Haiti has no chance of improvement

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
China was considered a hopeless basket case doomed to mass starvation as late as the 1960’s. It’s history during the 20th century before that was mostly war, chaos, plague, famine and government dysfunction.

It’s prospects have improved.
I don't see how you can compare China's multi-thousand year history with Haiti. And China was NEVER the s#!thole that Haiti is. Never.

Manzana

Jan 23, 2007
I have to disagree about not growing trees in a short period of time.
Flying over Haiti I noticed thousands of acres of fallow,agriculture land .

In some African countries the Starvation and high child mortality was significantly reduced by planting the ''Moringa Tree''. Not only did the tree reduce erosion but the neutrants from the tree provided essential elements to feed the people and improve the health standards at the sam etime.

This plant also provides Export opportunities for it's by-products.

And last but not least it will help with rainfall.
Moringa makes terrible charcoal!!

Moringa trees can grow as high as 30 ft in one year.... but the low bush Moringa is excellent for Moringa Tea.

I agree that Moringa is not the sure cure for what Haiti needs. But it is a start.........

But, that is only my opinion.
My company has researched Moringa for the past six years..... from India to Africa and now here in RD.

Hey , it is only my opinion; for what it is worth.

Russell

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moringa_oleifera

Pretty amazing tree, thanks.

Manzana

Jan 23, 2007
I don't see how you can compare China's multi-thousand year history with Haiti. And China was NEVER the s#!thole that Haiti is. Never.

Yet for much of the 20th century (and of course for most of its people for most of that history) conditions were worse than modern Haiti. Conditions were at least as bad in much of Europe 200 years ago. Conditions in Haiti are now much worse than the RD but were very similar through the 1960s. In 1960 the typical person in China was worse off than the typical person in Haiti.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Yet for much of the 20th century (and of course for most of its people for most of that history) conditions were worse than modern Haiti. Conditions were at least as bad in much of Europe 200 years ago. Conditions in Haiti are now much worse than the RD but were very similar through the 1960s. In 1960 the typical person in China was worse off than the typical person in Haiti.
Please link me to the conditions in China you refer to.

China is massive. Haiti is tiny. There is NO WAY *ALL* of China was as bad as the conditions in tiny Haiti. There was never a "typical" Chinese person based on a massive population and geographic diversity that does not exist in Haiti.

Surely you can do better than compare a country with hundreds of millions of people (or, today, billions) in China to the 11 million in Haiti. I won't even get into the massive differences in natural and human resources.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
A journey of a 1000 steps begins with the first step (or something like that)

Sure plant lots of trees. Diversity of species will become more important later on. Just do something that is of benefit to the whole. Then do another such thing...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
To help trees re-grow, do-gooders should give away simple propane burners and subsidize propane. In 10 years the hillsides would look entirely different.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
We can prioritize all we want. It seems to make sense to provide clean water, some type of waste removal and treatment and the ability to boil water and cook a chicken. I think at this point we can't be too fussy. I'm looking for any sign that the govt is prepared to do anything (other than ban DR products) to aid their people in the short term as well as the longer term.

There is no plan and no genuine will to create one. This appears perfectly fine with most Haitians as they can just cross the border rather than marching on the President's residence demanding his head for their pot.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Well
there's a 'do good' idea...

plant the Moringa trees

AS a "do good idea" and a NGO project Moringa Development will absolutely fail.... that includes Government involvement.
It will not even work initially as a Co-oP project.
This needs to be led by Industry Investors ... people who are capitalists who believe in Socio-Economic growth.And have International Marketing expertise.
For example in the right hands 1000 Moringa Trees can produce as much as $1,000,000.oo dollars per year. That is no BS.
It likes poor soil and needs little or no water once established,
Moringa is also an excellent Organic Food source for Animals eliminating the need for growth hormones or anti inflammatory medicines.
Thats enough ..... But the concept has been proven time and time again.
There is a Socio-Capitalist company in Canada who is doing just that in Africa.
The villages are doing well and the company is making money... jobs created and people living better. Google Moringa and become educated on one of the opportunities to make a change not only in Haiti but everywhere.
That's enough of me...have a good night.
Russell

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Take the time to google the link on post #62... then ask yourself why with all the ''Billions'' of dollars spent on ''Humanitarian Aid'' did they not do more than use Moringa trees in Haiti for Windbreaks and soil erosion and not health products and supplements.
Good night folks enjoy !
Russell

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I have to disagree about not growing trees in a short period of time.
Flying over Haiti I noticed thousands of acres of fallow,agriculture land .

