How many dollars a month can u live in DR!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
While you're at it, don't forget property taxes and assessments (assuming you own that Miami property). Also, you'll need a reserve in the event your tenant terminates their lease, simply leaves, or just doesn't feel like paying any more (it happens more often when the already-absentee landlord is out of the country).

Is your car already in DR? If not, they won't let a car that old into the country, and you may have to purchase a vehicle there (at a 20-40% markup over US prices). If it is (and that's good), the good news is Hondas and Toyotas are the easiest vehicles to get parts for.

I wouldn't go into any business or buy any property for at least a year after I got there. Learn the lay of the land, and then start building your empire. Else, caveat emptor might just bite you in the backside.

It's been said by those more knowledgeable than me: "The easiest way to leave DR with a million dollars is to arrive with two million."

Be careful, and welcome.

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Please dont forget, if you rent your place in the USA, you will have repairs (during and after renting), that takes money. You will also need to consider repairs for the 92 Toyota (maybe tires/battery, both expensive), as well as play money. If you bring a sexy mama with you, great, it will be less expensive than finding one here. To find a sexy mamita in Santiago, is easy, but will take some effort on your part not to spoil her (smile). If she stays with you >2+ months, on the <$800/mo you will be receiving, she must love you. Consider her a keeper, as you will not find many like her. Good luck, the DR can be a wonderful place to live, although sometimes very frustrating...;)

This answer is ALL too true......The hell with the sexy Mama. I just get by on 800 and I own and not rent...I alos eat Dominican..everyday..Rice beans chicken and water to drink not Presidentes....And I live in a cheap to live part of the DR......This place isnt all its cut out to be unless you come here with alot of cash.DO NOT count on working here...When you see what they want to pay you you will be running to the Airport....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
Greeting to all. can someone please give me some information on Bani. I?m going there for a month and would like to know a little about the place. Specifically, I?m staying in Sombrero. I know there?s very little to do there but are there any decent restaurants, places to hear live music, sand beaches, parks, etc. Also is it safe? Are there excessive amount of crimes, thieves, prostitutes... Thanks.
Cocoleka, you aren't likely to get much response here, since this thread is about another topic entirely. Instead you should find the South West Coast forum, click on new thread and post your questions there.

I know nothing about Bani, but here are a couple of not-too-old threads about it:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/south-west-coast/35467-bani.html

http://www.dr1.com/forums/south-west-coast/55436-information-bani.html

Gossette Ortiz

Oct 17, 2007
I think that if you are on your own you could live on $1,000 a month if you want a little extra to hang out more often and spend a little extra i would say 1,500 that would be like 45,000 a month or so.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"EVERYONE" Is SOOOOoo Smart!!!

If you can "answer" such a Question as the "OPs", with so many unknown variables involved,but not given, then answer this; .."If you throw a rock into the air,how long will it stay up,and where will it land??
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
when i visit i always eat dominican as someone said and it does seem cheap to eat. from what i gather, it seems rent may be the biggest problem and the most expensive. what is the avg housing cost ?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My "POST" Is An "Unanswerable" Question, Just Like The "OP's" Original Question!

My "Point",if there actually IS any, is that too many people pose "Unanswerable" questions on DR1!!!!!

The "Devil Is In the DETAILS"!!!

Lets make a list of some of the "Examples"!!!

Where is the best place to live in the DR"(You Like "water",mountains,forests, cities,countryside???)
How much does it cost to buy a car in the DR?(new,used,make,model,???)
How much does it cost to buy a house in the DR?(Where,size,style,materials????)
How much does it cost to rent a house in the DR?(Same as "above")
What are the "Girls" like in the DR?(age,color,size,"Profession"education?)

"Details" Man,Details!!!

Now getting back to my "Rock" question!
The "answer" is: If You Throw a "Rock" into the air,he NEVER comes down!

You see, "Hot Air" rises !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry "Rock"!:cheeky:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
First of all, people who make 150 dollars / month in free zone do not live alone. they live with a family where other members of the same family also produce income. They generally live in a run down area where no one pays electric, water or cable. They steal it all. They usually eat rice beans, yuca, platano and eggs and usually eat one big meal a day. Now-a-days, no one can live alone on 150 dollars / month. You must have outside support or other income.

