Haiti’s political crisis needs to be tackled by the international community, says expert

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I understand that you cannot handle knowledge in your 👁️ hole.

Your failed attempt to insult me only has me laughing tonight as I enjoy my Jack and Coke.

Is speaking English and Spanish a ceiling on getting ahead❓

You don't know me and there is an expression about assumption you should heed my man.
Do you live in the same country 🇩🇴 as I do❓
Transit union meeting over again, got you uptight?

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
How to survive.
Acceptance of reality.
Hard work.
Most Haitians that I have spoken to here say they do not like it in 🇩🇴 .
And I understand why.
But they need to work and make money.
I knew a house cleaner that was Haitian who spoke four languages.
I know people from 🇺🇲 that cannot even speak their native language well.
Let alone another language.

Asked and answered‼️
Need to know anything else❓
The languages the house cleaner I knew spoke were:
French
French creole
Spanish
English

How many languages does the individual being critical speak ❓
Where do they live❓
Even if they write off French creole that still leaves three useful languages does it not❓
I am waiting to read his scholarly articles that have been published in an academic journal.
Until then...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Meanwhile the subject of the irretrievably failed state in Haiti leads to beefed up police presence at the border:

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
May I ask why someone is so bereft of intellectual ability and knowledge on the government and people of Haiti that they repeat posts ❓

Post #47 has the same news article posted from Dominican Today as post #63
So, is post #63 considered a update of information ❓
So, simply an attempt by someone so desperate for attention that they need to continue to repeat themselves❓

Here is an actual news update:

Haiti's base starts with agriculture.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I think it very wise for the DR to send all those troops to the border now in light of the chaos in Haiti. I expect that they will have to stay for quite a while and am not quite clear exactly WHERE they are deployed? The four LEGAL border crossings (Dajabon/Elias Pina/Jimani/Pedernales are already reasonably well guarded - as are the roads coming into them on the DR side. The mountains running down from north to south are going to be harder to patrol and even supply troops as there is little development and only scattered settlements. But it is a wise move considering the state of Haiti right now.

As to the article posted by Bob - that is certainly my experience with the Haitian community here in South Florida as well as what I know about Haitians in Haiti - It is an extremely patriarchal culture. Single woman are - well - rare - and at risk.. Any sort of foreign female - blans- had best be connected to a mission of some sort.. if they dare to live alone in the countryside they are often considered "loup garou" - a sort of werewolf - that brings bad luck to the community.

Education is most certainly the key - as well at the distinction in class - only about 15% or less - of the population there actually speaks French - which is the language in which the official news is printed. It was only under Aristide that Kreyole also became an official language, I believe. Certainly all Haitians speak Kreyole - while only those who can afford to send their children through secondary school - which is taught completely in French - will actually rise in either their society or the general world.

The immigrants into the DR who are there who speak the 3, 4, sometimes 5 (since Italian is an easy one after French and Spanish) and find easy employment in the tourist sector - are often able to afford the proper papers and even working visas into the DR. But the vast majority of Haitians can not. I would venture to guess that the vast majority of Haitians have no real identity papers at all. For years, the only sort of birth registry were the records kept by local Catholic Church.

Here is an article that I wrote about some of the educated undocumented workers in the DR-- it really broke my heart to meet these folks since Haiti has SUCH a need for this managerial educated class of people but there does not seem to be any way for them to earn a livelihood over there.

I agree with Nan that most of the Haitians that I met in the DR would have preferred to live in Haiti if they could make a living there.

The great mystery is always "WHY" they can't make a living there? There are so many complex reasons - history, etc - but - the ONE change that would mean the most to the future of Haiti would be allowing dual citizenship so that those who have emigrated (and their children) could vote. As I reflected on the two countries - this seemed to me the main difference between them in their recent years. In Haiti , the laws and constitution can not be changed as easily as in the DR. I am not sure where the Diaspora Vote issue is right now - it was certainly on the forefront of issues under Martelly. Now, of course, there really IS no government as JoMo is ruling by decree and the legislature rarely meets.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
A bit more on the difficulty that even the Haitian diaspora has in doing business in Haiti -https://www.wlrn.org/news/2015-08-03/dissing-the-diaspora-why-cant-haitian-expats-vote-in-sundays-haitian-elections

Many (some say most ) of the industrial leaders - (Apaid,Boulos- Group 184) are not even Haitian born but rather Middle Eastern - the entrepreneurial Lebanese. THE MOST successful business in Haiti is DIGICELL brought in by an industrious Irish man. That company revolutionized Haiti - really . They came in and actually CAMPED on the ground while putting up the towers - which really astonished the Haitians who had never seen Blans behaving so strangely.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
A bit more on the difficulty that even the Haitian diaspora has in doing business in Haiti -https://www.wlrn.org/news/2015-08-03/dissing-the-diaspora-why-cant-haitian-expats-vote-in-sundays-haitian-elections

Many (some say most ) of the industrial leaders - (Apaid,Boulos- Group 184) are not even Haitian born but rather Middle Eastern - the entrepreneurial Lebanese. THE MOST successful business in Haiti is DIGICELL brought in by an industrious Irish man. That company revolutionized Haiti - really . They came in and actually CAMPED on the ground while putting up the towers - which really astonished the Haitians who had never seen Blans behaving so strangely.