In some African countries the Starvation and high child mortality was significantly reduced by planting the ''Moringa Tree''. Not only did the tree reduce erosion but the neutrants from the tree provided essential elements to feed the people and improve the health standards at the sam etime.

This plant also provides Export opportunities for it's by-products.

And last but not least it will help with rainfall.
Moringa makes terrible charcoal!!

Moringa trees can grow as high as 30 ft in one year.... but the low bush Moringa is excellent for Moringa Tea.

I agree that Moringa is not the sure cure for what Haiti needs. But it is a start.........

But, that is only my opinion.
My company has researched Moringa for the past six years..... from India to Africa and now here in RD.

Hey , it is only my opinion; for what it is worth.

Russell

.....good idea...now get the them to start planting, I have always said the trees are the beginning......Doc.......

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
.....good idea...now get the them to start planting, I have always said the trees are the beginning......Doc.......
Not as long as poor Haitians need fuel. No tree is safe until alternative cooking fuels are widely utilized.

Because they make "terrible charcoal" does not mean they won't be used as fuel.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Not as long as poor Haitians need fuel. No tree is safe until alternative cooking fuels are widely utilized.

Because they make "terrible charcoal" does not mean they won't be used as fuel.

This is the exact theatre or arena people and/or organizations should be dedicating their resources to.....
alternative cooking fuels for the Haitian people. Highly agreed.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
This is the exact theatre or arena people and/or organizations should be dedicating their resources to.....
alternative cooking fuels for the Haitian people. Highly agreed.
Don't look at traditional NGO's to do this.

Schwartz's book was a real eye-opener: NGO's SELL the food given them for free by gubmints in order to get $$$ to fund their central bureaucracy and have a big % siphoned off by local corruption.

5 million simple propane burners and subsidized fuel could almost solve Haiti's deforestation crisis in 10 years, along with much environmental damage. Buy, hey, that doesn't tug at the heartstrings of the TV public suckered into donations to NGO's who PROFIT from not solving problems.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
China was considered a hopeless basket case doomed to mass starvation as late as the 1960’s. It’s history during the 20th century before that was mostly war, chaos, plague, famine and government dysfunction.

It’s prospects have improved.

Comparing Haiti to China is something I would never consider a valid comparison. The dynamics and magnitudes of the two are so vastly different.

Even in this thread there is no solution suggested that could work to revive Haiti. That is how far gone the situation there is from first hand discussions I just had with people that tried to help there for almost 6 years.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Besides.. the people who control the money flow in Haiti are more
concerned about building new soccer stadiums then helping the citizens
who live in poverty.

A good friend of mine was deported back to Haiti from the USA
about 8 years ago.. He makes frequent trips back there while living
here in the DR and tells me life over there is like living in a bucket full of crabs.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Besides.. the people who control the money flow in Haiti are more
concerned about building new soccer stadiums then helping the citizens
who live in poverty.

A good friend of mine was deported back to Haiti from the USA
about 8 years ago.. He makes frequent trips back there while living
here in the DR and tells me life over there is like living in a bucket full of crabs.

and life in the USA is not a bucket full of crabs?

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
The main problem in Haiti are Haitians, they dont want change, they ony want receive everything but they dont do nothing, every body that was trying to help now is tired because they dont see any improvements, and a lot of them thnik in Dominican solutions to all the haitians problems. I have to thank that now they find out also a Chilean solution and are exporting there haitian same way they have been doing to Dominican Republic, actually are arriving an average of 200 haitians every day to Chile, wich is very good because very soon Chile will be in the foot of the Dominican Republic.