Government defends public-private partnership for vehicular inspections

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Sigmund-Freund-Diario-Libre-1024x567.png

Sigmund Freund of the Private Public Alliance Agency (DGAPP) of the Abinader administration is on a media tour to explain why a public-private alliance should manage the inspection of vehicles in the Dominican Republic. Transit and Transport Institute (Intrant) Law 63-17 orders the inspections but does not create a separate private-public entity. In the past, checks were carried out by a division at the Ministry of Public Works. With time, the inspections were not carried out and the “revista” sticker became a circulation tax.

No one debates the need for inspections to improve road safety. These are intended to remove from circulation the vehicles that are not fit to be on the road. Freund argues that studies show 40% of traffic accidents occur due to vehicle problems related to tires and brakes,” as he told Adalberto Grullón and Millizen Uribe on TeleAntillas’ Uno+Uno talk...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
That's more or less how they do it in the UK. A repair place invests in the equipment and carries out the tests. The government inspectors check it regularly and take away the tester's licence to test if cars are later found which should not have passed the test.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
In theory that sounds pretty easy.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Goverment requisitos to carry out vehicule inspections :

- one (1) spanner. check.
- one (1) flat rock. check.
- receipt of 2k pesos tax payement at Ban Reservas. check.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Check engine light are going to be a headache for most Dominicans...
If OB2 inspection are required in DR most vehicles are going to fail.

Since you install a GLP system in your vehicle the CEL automatically illuminates.

JJ

• Wow
Reactions: windeguy

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Check engine light are going to be a headache for most Dominicans...
If OB2 inspection are required in DR most vehicles are going to fail.

Since you install a GLP system in your vehicle the CEL automatically illuminates.

JJ
I've read that it's pretty easy to reset the CEL, at least temporarily to pass inspection. If they actually check, you won't pass though. Probably more than half the cars here will never pass an emissions test.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I've read that it's pretty easy to reset the CEL, at least temporarily to pass inspection. If they actually check, you won't pass though. Probably more than half the cars here will never pass an emissions test.
I had a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe engine rebuilt years ago in Sosua. The Check Engine Light never went "on". Why not?
It was covered over by a piece of "tapey". The Santa Fe ran for many more years.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I had a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe engine rebuilt years ago in Sosua. The Check Engine Light never went "on". Why not?
It was covered over by a piece of "tapey". The Santa Fe ran for many more years.
The CEL has been on for over a year now on my Toyoya Camry. Runs fine. I haven't noticed any change in gas mileage either.

Reactions: bachata

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
The CEL has been on for over a year now on my Toyoya Camry. Runs fine. I haven't noticed any change in gas mileage either.
Code #P0423 EVAP small leak detected, my Camry CEL is on due to this error code.
I cleared last year and drove the car to complete the monitors except the evaporative system which luckily is the last one the ECM inspect.
My car can pass with two incomplete monitors per the manufactured year.
Will have to perform a smoke test to locate the leak.
Car has not problem, runs perfect 😁

JJ

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Code #P0423 EVAP small leak detected, my Camry CEL is on due to this error code.
I cleared last year and drove the car to complete the monitors except the evaporative system which luckily is the last one the ECM inspect.
My car can pass with two incomplete monitors per the manufactured year.
Will have to perform a smoke test to locate the leak.
Car has not problem, runs perfect 😁

JJ
My Camry will blow out a cloud of smoke from the tailpipe the first thing in the morning on start up. That's the only time it does it and it doesn't do it every day. Some days are worse than others. I burn very little oil - maybe a quart/year. None of the mechanics I've asked knows what's causing it. Any ideas? That may be why my CEL light is on(?).

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Normally when the engine burns oil First start up in the morningstar is due to bad valve seals. When the car seats over night residual oil in the cylinders head drips down through the valves into the combustion chamber.

You can change the valve seals without removing the head, there is a special tool for removing the valve spring.

