Help with potential locations

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it basically means that getting a good job in DR is hard. i know few foreigners who are doing well but vast majority are either pensioners or drifters. so if you need to work in DR to make a living don't come at all (obvious exclusion is those who already have online jobs and location makes no difference to their earning abilities).

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
ok so now we have helped get you into a $7000 a year private school and a $1200 a month private villa.. Casa de 2 Habitaciones en Perla Marina para Rentar, Cabarete

not that you could not find cheaper, because, of course, you can

file this under the Dominican Republic is not a cheap place to live.

add health insurance.. minimum $200

add electric

add cable

add car

add insurance

add... add .. add..

still interested?

*you may be a WILDLY successful writer,,, who knows?

Russ Reynolds

Mar 27, 2015
ok so now we have helped get you into a $7000 a year private school and a $1200 a month private villa.. Casa de 2 Habitaciones en Perla Marina para Rentar, Cabarete

add electric

add cable

add car

add insurance

add... add .. add..

still interested?

Still interested yes.

Put it this way...I am not a coffee shop wannabe Stephen King. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

I am a copywriter...most don't know what that means.

But I make a decent living.

Not a big shot by any means but the budget you describe wouldn't be an issue.

From some of the other threads I was recommended to read, I am somewhat concerned about safety. Having lived in Mexico I know to take what I hear with a grain of salt but I also know it would be foolish to not at least consider it.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
actually, that's not particularly unreasonable. remember, russ has already said that he's comfortable with a $2000 a month rent note. So, 1200 dollars a month is pretty easy, given his budget. and keep in mind that private school in many states is almost as costly as going to a private university. by comparison, 7000 dollars a year is a bargain.

we spend so much time talking about whether a person can live comfortably off a thousand dollars a month that we occasionally forget there are many people out there who have more than enough funds to live comfortably just about anywhere in the world. russ has given us a budget, and we should try to respond with information that's as accurate as possible. anyway, that's my two cents.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
The nice thing for foreigners when they come here is that they can live in a bubble apart from the materialism so prevalent in Dominican "culture". A foreigner can rent a nice place somewhere without worrying about family or "friends" looking down at you for driving an older SUV, or spending vacation time at home. You can do what you want, wear what you want and no one cares. There is no competition as to whose wife had the most recent plastic surgery, who has the most maids, whose mutual funds are paying the most etc..

In many ways our lifestyle here is superior to our lifestyle in the States, my wife doesnt work which she had to in the States, we have more than enough each month. We eat and drink out more than we would in the States.

However it is materialistic culture where it is constant one up man ship. My wife is kind of oblivious to our family dynamics and enjoys our life here as long as she gets to Florida 4-5 times a year. I know what is said behind behind our back though. With 180 000 plus pesos a month most months, living in a nice part of the capital, multiple trips abroad each year, kid in a good school we are viewed as the poor ones who don't cut it.

A foreigner is blessed to enjoy the beauty and lifestyle of this country without having to deal with Dominicans above the servant level.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Just because Pedro Clisante has putas doesn't make Sosua unsafe. ISS and Garden Kids Sosua are good schools. The greater question should be ?why the D.R.?

Sooooooo true. RV sorry I meant to hit like not dislike.

Bob K

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hello,

I am considering relocating to the DR with my family later this year. Wondering if anybody can suggest possible locations.

Here is the criteria...

- Not interested in living in a large city - could be a small town or a small city of up to 200,000 or so
- looking for a Caribbean beach type lifestyle
- Strong Internet is a must
- My daughter (13) would need to attend a private school - decent sized...she does not want to be in a class of 5 :)
- Will rent for a year - budget is around $2,000 USD per month for rent - has to be a house rather than an apartment (we have a dog)
- Needs to be a safe area - gated if possible but necessary

I am coming for a week in June so I hope to narrow down to 2-3 possible areas to explore living in before I come.

Thanks in advance to anyone who chooses to reply...I appreciate it!

Russ

I would check out Las Terrenas on the Samana Peninsula. Las Terrenas is a unique town with a heavy European population of about 5000 French, 1000 Italians, 600 Germans and a smatering of other European countries. Additional there are Canadian, American, Haitian and of course Dominicans here. This is a beach community but with a European influence. There is a private school. You can find info on the net. Where are you flying in from? There is an international airport El Catey (AZS) 30 minutes away from Las Terrenas. If you plan on relocating you will need to apply for temporary residency. This process starts in your home country. You will need to contact the closest Dominican Consulate to find out what the document requirements are. It is a little more complicated to live in the DR than just moving here. Good luck.

Russ Reynolds

Mar 27, 2015
Thanks guys. The problem with LT - at least from what I've found so far - is that there is no private high school.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
that will be the driving factor - schools - and the limiting factor

wrong country perhaps for high end education.

you may need to consider the boarding school option in Can/US/Europe
big budget.... but probably worth it

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

add electric

add cable

add car

add insurance

add... add .. add..

still interested?

Lifestyle dictates expenses. It is true that he'll have to get health Insurance but we have Palic with decent coverage for around $30 us per month each. Lifestyle to a degree also dictates health.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yea, that's exactly what i mean. there are folks who have a steady income and can work from any place on earth.

windeguy point is always that if someone says they want to live in DR but they need to find a job here first, maybe teaching english (yawn) or running a beach bar (yawn) - then they should not come at all.

