Helicopter with tourists missing

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Lifestyle Helicopter Leasing Inc. bought the helicopter barely two years ago for $500,000 and change.

The purpose was likely to use for corporate AND to lease to others on an available basis. It is not an uncommon practice for both helicopters and fixed wing aircraft.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Very common. They put it into Part 121 status, then charter it to themselves and other paying customers.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
A Swiss architect and his wife..here.

Not sure if this is the same, name and age matches..here.

RIP

According to the article, thats 4 victims from the same town ( crans montana ). The architect ( Jean Pierre Emery ), his wife( Geraldine Moschovis) , Louis Paul Guitay and his grandson Richard Emmanuel Phillipe.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Lack of fuel cited as the cause along with weather

I remember Medina touring in the election...
They had to put down in Nagua and continue by car

The Presidential helicopter had no gas ⛽️

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Lack of fuel cited as the cause along with weather

I remember Medina touring in the election...
They had to put down in Nagua and continue by car

The Presidential helicopter had no gas ⛽️

I've been hearing similar rumours. Absolutely shocking if this turns out to be true.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Only one person to hold responsible, and he is dead. The Pilot.

also was a blurb about he overestimated his ability. for vfr as it was getting dark when they took off. this was in addition to a fuel deficiency

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
I've been hearing similar rumours. Absolutely shocking if this turns out to be true.

It's true. He landed in Maimon Bonao on the baseball field by my house and waited for a truck to come by with jet fuel.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Initially, they cited that VFR is not allowed except in/on selected paths

Tricky .....

Remember, there was a similar crash years ago killing the son of the prospective purchaser of Playa Grande.
With his son dead - he withdrew

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
also was a blurb about he overestimated his ability. for vfr as it was getting dark when they took off. this was in addition to a fuel deficiency
VFR in the dark with low fuel over a mountainous region is a suicide mission...

If this is true, the charter company is in for some serious torts.

abnor

Nov 7, 2006
I knew the pilot. I actually felt sorry for the Lifestyle pilots who ferry pax from POP to Cofresi all day, every day. Must have become quite boring quite quickly.

They were always very courteous in the air. They never bothered anyone, buzzing around at 500ft along the coastline. Their RT was impeccable, they never seemed to let the monotony affect their complacency.

Night VFR is forbidden in most parts of the DR. There are a few corridors. There is one from STI to LRM, but I would never want to attempt that in a single engine aircraft. There are no safe places to put down in the event of an engine failure. It seems that the helo was on this corridor, but not sure which rules he was flying under.

May you rest in peace Roberto and your passengers.

May those who lost there lives Rest In Peace. My experiences are very different than yours. Having spent a deal deal of time in Cofresi. They consistently flew ignoring the “200 ceiling law” and we’re not respectful of the neighborhood.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
May those who lost there lives Rest In Peace. My experiences are very different than yours. Having spent a deal deal of time in Cofresi. They consistently flew ignoring the “200 ceiling law” and we’re not respectful of the neighborhood.

I'm not sure what law you are citing, because as far as I am aware, there is no 200 ceiling law. Perhaps you might be referring to CFR91.119, but you will find that helicopters are somewhat exempt from that during takeoff and landing. And Cofresi is a location that helicopters take off and land.

The aircraft in question was N registered, meaning that the pilot, maintenance and air operator's certificate was done in accordance with the FAA.

http://rgl.faa.gov/regulatory_and_g...91693c93525de33e862576c100763e31!OpenDocument