Government defends public-private partnership for vehicular inspections

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
While bad driver behaviour is very important and is the largest contributing factor to accidents here in the DR, highway patrol here is very limited, so it's hard to do much about it. Vehicle inspections won't change that either.

Many of the other safety items are important, too. Several times I've been behind trucks that had to stop fairly quickly, but w/o functioning brake lights, I came uncomfortably close to rear ending him. Same with motos at night with no tail lights and headlights. I've come close to hitting a couple of them.I
I did not make myself very clear that I was talking about my driving experience in the SW and SE of the UK. I can not imagine that any tests will keep the poorly lit trucks off the road her in the DR .. Driving at night is perilous but at least all the horses and cattle on the highways and autopistas seem to just a bad memory.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The safest way for me to drive on a DR highway with poor lighting at night such as going from the Capital to Santiago is to follow a vehicle at a safe distance that has visible tail lights. This way nothing is in between me and if someone gets there somehow I will see him. Just driving "naked" as i call it is a no no at night.................
Good idea and I do that sometimes but usually my luck is that I get behind a vehicle that wants to drive either 10mph under the speed limit or 10 mph(or more)over the speed limit.

Reactions: JD Jones

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I did not make myself very clear that I was talking about my driving experience in the SW and SE of the UK. I can not imagine that any tests will keep the poorly lit trucks off the road her in the DR .. Driving at night is perilous but at least all the horses and cattle on the highways and autopistas seem to just a bad memory.
That is extremely dangerous on these poorly lit road here. I personally know of a couple people that were seriously injured and really damaged their cars hitting cows on the hwy. One or two drivers even died,

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
So, are you saying that it's perfectly ok with police in UK that a car might have a broken/missing tail light/headlight, tail lights, brake lights or headlights not working, windshield is cracked, tints are too dark, tires are bald, or it's belching out smoke from the tail pipe, that it's ok with them? None of those things are a violation of the law in the UK?
No, I'm not saying that. As Kipling333 says obviously they will stop a car with an obvious defect like lights not working and take them off the road if necessary. But they don't do in depth checks - that's done by testing stations.

Anyway, I don't want to make this about the UK as it's supposed to be DR related, I was simply trying to suggest a system that could work here.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
The safest method of driving here is SLOW. I rarely see 100 KPH in my vehicles

Reactions: Cabarete2014

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
No, I'm not saying that. As Kipling333 says obviously they will stop a car with an obvious defect like lights not working and take them off the road if necessary. But they don't do in depth checks - that's done by testing stations.

Anyway, I don't want to make this about the UK as it's supposed to be DR related, I was simply trying to suggest a system that could work here.
I'd like to hear from someone who actually got their vehicle inspected before and what was inspected. You said there were thousands of inspection stations in the UK, so they probably could do in depth inspections there, but I doubt they'll be able to do that here(?).

And then last time, we already have reports of just driving to the inspection station and buying a revista w/o an inspection ever being done. Then there were many people like me that just paid 500 pesos extras and bought a revista. At 3000 pesos for an inspection, the black market for revistas will be huge. Officers are the check points are just looking to see if the right shape(round, square, hexagonal), has th correct pretty color, and the bold black numbers indicate the correct year. If by some chance they do discover it's fake, we're back to square one:

Policeman: Senor, you're revista looks fake.
Driver: Here's 500 pesos. Look again.
Policeman: You're right. Looks fine.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I didn't misstate it at all. I clearly said that vehicle inspections were canceled and it was left to the police to issue tickets for safety violations for things that would be checked at inspections lie broken windshields, headlights/ tail lights/brake lights, etc. Here's a direct quote from a local newspaper at the time.

"A: In 1981, then-Gov. Bob Graham and the Legislature halted motor vehicle inspections after complaints about long lines at state-run inspection stations.

Graham was quoted at the time as saying the nearly $20 million spent annually by the state to run the stations could be better spent on law enforcement. The idea was that the job of inspections would fall to officers on patrol that could stop cars on the road if they saw faulty equipment."

I would like to see all the decrepit vehicles removed, but I don't see inspection stations improving the chances of that happening much. You said yourself that when you went to the inspection station your vehicle was never inspected - you just paid for the revista. The number of decrepit vehicles did not decrease at all when those inspections were operating.

All it would take to remove these decrepit vehicles from the road is a mandate by Abinader to do so and the police could easily do it w/o the need for another inefficient government bureaucracy that's going to gouge millions of Dominicans 3000 pesos and waste half a day in long lines just to remove a relatively smaller number of decrepit vehicles.

When Abinader decided he had enough of motos with no placas, matriculas. and drivers with no licenses, he lowered the boom, the police began checking, confiscating, and handing out tickets and now hundreds of thousands of motos and their drivers meet the requirements. It can easily be done.
I was referring to what you stated about the DR and inspection stations. What happens in the USA is of no interest here since they have actual police there.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I was referring to what you stated about the DR and inspection stations. What happens in the USA is of no interest here since they have actual police there.
I didn't say anything about DR inspection stations(?). I've never even been to one. When you can go to an inspection station like you did and just pay for the revista w/o an inspection, it doesn't sound like they have real inspection stations here either.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Same here. I've had zero problems with AMET. None have ever stopped me just to ask for a propina.
Do you drive during the holidays?
I was stopped several times going to and from Moca last year around Christmas time by the PN asking me for money. Each time I pretended I didn't speak any Spanish. Rather than hold up traffic with their f*ckery, they let me pass without giving them anything more than a smile.

