How About a GOOD Dominican Story ???

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
Many years ago I was in a terrible car accident in the DR. The driver fell asleep and we crashed into a bridge. I woke up in a hospital 12 hours later, without a clue as to what happened. The Doctor explained to me how lucky I was to be alive. He explained that just after the crash along came a Veterinarian who was going home with his family after dinner. The Vet used a crowbar to pry open the mangled doors and get me out. The top of my head had been skinned off and was laying on the back of my neck. I was bleeding to death. He put the top of my head back in place and sowed it up right there on the spot, Vet style. He saved my live. Later, I met him to offer my deepest thanks and confirm the story. He refused any type of payment. True story ! K

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Many years ago I was in a terrible car accident in the DR. The driver fell asleep and we crashed into a bridge. I woke up in a hospital 12 hours later, without a clue as to what happened. The Doctor explained to me how lucky I was to be alive. He explained that just after the crash along came a Veterinarian who was going home with his family after dinner. The Vet used a crowbar to pry open the mangled doors and get me out. The top of my head had been skinned off and was laying on the back of my neck. I was bleeding to death. He put the top of my head back in place and sowed it up right there on the spot, Vet style. He saved my live. Later, I met him to offer my deepest thanks and confirm the story. He refused any type of payment. True story ! K

Wow....just wow!!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
once i was attacked on the street and as i fought my assailant a passing by jeep stopped, a big dominicano got out and started shooting at the guy who was trying to rob me. admittedly he could have shot me through the head but the intentions were good. and despite missing both our heads and the rest of us in general he was able to scare to robber away. even asked me if i needed a ride but i politely declined.

you can file that under: only in DR...

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
once i was attacked on the street and as i fought my assailant a passing by jeep stopped, a big dominicano got out and started shooting at the guy who was trying to rob me. admittedly he could have shot me through the head but the intentions were good. and despite missing both our heads and the rest of us in general he was able to scare to robber away. even asked me if i needed a ride but i politely declined.

you can file that under: only in DR...

Ahhhhh, tu ves.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013

OMG. God bless you brother. Stay Kozy.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"R&B", I TOO got the correct change once!
If you consider "Mentas" as "Correct Change"??????????????????????????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
Thank you for sharing these stories, it makes me feel very proud to be Dominican as I always do. How about having the daycare for free when you have kids and just want to go out and have fun.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010

Great story, and this doesn't take anything away from it, but if the injuries were limited to your scalp, and not internally in your skull, I sincerely doubt you would have bled to death from the scalp wound. I'm glad the vet was there to help you though. I WILL say though, that takes "having a bad hair day" to a whole new level. (I'm taking the liberty to joke about it, since you ended up OK. :)

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
We were 4x4 wheeling in Constanza a few weeks ago. Took the wrong road and were way in over our heads. Along came a 4x4 adventure club from Jarabacoa. Real Pros .Great fantastic people. Helped us out of a real Jam.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
I'm amazed at the amount of decorum exhibited thus far, great job guys, hopefully we could keep this thread going for quite some time. This thread kinda restores faith that the world (and most importantly the DR) isn't as f'up as some people would us believe it is, well to me at least.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Naturally, we all have horror stories..... from all over the world.

In my case , here in RD, the good outweighs the bad..... day in, day out.... but I live in a different part of the country than many here.

As a general statement, I find the locals to be more helpful than harmful...... maybe I'm lucky.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I've posted this story before, at the time it occurred (a year or two ago)

NOT always a rip off

On Saturday, my scheduled taxi ride, (pre-arranged by a highly recommended SUPPOSED reliable source... long story for another thread), did not show up for my ride from Cortecito to PUJ. After waiting for 25 minutes, our time cushion was quickly evaporating, so I had to resort to plan "B", (or maybe plan "D" for Dominican, LOL). Our condo's Conserje had been nervously waiting with us, obviously distressed and worried that our taxi hadn't arrived, making repeated offers to get a ride for us. So when we decided to move to plan "D" and find a different ride; with a look of great relief on his face, he trotted off in the mid day sun (probably out to the taxi stand on the main road), and in 3 minutes was back with a taxi for us.

We had already been quoted by our "reliable source" $40 US for the ride to the airport, and figured this "emergency rescue" mission was gonna' probably cost more than that. Without asking up front, we hop in and off to PUJ we go. OK... So here's the pleasant surprise that confirms that not every Dominican is out to rob you blind at every possible chance.... when I asked the driver how much, (expecting to hear somewhere between 50 and 60 Dollars)... he said $25 Dollars!!!!! After picking my jaw up off the ground, I gave him $30 and Thanked him very much for his help, and asked for his business card. Needless to say, (after having been gouged on two other taxi rides during the week), Sr. Luis will be getting my future business exclusively.

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
Naturally, we all have horror stories..... from all over the world.

In my case , here in RD, the good outweighs the bad..... day in, day out.... but I live in a different part of the country than many here.

As a general statement, I find the locals to be more helpful than harmful...... maybe I'm lucky.

Exactly. Glad you started this thread. I have stories where I want to beat somebodies head in sometimes because they are just an idiot, but I have those stories from all over the world. I don't mind people posting bad experiences about something specific, but there do seem to be a lot of people who just go out of their way to say everyone in the DR is horrible. We need posts like this to show that everyone is not horrible here. The good does outweigh the bad. If anyone didn't feel that way it would be time for them to leave.

I was at a hotel once planning an event. My wallet fell out of my pants and I didn't realize it until a little more than an hour after I had left. I returned back to the hotel hoping I could at least get the wallet back with the ID in it, but suspecting the cash would be gone (about $10,000 pesos). I didn't feel this way just because it was the DR, but heck if I'd lost my wallet in the U.S. the money would probably not be in it when I got back either. So I got back to the hotel and asked the girl at the desk who called over the security guard. He had it and all the money was still in it. I offered him $1,000 pesos (a lot I know, but I had $10,000 on the line) and he refused. He said he was just doing his job.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i posted this story before and was slated that stuff like this happens all the time and why make song and dance about it:

one day a coquero shouts at me from outside the gate. i look at our coconut trees, they are trimmed, no cocos yet. i go to the front of the house to tell the guy to come back in few weeks and he is there with two small coconut trees. he says to me that he always comes to take my our cocos and it is time to bring some for me. he then proceeds to plant them. reassuring ongoing job for his sons :)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Exactly. Glad you started this thread. I have stories where I want to beat somebodies head in sometimes because they are just an idiot, but I have those stories from all over the world. I don't mind people posting bad experiences about something specific, but there do seem to be a lot of people who just go out of their way to say everyone in the DR is horrible. We need posts like this to show that everyone is not horrible here. The good does outweigh the bad. If anyone didn't feel that way it would be time for them to leave.

I was at a hotel once planning an event. My wallet fell out of my pants and I didn't realize it until a little more than an hour after I had left. I returned back to the hotel hoping I could at least get the wallet back with the ID in it, but suspecting the cash would be gone (about $10,000 pesos). I didn't feel this way just because it was the DR, but heck if I'd lost my wallet in the U.S. the money would probably not be in it when I got back either. So I got back to the hotel and asked the girl at the desk who called over the security guard. He had it and all the money was still in it. I offered him $1,000 pesos (a lot I know, but I had $10,000 on the line) and he refused. He said he was just doing his job.

Good one.
A bit off topic, but the same thing happened to my 85 yr old mother in a NYC taxi..... wallet slipped out after paying.

The cabbie hunted her down to give it back..... intact.