Haiti’s leader resigns as gangs run rampant through country engulfed in crisis

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
You are making apples to oranges comparisons here.

When the US, or its allies, feel their security is threatened, they will intervene. Note that in the case of Afghanistan and Iraq, it was not just the US intervening, but rather coalition forces including the Brits.

As to Israel/Gaza, no US intervention has taken place other than a call for a cease-fire.

If Haiti were to mount a terrorist attack on the US, declare war on the US, or be perceived to acquire weapons of mass destruction to be used against the US..........then and only then would you likely see US/coalition intervention in Haiti.

Otherwise it will be the usual diplomatic efforts and humanitarian aid funding.......which will bear no real fruit until 2121.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Yes, this is true. The threats from Russia and of the whole of the middle east kicking off into war are far more real for the US than lawlessness inside Haiti.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Lets hope the United States intervenes. They will be welcomed like liberators.
I really hope the US stays completely out if it (except for the money PINO Biden already pledged, which is not enough to bring the Kenyans anyway).

Haiti is hardly a byline issue in the USA.

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
They did such a great job of sorting out Afghanistan and Iraq and more recently their intervention in the Israel / Gaza war has done so much to help sort out the issues, I'm sure a bit of US intervention is just what Haiti needs right now.
I have the same thought of mind...U.S. military intervention which has happened several times before in Haiti is only a temporary stop-gap. The gangs will seemingly disappear only to reemerge when the coast is clear to wreak havoc and chaos again for their financial gain.

Reactions: Big and NanSanPedro

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
It’s amazing the number of Haitian, “saviours“, appearing on the political horizon, gang leaders, former convicts, the UN, CARICOM, the US, etc. Several months ago no one gave a rat‘s posterior about the future of Haiti. Now everyone has a solution but it’s a solution based on their own political agenda. The only foreign forces interested were the Kenyans and their motivation was mercenary. The only one who appeared to really care was President Abinader and his pleas fell on deaf ears.

There are too many political fingers in the Haitian pie right now to resolve any issues. The UN still has no sense of direction and appears to be grasping at straws. A true political cluster——k! I know PC2 is saying the issues will be resolved by 2121 tongue in cheek but there is truth in what he is saying. it is going to take years, maybe decades, before there is any semblance of lasting law and order in Haiti. Generational change politically and culturally is what’s required.

"Several months ago no one gave a rat‘s posterior about the future of Haiti."
Nothing has changed.
Very few do care, people are tired of the Haitian chaos, created by Haitians.
Why throw money or troops at it.
It's not as if Haitians will be thankful/appreciative.

It's just the flavour of the day in the news cycle.
Murders, rape, shooting, people wringing their hands...we must do something.
It will be quickly forgotten, as Syria, Gaza, Ukraine where dying, rape torture, and killing is the daily normal.
Haiti is just an unimportant country on the global scale.

Abinader is just trying to defend his country from Haitian incursions and chaos.

If there is generational change, fundamental change it will have to come from Haitians with the willingness to do so.
So far it's a country mired in Haitian corruption.

Reactions: Big

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
Lets hope the United States intervenes. They will be welcomed like liberators.
You are dreaming.
They will be condemned as a colonial occupation force.
No good deed goes unpunished!

Haitians rush to blame everyone, but themselves.
Including those which are now living in comfort on the outside.

Gratitude is a quality seldom seen.

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
They did such a great job of sorting out Afghanistan and Iraq and more recently their intervention in the Israel / Gaza war has done so much to help sort out the issues, I'm sure a bit of US intervention is just what Haiti needs right now.
They the US, may have ugly warts.

Do you see Russia, China, N. Korea, Iran, Africa, Arabs, Latin America as great democratic intervention help?
In all the years after Duvalier have any of them stepped up to help?

I side with the imperfect USA.

Reactions: aarhus

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
You are making apples to oranges comparisons here.

When the US, or its allies, feel their security is threatened, they will intervene. Note that in the case of Afghanistan and Iraq, it was not just the US intervening, but rather coalition forces including the Brits.

As to Israel/Gaza, no US intervention has taken place other than a call for a cease-fire.

If Haiti were to mount a terrorist attack on the US, declare war on the US, or be perceived to acquire weapons of mass destruction to be used against the US..........then and only then would you likely see US/coalition intervention in Haiti.

Otherwise it will be the usual diplomatic efforts and humanitarian aid funding.......which will bear no real fruit until 2121.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Well the US timeline in Afghanistan does not come out of a vacuum.

Helping Taliban against Russia, 7/11 attack and war on terrorism followed by Nato 2001-2003 ISAF.

Of course USA will defend their national security if international players were to install in Haiti to destabilize Western Democracies.
Of course we are aware of:
"perceived to acquire weapons of mass destruction to be used against the US.."

We can see the active hybrid, cyber, misinformation, destabilization war against Democracies going on.
Many do not understand that we are at war, boots on the ground are not the first steps.

