auction
Sold at auction
4/5/13
California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Loan or lien reported
Avoid financial headaches. Make sure the loan has been paid off if you're buying from a private seller.

So far so good.

One owner California car. One owner vehicles are more desirable to dealers than multiple owner vehicles.

Typical Dominican import in that it has high mileage for the model year. Is it black or white? If so, the dealer will be less likely to negotiate price (black and white are the DR buyers favorite colors.

Note the vehicle was sold in California new and therefore needed to comply with CA emissions standards which in 2007 were stricter than other states....translated to mean your miles per gallon will be less than a 2007 Acura MDX vehicle sold in another state.

Look for options that may add value to the vehicle; Navigation system/rear camera/dvd player system were expensive add ons for the 2007.

For what it is worth, at 105,000 miles the spark plugs, timing belt and rear differential fluid should have been changed.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

Heres the carfax :

Owner 1
21,685 mi./yr
5/5/07
10 mi.
California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
First owner reported
Titled or registered as
personal vehicle
Loan or lien reported
10/7/09
California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Loan or lien reported
1/5/13
122,641 mi.
Pep Boys
San Carlos, CA
650-632-1522
Battery replaced
3/14/13
127,150 mi.
Redding, CA
Vehicle offered for sale
3/25/13
127,414 mi.
Auto Auction
Sold at auction
4/5/13
California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Loan or lien reported

high mileage trade in..

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Yup mileagea are high... But they are good car and its nearly impossible to find Any luxury jeepeta without high mileage that have a good history!

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
So far so good.

One owner California car. One owner vehicles are more desirable to dealers than multiple owner vehicles.

Typical Dominican import in that it has high mileage for the model year. Is it black or white? If so, the dealer will be less likely to negotiate price (black and white are the DR buyers favorite colors.

Note the vehicle was sold in California new and therefore needed to comply with CA emissions standards which in 2007 were stricter than other states....translated to mean your miles per gallon will be less than a 2007 Acura MDX vehicle sold in another state.

Look for options that may add value to the vehicle; Navigation system/rear camera/dvd player system were expensive add ons for the 2007.

For what it is worth, at 105,000 miles the spark plugs, timing belt and rear differential fluid should have been changed.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Its white. Brand new tires + one extra, navigation system but all acura mdx come with one.

Pretty sure theres a dvd system in the back too.

The vendor also told me that this MDX had electric suspension, and other mdx doesnt have it usually, not sure whats real value of this.

A mechanic would know that those things have all been change right? I think i saw some honda dealership or something that looks like honda in Santiago, i was thinking bringing it there next week see what they say about the car.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
So far so good.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

check again, playa. lien reported 4/5/13..

what is going on there? looks like 3 owners to me...

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Not sure how it works since this was sold at auction but on carfax its saying the thing "carfax one owner vehicule" but then again im a little bit of a noob with cars!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Not sure how it works since this was sold at auction but on carfax its saying the thing "carfax one owner vehicule" but then again im a little bit of a noob with cars!

bear in mind that the struts on the optional suspension run 700 dollars EACH, in the US. change one, you should change both...factor in labor, you are looking at 2000 dollars..just saying.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
bear in mind that the struts on the optional suspension run 700 dollars EACH, in the US. change one, you should change both...factor in labor, you are looking at 2000 dollars..just saying.

you better check for any telltale sounds coming from the strut towers, where there is a bushing that generally causes problems. my buddy had one of these things.

Jan 9, 2004
check again, playa. lien reported 4/5/13..

what is going on there? looks like 3 owners to me...

Only registered owners who title the vihicle are considered to be "owners" for carfax purposes.

There are three people who had ownership....but only one who took title...the first one. Owner two and three are dealers who had it for a brief period...probably the trade in dealer, then the dealer who bought it at auction. So it is considered a one owner because only one title was issued. The dealers transferred title with re-asignments on the back of the original title.

Liens are all cleared prior to export..or else it cannot leave port.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
you better check for any telltale sounds coming from the strut towers, where there is a bushing that generally causes problems. my buddy had one of these things.

I have no idea how to check those sounds. How do you say strut in spanish? And telltate sounds?.... so i can tell that tho the mechanic! :p

Jan 9, 2004
Its white. Brand new tires + one extra, navigation system but all acura mdx come with one.

Pretty sure theres a dvd system in the back too.

The vendor also told me that this MDX had electric suspension, and other mdx doesnt have it usually, not sure whats real value of this.

A mechanic would know that those things have all been change right? I think i saw some honda dealership or something that looks like honda in Santiago, i was thinking bringing it there next week see what they say about the car.

The MDX is a highly reliable vehicle and a good choice. That having been said, if parts are needed....they are expensive.

A quick run through a database shows major problems with the audio system...but that is it.
Find a real mechanic and expect to pay them 1,000 pesos or more for a thorough evaluation.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Yes, i will try to bring it directly to Honda in Santiago, unless you have a better place to recommend!

But since acura is honda, i guess i cant go wrong bringing it there!

Jan 9, 2004
Yes, i will try to bring it directly to Honda in Santiago, unless you have a better place to recommend!

But since acura is honda, i guess i cant go wrong bringing it there!

Good idea.

Now to throw another question at you....What model is the vehicle. Acura had 5 different models with varying options in 2007.

In order of value low to high: 1. AWD, 2. Sport AWD, 3. Sport DVD, 4. Technology AWD, 5. Technology DVD AWD.

It currently can make a 3-5,000 price difference at auction here in the US. When new the spread between base model #1 and the high end #5 was about 15,000.

Ask the honda dealer they will know just by looking at the VIN number.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2