Helicopter with tourists missing

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
url]http://rgl.faa.gov/regulatory_and_guidance_library/rgfar.nsf/b4a0cab3e513bb58852566c70067018f/91693c93525de33e862576c100763e31!OpenDocument[/url]
And if it Part 121, the maintenance is even more strict.

Unless you have a fuel leak, there is zero excuse for running out. None.

Jan 9, 2004
I'm not sure what law you are citing, because as far as I am aware, there is no 200 ceiling law. Perhaps you might be referring to CFR91.119, but you will find that helicopters are somewhat exempt from that during takeoff and landing. And Cofresi is a location that helicopters take off and land.

The aircraft in question was N registered, meaning that the pilot, maintenance and air operator's certificate was done in accordance with the FAA.

http://rgl.faa.gov/regulatory_and_g...91693c93525de33e862576c100763e31!OpenDocument

You are correct that there is no "200 ceiling law" for helicopters......even in the DR.....

Helicopters have always been allowed to be operated at less than the minimums prescribed for fixed wing aircraft as long as the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Jan 9, 2004
And if it Part 121, the maintenance is even more strict.

Unless you have a fuel leak, there is zero excuse for running out. None.

I think you also need to add Part 135 (Charter Operations).

If the helicopter ran out of fuel, without a leak..........pilot error. But if the engine was somehow starved for fuel...different story.

I am not sure that the authorities can certify that quickly that the aircraft actually ran out of fuel.........as the stories have indicated how inaccessible the crash site is and the engine and equipment now need to be forensically examined by the manufacturers to rule out other possible causes.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
VFR in the dark with low fuel over a mountainous region is a suicide mission...

If this is true, the charter company is in for some serious torts.
No rocks in that sector.Looks like it was gethomeitis that killed them.CRM 101.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I think you also need to add Part 135 (Charter Operations).

If the helicopter ran out of fuel, without a leak..........pilot error. But if the engine was somehow starved for fuel...different story.

I am not sure that the authorities can certify that quickly that the aircraft actually ran out of fuel.........as the stories have indicated how inaccessible the crash site is and the engine and equipment now need to be forensically examined by the manufacturers to rule out other possible causes.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
They can figure out some of the fuel issue by refueling receipts and the log book. A Charter operation would keep both.

May 5, 2007
They can also use the method normally reserved for such super sleuths as CSI, look in the fuel tank and immediate area for signs of kerosene No fuel in tank or evidence of same in immediate area, yup..fuel starvation Funny how that works :beard: Damm Rotors, shouldn't be allowed to beat the earth into submission

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
They can also use the method normally reserved for such super sleuths as CSI, look in the fuel tank and immediate area for signs of kerosene No fuel in tank or evidence of same in immediate area, yup..fuel starvation Funny how that works :beard: Damm Rotors, shouldn't be allowed to beat the earth into submission
A leak would be different than just running out of gas because you cut the endurance and fuel reserve short.

May 5, 2007
Didn't someone say there were 5+1 on board? Looking at Eurocopter website the configuration is 3 buckets in back and left side for Pax? Maybe use a bench

Jan 9, 2004
They can figure out some of the fuel issue by refueling receipts and the log book. A Charter operation would keep both.

What gives me pause about running out of fuel report is the fact that this helicopter is likely configured with a 10 minute fuel censor......meaning if it was working properly, the pilot had a full ten minutes to try and find a spot to land.....and based upon the specs of the aircraft he had an approximately 30 mile radius.

Assuming he was an experienced pilot and knew the terrain, I am, at this point, just not convinced about out the "ran of fuel story" being put out.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
What gives me pause about running out of fuel report is the fact that this helicopter is likely configured with a 10 minute fuel censor......meaning if it was working properly, the pilot had a full ten minutes to try and find a spot to land.....and based upon the specs of the aircraft he had an approximately 30 mile radius.

Assuming he was an experienced pilot and knew the terrain, I am, at this point, just not convinced about out the "ran of fuel story" being put out.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Agreed. Plus no contact at all with ATC, even flying VFR? No transponder to code emergency? Unless he was busting minimums and shenanigans.

But then again, this IS the DR.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
This helicopter was powered by jet fuel, not gasoline. Jet fuel is actually very difficult to ignite in an open atmosphere.

Jet fuel doesn't ignite as easily as av gas but, it's not difficult at all. I could give you a laundry list of turboprop and turbojet aircraft that have crashed and burned.

The Arrow Air DC-8 that crashed on takeoff from MIA in 1997 and the United DC-10 that crashed trying to land in Souix City in 1989 come to mind.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I knew the pilot. I actually felt sorry for the Lifestyle pilots who ferry pax from POP to Cofresi all day, every day. Must have become quite boring quite quickly.

They were always very courteous in the air. They never bothered anyone, buzzing around at 500ft along the coastline. Their RT was impeccable, they never seemed to let the monotony affect their complacency.

Night VFR is forbidden in most parts of the DR. There are a few corridors. There is one from STI to LRM, but I would never want to attempt that in a single engine aircraft. There are no safe places to put down in the event of an engine failure. It seems that the helo was on this corridor, but not sure which rules he was flying under.

May you rest in peace Roberto and your passengers.

Pilots in single engine aircraft fly all the time over areas where there is no safe place to put down.