How About a GOOD Dominican Story ???

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
On topic........

I was paying at the colmado and put my 500p down in advance.... the customer in front of me paid and walked out.
We looked at the 500 and figured he left it, accidently (everybody was dumb on this one)

I ran the money out to his car - he thanks me

Then.................. we all figure it out..... MY 500 pesos.

No problema they tell me... we'll get it back.

Next day at the colmado, they give me back my $$

What's not to like ??

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
At my fav restaurant I brought over a friend for early dinner...good food, great views of the sea, perfect service; we had a great dinner.. come bill time, it's way below what I expected.

I check the bill and see they've not charged me for the food, just the drinks...

As I politely make mention of this to my waiter, he says there's no mistake... a present for my continous patronage over the years...

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Here is my story,
I spend my time in Sosua and enjoy the main beach the most, except on Sundays. On Sundays I go to the beach in front of Infinity Blue. I get my chair and unbrella from the guys who work at Sosua by the Bay Hotel. They also bring me ice and drinks. Well, I fry on that beach that's why I go to the main beach. So in my haste to get out of the sun I left my Dominican phone on the chair. I didn't realize this untill I sat down for lunch at the Romanoff! I said to myself" well that phone is history, no use in rushing back. Take your time" so I took my time and when I went back the guys were gone. I thought that was odd because it wasn't late in the day. So I went and asked the girl who sells diving classes where the the guys went to. She got his cell phone and called him to see if he had my phone and where he was at. He said he was at the front desk seeing turning the phone in because he couldn't find me.
Needless to say I was more than happy! Then to top it off he didn't want to take a tip. But I insisted!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It pains me to post this, but here goes!
When I was head of security at CEDIMAT hospital, here in SD, one of my Dominican security guards came into my office with a 45 cal. pistol, and a cell phone.
He said he was making his rounds in the parking lot, saw a car with the window down, and saw the gun and phone on the seat.
Value for both, over $2,000 US.
We waited, and soon the owner came by.
He was very happy to get his stuff back.
But not happy enough not to criticize the guard from removing his "stuff", or to give the guard a reward.
My friend asked for me and asked where I was???
My friend described me, and when I came out, the guy gave me my phone.
In the same parking lot, I managed to get the rear end of my van stuck on top of a cement barrier.
About 15 of the "Bag Boys", and others, lifted my van off the barrier and set it down on the pavement!
One thing ALL Dominicans will break their back to do, is, help anyone when they have "Car Trouble"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I tripped on the broken concrete of the apartment complex and fell flat on my face (actually fell flat on my face about five times here in the first years.. something about that extra inch of ceramic that they put in to make the places level). Four neighbors immediately surrounded me. Two of them put in the big 4x4 to take me to the Clinica.. one waited with me while they found the source of the blood in my mouth. Then called my dentist/oral surgeon who was in the building next door. He put me under and sewed up my lip with six stitches. Because I had anesthesia, they wanted someone to walk me home but I live alone and did not have anyone.

So they sent the nurse from their office to walk me the four blocks back to my apartment., holding my hand///

what a comfort

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
Enjoy meeting new people/cultures
A good one. Pops and I and my brother do the tourist thing to Teleferico. We take gua gua from Gaspar to POP - get there, get up the mountain. Dad has NO glasses. Has the case half sticking out of his pocket and they are gone. Prescription, blah blah blah.

Muddle through the day. Next day. I come back from Cabarete - get out of the gua gua to cross the street and the car behind is waving - hola hola.. hombre..

The driver remembers Dad, someone found the glasses and gave them to a driver who knew me to drop them off.

Really? Amazing...but true.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
In general I found that:

1. Things that have to do with personal attention and service can be done very well here in the DR.
2. Things that need to 'run on schedule' according to Western standards and efficiency are done less efficient

I've yet to decide if this is a bad thing..

The revelation was made clear to me on a flight to Istanbul with Turkish Airways.. I was travelling there to meet people, had nothing to do and was watching the movement of the crew while they handed out the food.... and saw the attention they were giving each passenger, there was some back- and forth conversation, a genuine smile ... in short, good personal service... but at the same time the process was much slower than in most European carriers I've flown with...

Although I 'knew' this from numerous management textbooks; then it really struck me; you can't do both - be efficient and give personal service.

In my experience, if they care, Dominicans can give great personal service. They are not so high on the efficiency list..

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
In general I found that:

1. Things that have to do with personal attention and service can be done very well here in the DR.
2. Things that need to 'run on schedule' according to Western standards and efficiency are done less efficient

I've yet to decide if this is a bad thing..
Good observation and I'm not sure it's good or bad. It just "is."

I'd say that things here DO run on schedule: "Dominican Time." Just a different time warp.

I smile when a business person claims to do things "like Americans", i.e., on time with a sense of urgency.

RE: your personal service/efficiency quotient, when someone calls ahd asks about our web design service, I respond with the adopted "You choose. We have Fast, Excellent and Cheap. You get to pick two of the three."

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I had a good experience last night. Was walking around colonial zone and heard live music coming from Casa De teatro. Paid 200 pesos each entrada. Band was very good, playing original rock en espanol tunes. 1 am I ask for bill. 800 pesos. I put 1000 pesos in. I figured I would leave the waiter 100 pesos. He was good but 200 pesos would be 25%, likely on top of 10%. . . lol.

Everyone was paying check at same time as they were closing. I wanted to go out and wait for taxi so said to novia, forget the change, let's go. We were outside maybe 5 minutes waiting for taxi.

The waiter came outside and found us to give us change! My novia almost fell down. Good kid. I took 100 pesos and left him 100. I will request him every trip to that bar and hook him up.

I was there! I was checking out the band...Sociedad Tabu, they will be playing in Cabarete next week with Living Colour!

And the "good" part of the story...when they learned that the event is a benefit for the DREAM Project, they agreed to play for free and help promote the event in SD.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2009
I forgot my cellphone in Acropolis and the clerk who found it, gave it to lost and found. She didn't want to accept a tip as a reward, nor my phone number she said had a novio.
Then going to the elevator to get my car, I tell the guy who waits by the elevator a tall black dude, "you must love you job here?"
He smiles and asks me, porque?
I look behind as say, you work in a nice place and have many beautiful women around.
He stiffens and his eyes widen he explains to me that he is an EVANGELICO and he would never look at a woman like that and proclaims that the Kingdom of heaven is nigh! I look at him in a Jerry Seinfeld way, half smiling, half bewildered by this burst of religious effervescence.
The elevator door doesn't open quickly enough. I step in to an elevator full of people with a Dominican Billy Graham at my back still attempting to save my soul from Beelzebub.
The door closes, I let out a deep breath.
Analyzing it, he was a good Dominican. He told the truth, wasn't a mujeriego and he brought some Jesucrito into my otherwise impious day.

Mar 1, 2009
BRUTO, learn how to READ. He said EVANGELICO NOT EVANGAYLICO.... Your usually so funny "Criss", what happened forgot to take your viejito pills today?
Stop drinking so much, your slippin boricua. What? Got an "agenda"?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This thread might be of interest to Matilda and her "International Living" magazine article.....

Many good reports on RD living

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
This thread might be of interest to Matilda and her "International Living" magazine article.....

Many good reports on RD living

I need permission from people to quote them and their real name and nationality. Please let me know anyone who is happy for that.

Matilda

Franco 66

Aug 1, 2013
Good thread WW I have seen people helping each other out here in DR very much so.In DR it is all real,for the most part.