Russ Reynolds

Mar 27, 2015
I am ok with hardships to be sure...my income is steady though and from anywhere as discussed so money should not be one of the hardships.

If safety is a problem though, I'd have to reconsider.

I tend to take those things with a grain of salt until I can see for myself firsthand.

Coming in June for a week or 2 to see.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
here's my rule of thumb RR

the further you go from a tourist area, the safer the environment - that's my experience
it seems to me that the horror stories emanate from the tourist zones.

certainly crime can be a problem, as it can anywhere..... so, you assess and play your cards right to minimize any potential problem.

on your visit - 'get out of town' a bit.......... not Sosua/Cabarete
Santiago may suit you.... but its 1M people

you will never be far from a beach, if you want one...
you have lots of choices.

Steady internet can be had by your own dish...
the options are all here........

you just need to get them and all that takes is $$$
sounds simple, but..........

best example is solar power....
great - no interruptions - but has a high initial cost... maybe tens of thousands
however, you won't blow up your computer/TV/stereo....blah, blah blah.

many of us have moved here ignoring some of the well meant advice and are surviving nicely

best of luck

Yup it is safer out of the tourist places for sure, people in Sos?a and Cabarete always mention how dangerous it is where I live Just before Gaspar but there has not been one problem, my doors are open almost all the time (we have 10 dogs though and they are scary looking and many security measures in place) and if I leave the garage door open the kids come and tell us instead of ransacking the place. My barrio takes great care of us! Not everyone can deal with non gated communities or barrio type locations though.

We are wanting to move to Sosua bc we are there 5-6 days a week for my wife's work and the commute is not the best in the wee hours of the am but my main concern is safety, I know it won't be as safe as here.

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
All the people I know that graduated from the accredited international school in Sosua are very smart and have had a very good education. Homes in the developments of Casa Linda and Hispanola in Sosua are very safe and well constructed. Really give you the carribean feel. There are two nice supermarkets nearby, Super Polo and Playero that have a large selection. Also, La Serena in Puerto Plata has a bit more food selection. I have lived in Cabarete and hang out with friends in Sosua and have not had any crime happen to me or even thefts. There is a good community of expats. There are three work-out gyms in the area and lots of beaches around. I like Sosua as you can tell, although I live in Cabarete, which is very nice as well. I have a very limited Spanish vocabulary and get by speaking english without any problems. You can probably rent a house in these communities for $1,200 to $1,800...maybe slightly less or more depending upon the size of the house and how much searching you do. I have lived here for five years and I am happy here. Best wishes.

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
I am 53 years old and my health insurance costs about $37 per month. I use Universal Insurance. I have had very good experiences at the CMC hospital in Sosua, which is mostly an expat hospital. There is an older hospital in Puerto Platta that is higher regarded and some people go to Santiago for more complicated health situations. Universal Insurance is accepted at most hospitals and clinics. I always get a smile when I tell the clerk that I have that company's insurance.

Buying a car here is very expensive if you want something new. In Cabarete now we can get 10mbs internet service from Claro. That seems to be the cheapest deal. You may want to check your location as fibre optic service is being extended to many areas and has up to 40mbs service for about $80 per month.

Food costs can vary a lot depending upon the type of restaurants you want to go to and such. In the Sosua/Cabarete area there are a lot of restaurants for the expat taste. People from Italy, Germany and all over have opened restaurants. Of course Dominican food is available all over as well.

I would suggest for your first time to a foreign place that you stay in an expat/tourist area first so the culture shock is not so much. You can more easily go to restaurants and eat or make food from home which is a comfort. Staying in a gated community is also what I suggest.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Don Russ", You CAN Come!!!!

I like your STYLE!!!!!!!!
I HAVE LIVED HERE FOR 20 YEARS, WORKED HERE FOR 10,Hospital in SD, Now retired, AGAIN!
Bought a house here in SD 20 years ago, RAISING A FAMILY OF 4 KIDS, ONE STEP SON, NOW 23 AND GRADUATING FROM UNIV. THIS YEAR.
My Dominican wife and I ( married 20 years this October,...IF she behaves herself!!!!) have 3 of our own, boy, 17, at univ,. and girls, 11 & 12, in grade school, grand parents live with us too, 10 years now!!!

Your intelligence come through "Loud & Clear"!!!!!!
Something in short supply here!!!!
After you have made 500 posts on DR1, you have access to the "Off Topic Forum".
I think that the idea is,..."If you stay here long enough to make 500 posts, you are certifiably "NUTS"!!!!

HOPE YOU stay!!!!!!!!

"WE",........"Sane Ones" are in short supply there!!!!!!!!

Check out "Casa de Campo" in June.
Secure Beach living,...1 hour from SD!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Wise decision OP..coming here for 1-2 weeks to get a feel of what living here is like. Casa de Campo may be a good area for you to look. It has pretty much everything that your looking for as CC has pointed out. Check out the North Coast also it too has a lot to offer. Personally though if we ever moved out of the Capital it would probably be to the East as I still would want access to Santo Domingo without a long commute, especially now with the new highway. The Dominican Republic has many beautiful areas in which to live. It is just a matter of finding the one you feel most comfortable in.