HIERROS or NO HIERROS

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I was thinking that. Looks like a prison with the military guy outside and all those bars.
My apartamento in Sosua is located on the second floor of the building, government bank is on the first level

JJ

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
My apartamento in Sosua is located on the second floor of the building, government bank is on the first level

JJ

That's an interesting setup. Govt. bank in a non-government building?

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Next time I go over there I am going to install a live camera of Pedro Clisante Street for those who are far away.

JJ

rey

Jan 2, 2007
Again it depends on where you are. In upscale areas the police show up in seconds. Every time I have called 911 from the Colonial Zone they have come in less than 1 minute. Same in Piantini, Bella Vista, La Julia. In Cazicazgos, the most upmarket area, they have permanent patrols going up and down Anacaona.
They have a permanent patrol goin up and down anacaona ??? NOW that’s what I call living on a safe street !

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Anyone who goes around thinking a neighborhood is completely safe is almost certainly asking to be robbed. Most attacks in Santo Domingo take place in the rich areas. If you were two kids on a moto looking to get money, would you a) go to a poorest area and steal a handbag with a few coins in it or b) go to the richest one and steal a designer handbag full of cash?
That's a logical concept, but does it relates to reality?

If it does, the the colors should be the inverse.

IMG_9432.jpeg

The most dangerous parts of Santo Domingo is that huge section in the northeast which include many (perhaps most) of the slums too. The safest areas tend to be areas with a decent to high concentration of the rich (ex: Viejo Arroyo Hondo) and middle class (ex: Honduras). In Los Ríos, the part where the rich and upper middle class lives is safer than the part where the lower middle class and poor lives. The map gives the imoression that most criminals tend to act close to where they live and most theft is one of opportunity, perhaps to cover a drug addiction and get the money to sustain it. Those that travel great distances to commit a crime are the exception among criminals.

It's held by several sociological studies done in the USA that the crime perception of the upper/upper middle/middle class tends to be exaggerated, mostly because they are highly influenced by the media and certain story's of "someone knows someone that was a victim of crime" or "one of my friends was a victim of crime," but very few are able to say that they were a victim of crime. So one crime is exaggerated as everybody abd their mother knows about, yet it was one crime. Get the point? Perhaps this extrapolates too to the DR.

As can be seen in the map, there are many middle class areas (ex: Los Prados or more dangerous Colinas del Seminario) and some middle/high class areas (ex: La Esperilla) that aren't green (safest), but neither red (unsafest). Other middle/high class areas are not covered (ex: Isabel Villa) though there it's very safe and some poor/lower middle class areas not covered as well (ex: La Puya) which is not among the safest areas though maybe it should not be a red area, but orange.

Last edited:

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Come on now! So Evaristo Moralez, El Millón, Naco, Los Prados, Mirador Norte, Av. Bolivar/ Rómulo Betancourt Av, Avenida Privada, are not included in the safe areas.

JJ

Reactions: rey

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Come on now! So Evaristo Moralez, El Millón, Naco, Los Prados, Mirador Norte, Av. Bolivar/ Rómulo Betancourt Av, Avenida Privada, are not included in the safe areas.

JJ
Los Prados has Los Praditos in the backyard, not the safest place to live close to.

Reactions: bachata

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
How many times are you calling 911, and from all those locations

I run a business, one of us probably calls 911 I would guess once or twice a month. I've called from my home for noise, when I've seen someone knocked down by a car outside, when I saw someone being mugged outside, those kinds of reasons. Much less frequently of course from my home.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I had my sunglasses stolen from my car two days ago - Was parked (unlocked - I know my bad) and someone got in and opened the drop down sunglass compartement - OK they were 11-year old Ray Ban Daddy-Os with polarized glass lenses. Paid $140 back then.
Scratched and beat up but impossible to replace as the new Daddy-O II polarized models are polycarbonate lenses.
They didn't even have the courtesy to close the sunglass compartment - that's how I knew they were swiped.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019

JJ

I must admit I do think that maps' pretty accurate as well, in terms of safety in the home, it's a good guide for someone choosing where to live. My concern is when someone like Rey thinks that if he is in a green area he is safe. You're more likely to have a bag snatch in one of the green areas in my mind as that's where the money is. And the Colonial Zone is very heavily policed on the streets, so you're less likely to have a bag snatch there than anywhere else, but maybe more likely to have a break-in due to its proximity to lovely areas like Guachupita and Gualey.