JJ

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I wonder what the Government hopes to achieve with this vehicle testing . I know there are a lot of dreadful old gua guas going around in nearly every town and city in the country with doors and windows and lights and other parts missing .In Jamaica for example they would be painted with many colours . The average ride is between 50 and 100 pesos and they are an essential mode of transport for the majority of Dominicans. Most importantly , I have never seen one of these vehicles have a serious accident. On the other hand , every car accident I see here involves a car or bus or truck with I imagine satisfactory brakes and steering . I will not mention tyres because most Dominicans only buy new tyres out of absolute necessity and at any rate tyres can be checked roadside. So if the aim is to rid the country of ancient guaguas, then that will hurt most Dominicans and if that is not the reason then no testing is going to reduce the high number of motor accidents because the overwhelming number of these are caused by speed, use of mobiles while driving and alcohol and dangerous driving .

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Plan Remove, Antonio Marte and his mafia. Early 200s during Hipólito Mejia government the plan to remove old (junks) was more a political program that fail as the Sindicalistas were encharged of the distribution of the new vehicles.
That's how they became millionaire.
Looks like they are trying to do the same again.
I signed up at that time as I was in transportation business, went to SD to campaign for the reelection of Mejia orchestrated by Antonio Marte but I didn't get not new vehicle.
They said the fleet imported from Korea was not enough for all the unions drivers who put applications at that time.
I end up buying "El Derecho" of a unit from another union member who connected to the mafia.
CONATRA

JJ

Reactions: CristoRey

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
If the goal is to remove unsafe vehicles from the road, that could be easily accomplishedly by simply ticketing or impounding vehicles with violations. there is zero need for another level of corrupt bureaucracy to gouge the average Dominican for more money.

Florida got rid of it's vehicle inspection program a long time ago because of long waits and many complaints and the responsibility for vehicle safety standards was turned over to law enforcement where it belongs.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Plan Remove, Antonio Marte and his mafia. Early 200s during Hipólito Mejia government the plan to remove old (junks) was more a political program that fail as the Sindicalistas were encharged of the distribution of the new vehicles.
That's how they became millionaire.
Looks like they are trying to do the same again.
I signed up at that time as I was in transportation business, went to SD to campaign for the reelection of Mejia orchestrated by Antonio Marte but I didn't get not new vehicle.
They said the fleet imported from Korea was not enough for all the unions drivers who put applications at that time.
I end up buying "El Derecho" of a unit from another union member who connected to the mafia.
CONATRA

JJ

How much did you have to pay for the "Derechos," JJ?

If the goal is to remove unsafe vehicles from the road, that could be easily accomplishedly by simply ticketing or impounding vehicles with violations. there is zero need for another level of corrupt bureaucracy to gouge the average Dominican for more money.

Florida got rid of it's vehicle inspection program a long time ago because of long waits and many complaints and the responsibility for vehicle safety standards was turned over to law enforcement where it belongs.

My god, can you even begin to imagine what it would turn into if the police here were in charge of vehicle safety standards??

Every street cop could retire from the force after a few years.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
I don't remember exactly how much was the total number of the deal but it was about RD $300,000. I traded a 1997 Toyota Corolla which I paid 240K at that time and it was some cash involved another 100K I Believe.
It was a good deal for me anyway, I pay to CONATRA most of the remaining payment except the last 8 as I sold El Derecho to another union member when I moved to the US.
I saw the minibus last time I was in Puerto Plata.

JJ

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

My god, can you even begin to imagine what it would turn into if the police here were in charge of vehicle safety standards??

Every street cop could retire from the force after a few years.
Why? I'm basically talking about ticketing, or in some cases impounding, vehicles with cracked windshields, broken headlights/tail lights, no fenders/bumpers/hoods, bald tires, non-functioning brake lights, etc. Seems pretty easy if you ask me.

I think very few accidents are caused by bad brakes, They're mostly caused by totally careless, wreckles, drivers who are speeding and/or intoxicated, pass in no passing zones, run red lights, and simply don't follow the rules. A vehicle inspection will do nothing to solve most of these problems.