Our money changer was a Lebanese Haitian. I remember him well. He had a ton of security. He got shot in a robbery once and became ultra-cautious.

Reactions: mountainannie

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-

And yet they continue to do business there.
Help me out cause I am not a sophisticated investor.
Isn't the reason a business is in business is to make money ❓
Why would a business enter a failed state without hope in order to do that❓

Our money changer was a Lebanese Haitian. I remember him well. He had a ton of security. He got shot in a robbery once and became ultra-cautious.
Your man is going as hard in the paint as you can go‼️

Jan 9, 2004
And yet they continue to do business there.
Help me out cause I am not a sophisticated investor.
Isn't the reason a business is in business is to make money ❓
Why would a business enter a failed state without hope in order to do that❓

Your man is going as hard in the paint as you can go‼️
Perhaps like Digicell they had little risk..................because they used OPM.

Haito Teleco morphed from a poorly run corruption ridden state enterprise into several other state/private partnerships. Digicell and its progeny were funded by the IFC a component of the World Bank.

Few companies will enter Haiti to fund anything using their own capital.............unless they want to send it to die............

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: mountainannie

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Perhaps like Digicell they had little risk..................because they used OPM.

Haito Teleco morphed from a poorly run corruption ridden state enterprise into several other state/private partnerships. Digicell and its progeny were funded by the IFC a component of the World Bank.

Few companies will enter Haiti to fund anything using their own capital.............unless they want to send it to die............
I am missing your point.
Even a unsophisticated investor knows return of principle is more important than return on principle.
Somebody took the risk.
All businesses that are successful in Haiti are funded by the worlds taxpayers ❓

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
I went to a "public" university in NYC, many Dominicans and Haitians. Haitians did MUCH better than Dominicans in general (Even my Dominican best friend, an A+ student that later became a successful engineer would say it).
You can have fantastic individuals that somehow always fail to make passing grade at self-government when taken as a group. Theirs seem to be such a case.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Notice that the same case is being increasingly the one of Venezuelans now with two decades of chavismo. The open question here is if Venezuelan dysfunctionality will go on in time as long as the Haitian one has had.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I went to a "public" university in NYC, many Dominicans and Haitians. Haitians did MUCH better than Dominicans in general (Even my Dominican best friend, an A+ student who later became a successful engineer would say it).
Let's face it.
Sitting in the command chair (military, business, government) is not easy.
Haiti is an especially tough case.

Reactions: Russell

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
You can have fantastic individuals that somehow always fail to make passing grade at self-government. Theirs seem to be such a case.
The point that I was making, as Bob said it, is that it isn't a Haitian trait to fail. By the way, most of them were US born (so were the Dominicans).
As much as people love to bash them, they are extremely hard workers.

Their government has failed its people big time is the understatement of the year. I also believe that foreigners/Missionaries haven't helped despite their best intention (if they ever had any, that is).

I know personally foreigners who made a shit tone of money "helping" Haiti and I even considered myself for a couple years (yeah, the money was THAT good).

Former Haitian Dictators and their extended family are chilling in the South of France, living a life of luxury with no worries. Why change ?

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
The languages the house cleaner I knew spoke were:
French
French creole
Spanish
English

How many languages does the individual being critical speak ❓
Where do they live❓
Even if they write off French creole that still leaves three useful languages does it not❓
I am waiting to read his scholarly articles that have been published in an academic journal.
Until then...
On the other hand i hired a housekeeper on good recommendation of friend who spoke neither french , Spanish nor English...only creole.
Nova Scotia Acadiand have an ability to understand creole.
Then one day she dissapeared.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I think that Boulos- and others - was actually born in Haiti - And my observations about the Lebanese was simply based on personal observation - they are very good traders - and adventurers (in the best sense) and have been emigrating for years -

And many have family connections that go back many, many years

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reginald_Boulos

And one wealthy Palestinian - noted for his support of Aristide - and - well - assassinated - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_Izméry

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
I think that Boulos- and others - was actually born in Haiti - And my observations about the Lebanese was simply based on personal observation - they are very good traders - and adventurers (in the best sense) and have been emigrating for years -

And many have family connections that go back many, many years

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reginald_Boulos

And one wealthy Palestinian - noted for his support of Aristide - and - well - assassinated - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_Izméry
Somehow the DR has been better at making the Lebanese/Syrians here actually give a toss about the country they live in.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I went to a "public" university in NYC, many Dominicans and Haitians. Haitians did MUCH better than Dominicans in general (Even my Dominican best friend, an A+ student who later became a successful engineer would say it).
I would suggest that the family backgrounds of almost ALL of the Haitians in the US - their basic education level - may indeed be higher than that of the Dominicans. Perhaps not their "on paper" credentials so much as the value that they place on education, the importance on book learning, the discipline they instill in their children to study. Just speculation...