AMET on the other hand has always been polite, courteous and professional.

Inspection stations will end up taking bribes so they'll be useless.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Do you drive during the holidays?
I was stopped several times going to and from Moca last year around Christmas time by the PN asking me for money. Each time I pretended I didn't speak any Spanish. Rather than hold up traffic with their f*ckery, they let me pass without giving them anything more than a smile.

AMET on the other hand has always been polite, courteous and professional.

Inspection stations will end up taking bribes so they'll be useless.
Yes, but almost all my driving here is very local and have rarely even encountered a PN road check redada. On the other hand, I go to Cabarete every day and pass through two AMET checkpoints - one in front of the police station and the other in front of Hotel Kaoba.

Reactions: CristoRey

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
The safest way for me to drive on a DR highway with poor lighting at night such as going from the Capital to Santiago is to follow a vehicle at a safe distance that has visible tail lights. This way nothing is in between me and if someone gets there somehow I will see him. Just driving "naked" as i call it is a no no at night.................
Its call defensive driving, its the only way to drive here.

Jan 9, 2004
That's the bottom line. If the inspection stations are the real deal, they can and will make a difference.

I do not see that happening anytime in the near future……..that is, real honest inspection stations inspecting and then law enforcement and confiscation of cars that circulate in the country without an inspection certificate/sticker.

Not one of my car dealer clients believe that will ever happen and they cite those prior inspection laws as evidence. Prior to 2016, vehicles were required to get inspected. For a couple of years, the only thing inspected was whether the vehicle had triangle reflectors in a so called safety kit to de displayed next to a broken down vehicle. And they really enforced that in many places, due to the fact, drumroll please, a politico got the regulation put into place that all cars were required to have a safety kit including those triangle reflectors…….and guess who had the market cornered for those “approved” safety kits?

If they really wanted to improve the quality of vehicle’s circulating, they would allow vehicles up to 7 years old to enter the country. After all, if they really believe that the DR has the best economy in the Caribbean, increasing the age of imported vehicles would benefit those who need a newer vehicle but cannot afford a 5 year or newer. Trying to implement an inspection system has failed miserably and they should seek alternative methods to solve the problem of non-roadworthy vehicles.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'd like to hear from someone who actually got their vehicle inspected before and what was inspected. You said there were thousands of inspection stations in the UK, so they probably could do in depth inspections there, but I doubt they'll be able to do that here(?).

The last revista….. the lines for inspection in Santo Domingo were a mile long every day. Hours and hours long. We happened to drive up to Matilda/Lindsay’s house in Moncion for several days, and the deadline was lurking. Her husband took Mr AE to Mao, where the lines were reasonable. He said they barely looked at the car, but he thought it was because it was pretty new. Checked for the kit he needed. No idea if a junker got the same “inspection “.

Reactions: CristoRey and cavok

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The last revista….. the lines for inspection in Santo Domingo were a mile long every day. Hours and hours long. We happened to drive up to Matilda/Lindsay’s house in Moncion for several days, and the deadline was lurking. Her husband took Mr AE to Mao, where the lines were reasonable. He said they barely looked at the car, but he thought it was because it was pretty new. Checked for the kit he needed. No idea if a junker got the same “inspection “.
You're from PA. Many, many repair shops and garages were approved to do vehicle inspections. I never had to wait in a line in Philly and it didn't take more than 15 minutes at the most. Can't remember what they checked (?). I doubt they will have very many inspection stations here.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You're from PA. Many, many repair shops and garages were approved to do vehicle inspections. I never had to wait in a line in Philly and it didn't take more than 15 minutes at the most. Can't remember what they checked (?). I doubt they will have very many inspection stations here.

We’re in NJ. Have to go to State MV Inspection. Used to be much worse, they’ve relaxed a lot of the checks, goes pretty quick now.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
If they really wanted to improve the quality of vehicle’s circulating, they would allow vehicles up to 7 years old to enter the country. After all, if they really believe that the DR has the best economy in the Caribbean, increasing the age of imported vehicles would benefit those who need a newer vehicle but cannot afford a 5 year or newer. Trying to implement an inspection system has failed miserably and they should seek alternative methods to solve the problem of non-roadworthy vehicles.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Tho I do not believe in global warming or whatever they are calling it these days, I do believe in moderation..
as in too much of anything is a bad thing.

The DR needs to put a cap on the number of vehicles it allows to be imported into the country each year which is far more important then a car's year, make and model in my opinion.
Otherwise we may end up like Puerto Rico where they have more cars sitting around than they have people to drive them.

I only rent a car when I need to which is rare so I've really no dog in the fight.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Help me out here cause I don't red o spel 2 gud.

Limiting the number of vehicles imported into the 🇩🇴 will do what ❓
Other than limiting supply.
Driving up the cost of newer vehicles.
Which are ones that need to be purchased by people in order to have better quality vehicles on the road.

The purpose of the inspections: "These are intended to remove from circulation the vehicles that are not fit to be on the road."

Of course, if vehicle owners do not change their brakes or tires on their newly purchased vehicle...well you are back in the same boat. Until it is time to be inspected of course. Presuming this program gets implemented and is effective.

I'm having trouble figuring out how failing to believe in "global warming" relates to the subject if this thread.
But it wouldn't be the first time I don't understand a posters motivation for just throwing up a post that is the equivalent of a "hail mary" pass in American Football.

🏈 😂

Reactions: drstock