Home Alone - not without more money

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
There was a recent article on how much the Home Alone budget would have exploded if McCulken was stranded today :
I think he'd be in for a bigger shock in a DR supermarket.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231211_061156_Opera.jpg
    Screenshot_20231211_061156_Opera.jpg
    580.1 KB · Views: 104

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The complaints about food prices in the DR are certainly mounting on Facebook.
Much talk of people no longer visiting for longer terms because of higher rent and food costs.

But is it not the same everywhere? Inflation did not just hit the DR.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
The complaints about food prices in the DR are certainly mounting on Facebook.
Much talk of people no longer visiting for longer terms because of higher rent and food costs.

But is it not the same everywhere? Inflation did not just hit the DR.
I think the main draw for DR was always inexpensive hotels, or villas, and modest food and drink.
Now those costs have ballooned to make it on par with other locations it has lost some of its cheap getaway status.
Of course warm weather and beaches are always a big draw, but if the cost of a vacation is not attractive why not go elsewhere ?

Colombia, which is much more reasonable may fall into the same trap.
And why is a flight to Colombia from Miami just 1/4 of the price of a flight to POP - it makes no sense

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
went to our local Restaurant which we go regularly. New menu prices increased 200 peso on almost every item .

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Remember the lost of business due to "covid"? That hurt BIG time. Those that survived are hanging by their ittybitty fingers...I think (without seeing their books).

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I think the main draw for DR was always inexpensive hotels, or villas, and modest food and drink.
Now those costs have ballooned to make it on par with other locations it has lost some of its cheap getaway status.
Of course warm weather and beaches are always a big draw, but if the cost of a vacation is not attractive why not go elsewhere ?

And why is a flight to Colombia from Miami just 1/4 of the price of a flight to POP - it makes no sense
Colombia was indeed mentioned as the new go to place over the DR.

The very high price of flights is because of the ridiculous taxes and fees the DR charges for flying into and out of the airports here.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
On top of inflation, people were getting less pesos for their money. The gap has narrowed recently but, for a while, I was getting almost 10% less pesos for my dollars on top of the high inflation here.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
And yet record flights this yr..says a lot..
For those going to AI resorts for a week. Which is what is important to revenue.

For those going to rent condos and apartments for the winter months looking for the good old days, another story.

Apples and Oranges.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015

I have been in Colombia for a month now and the prices here are ridiculously cheap (for a foreigner), the locals are getting hit but due to the exchange rate us gringos are loving it. I just furnished a three bedroom apartment and furniture and appliance prices are literally half of what they are in the DR. I filled a shopping cart to the very top full of groceries for the equivilent of $60 US dollars. A twenty minute taxi ride is 3-4 dollars,try doing that in Sosua. The taxi from the airport of all places to my hotel which was not a short ride was $4.usd.A taxi ride across the street from POP airport would cost you $20.,lol. Oh,and more importantly,in most areas here there is ZERO roadside trash,zero. I wish I had the patience to post photos and videos to show how quiet and clean it is here..and you can drink the water out of the tap no problem.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I forgot to mention that my apartment in Sosua went from 400usd a month to 600. My brand new apartment in Colombia,never lived in 3 bedroom two bathroom is $300.usd a month.
I have three friends that have been there recently, one of them is there right now and plans on getting residency and living there, and they all say the same thing - everything is much cheaper in Colombia than in the DR.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I have three friends that have been there recently, one of them is there right now and plans on getting residency and living there, and they all say the same thing - everything is much cheaper in Colombia than in the DR.
I have two friends there as well who say the same as well.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
It's still much cheaper to live here in the DR than anywhere in Canada. I can still get a pizza here for USD$8 which would be CAD$20 in Canada.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
It's still much cheaper to live here in the DR than anywhere in Canada. I can still get a pizza here for USD$8 which would be CAD$20 in Canada.
Idk about Canadian pizza, but 23US for a plain jane large pie in NYC, still delicious and better than anything I've ever tried between north Coast and D'dingo. You must be talking about a personal size. The joint next door charges 750 for a large pepperoni. He's got a decent sauce cheese thing going but crust seems premade. I think pizza is a bad example. Food costs are off the charts compared to just 3 years ago. If you eat rice and beans, plantains, ok still a good deal. Tbh if I ever saw a grain of rice again (unless it was prepared by a sushi chef) it would be too soon. Well, maybe I could do a decent risotto as well.

Jeez, adding my whole point was my food costs for 3 here are basically equivalent to NY/NJ

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I understand this is written from a US and Canadian point of view. For us EU citizens
there are so many more attractive alternatives. Cheaper, cleaner, safer and a better climate.
Las Islas Canarias as an example. Or the Algarve in Portugal.