Regional conflicts like Haiti are often used to further this.
That's why USA is actively watching Haiti, hoping for minimal involvement through NGO's, humanitarian effort and diplomacy, as you mentioned.

Reactions: bob saunders

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
The US does not need such a disaster. Looks like Haiti will remain on its own from what I have seen so far.
I think that Barbecue fellow takes over if the international/US community doesn't intervene.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Even better make Haiti like Puerto Rico
That means actually taking care of Haiti. Despite some Haitians sacrificed themselves in helping for the US independence, the US has forgotten that. Oh well…

Oh, what is this in Savannah, Georgia? No, it can’t be…

JWZaT0J.jpg

JWZauUv.jpg

Haiti’s land area is the size of Maryland and its population is less than NYC metro area population. Just saying…

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
That means actually taking care of Haiti. Despite some Haitians sacrificed themselves in helping for the US independence, the US has forgotten that. Oh well…

JWZaT0J.jpg

JWZauUv.jpg

Haiti’s land area is the size of Maryland and its population is less than NYC metro area population. Just saying…
Yes I don’t think it’s such a crazy thought. There is no other country like Haiti in the Western Hemisphere. And it is so close to the US. There are already many Haitians in the US. I have seen something in the news about a possible exodus now to the US. It’s not that it’s the US responsibility at all but it’s the only country that could do it.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Yes I don’t think it’s such a crazy thought. There is no other country like Haiti in the Western Hemisphere. And it is so close to the US. There are already many Haitians in the US. I have seen something in the news about a possible exodus now to the US. It’s not that it’s the US responsibility at all but it’s the only country that could do it.
The US could intervene in Haiti and restore law and order at gunpoint but France who was once linked closely to Haiti has the ability to do the same.

The US has the Marines who fight for the US but France has the Foreign Legion who fight for the Legion which happens to be based in France. Legionnaires France sends to countries to do dirty jobs that don’t result in the loss of French lives. The bonus is they speak French and they are rooted in mercenary style warfare. More highly trained and equipped than the Kenyans and a lot cheaper. Maybe just what Haiti needs.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
The US could intervene in Haiti and restore law and order at gunpoint but France who was once linked closely to Haiti has the ability to do the same.

The US has the Marines who fight for the US but France has the Foreign Legion who fight for the Legion which happens to be based in France. Legionnaires France sends to countries to do dirty jobs that don’t result in the loss of French lives. The bonus is they speak French and they are rooted in mercenary style warfare. More highly trained and equipped than the Kenyans and a lot cheaper. Maybe just what Haiti needs.
That’s true but is Haiti considered their area of interest. Would the US allow that. The French work with the Americans in Africa from what I have heard. But does France have any influence like that in this part of the world. They are probably historically partly responsible and the US isn’t really but it’s US area of interest now. Also I don’t think somehow the Haitians would welcome the French like they would I think the Americans. What does the experts on here say ?

Jan 9, 2004

JWZaT0J.jpg

JWZauUv.jpg

Just to be clear, the US has no obligation to embroil itself in Haiti….nor should it….other than perhaps humanitarian efforts.

And to clarify further, that Haitian monument you reference, while a tribute to “Haiti,” the French under its Treaty of Alliance with the colonies and who owned and controlled Haiti was the catalyst for sending the Chasseur brigade to the US to fight.

And continuing, that brigade was made up of not just “Haitians” but also freed slaves or slaves who earned their freedom from the other French islands of Guadeloupe and Martinique.

Finally, those freed slaves turned soldiers, who were identified as Dominican creoles, were mostly mixed race i. e., French fathers and slave mothers. Their plight was in that they were never fully accepted by either society.

And nobody has forgotten them as the monument is a reminder of their contribution.

As a postscript, the US has finally, after 2 years, confirmed a new ambassador to Haiti, ostensibly to help in trying to restore some semblance of order.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Just to be clear, the US has no obligation to embroil itself in Haiti….nor should it….other than perhaps humanitarian efforts.

And to clarify further, that Haitian monument you reference, while a tribute to “Haiti,” the French under its Treaty of Alliance with the colonies and who owned and controlled Haiti was the catalyst for sending the Chasseur brigade to the US to fight.

And continuing, that brigade was made up of not just “Haitians” but also freed slaves or slaves who earned their freedom from the other French islands of Guadeloupe and Martinique.

Finally, those freed slaves turned soldiers, who were identified as Dominican creoles, were mostly mixed race i. e., French fathers and slave mothers. Their plight was in that they were never fully accepted by either society.

And nobody has forgotten them as the monument is a reminder of their contribution.

As a postscript, the US has finally, after 2 years, confirmed a new ambassador to Haiti, ostensibly to help in trying to restore some semblance of order.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
So who is the new US ambassador?

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006

Biden administration is BLOCKING privately-funded Haiti evacuations by not allowing groups to fly out from landing zone, volunteers claim​