Now the Op wants to live in sanchez libertad with a car? Good luck. sanchez libertad is a dangerous Barrio in santiago and considered a ghetto. Your car nor your belongings will be safe. You will be lucky if they don't steal your car or vandalize it the very first week of your stay. Better not keep anything of value in the apartment because chances are, you will be robbed when you are away from home.
AZB

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Now getting back to my "Rock" question!
The "answer" is: If You Throw a "Rock" into the air,he NEVER comes down!

You see, "Hot Air" rises !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry "Rock"!:cheeky:
No worries. I'm kool. I can take it.
ani-dancing_penguin.gif

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
Ensanche Libertad

well I have a house in santiago around Sanchez Libertad I won't have to pay rent . Plus I have a little toyota corolla 92 which seems everyone has one down there. Plus I live in miami and want to rent out my place which will give me an income of $800. us dollars a month without working so I should survive down there I'm by myself and want to live there for a year or so. I do have a little money in the bank and was looking to buy a small location put a small business there for the extra income .

I know I cannot live there on $150 US dollars I can spend that on gas in one day!!!. But of coures If i live down there i'd have to adjust and be with one sexy mamita instead of 4-5 lol.
So your are coming around my neck of the wood. I have a nice house in Cerros Don Antonio. Is paid for, I pay electricity, a maid, tuition and transportation for my baby. We have to buy food for 4 adult and a 2 year old. We have been able to last in the the Dr with about 25,000 pesos per month. I n regards to robberies. Donde quiera roban. i assume if you own a home around here you know lots of people. Please send me a private message so i can help out and invite you to lunch when you come down.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I do not think you can live a normal life here on less than $2,500.00 US per Month. We own our house and vehicles. Herewith a rough, my husband says underestimated, list of where the money goes. I am Dominican by the way.

City Water 250
Filters for Purifier 1200
Electricity 8000
Propane 400
Diesel (Generator) 8000
Contingency for Maintenance and
Replacement of Inverter & 16 Batteries 3000
Food inc. Household materials 16000
Pet Food (2 dogs 1 Cat) 1500
Vet. Shampoo, Trim etc. 1500
Petrol 5000
Contingency Maintenance, service, tyres etc. 2000
Car Wash 300
Taxes & Insurance 500
Gardner 6000
Maid 3000
Pool Supplies 2000
Eating out (very rare) 4000
My Allowance 10000
Petrol for Lawn mower 300
Contingency new one every 3 years 300
Prescriptions (Chronic disease} 3000
Contingency for other medical 2000
Telephone 5000
Cellular 1500
Internet 1500
Entertainment at home (Beer,Wine,Spirits} 6000
Legal (Residencia etc.) 200
Clothing (nothing lasts here) 1500
House Maintenance 3000
Evaporation (things I forgot) 5000

Total About 100,000 pesos

Just about $3,000.00 US per month

Some questions: do you buy water filters evey month
If you are paying approx $250 US for electricity, and another 250 for generator equaling $500 per month for electrical - what are you using that is costing so much - 24 hr airconditioning?
10,000 month allowance - for what - hair care...etc
Your lifestyle is your lifestyle but I can personally see where our family wouldn't have a lot of the same expenses, and could easily drop about 25,000 off that.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Some questions: do you buy water filters evey month
If you are paying approx $250 US for electricity, and another 250 for generator equaling $500 per month for electrical - what are you using that is costing so much - 24 hr airconditioning?
10,000 month allowance - for what - hair care...etc
Your lifestyle is your lifestyle but I can personally see where our family wouldn't have a lot of the same expenses, and could easily drop about 25,000 off that.
A 1 bed condo that I rent out to tourists, who only use the AC when they are in, and clearly use less electricity than an average family, still averages me 150 bux per month, so $250 for a house, plus the same for a generator back up, sounds like a good average.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
My thoughts go along the same lines Bob - we don't have a swimming pool so I don't know about purifiers etc, but ELECTRICITY?? Our bill we keep at under 3,600 pesos by keeping it under the 700 Kwh per month.

Change the restaurant - 6 meals equals RD $3,000 max.
Reduce your gardeners pay by RD $1,000 & give it to the maid!
Alcohol is not conducive to living in a hot climate - reduce that to RD $1,500
My lawn mower has lasted me 6 years already & doesn't look in need of any repair - maybe my gardener is a little more careful?
My inverter batteries have lasted years too (4 are 8 years old, 4 are 6 years old & the other 4 are 3 years old)
My clothes last quite well here as I don't let the maid wash them (I actually manage to put it in the washing machine myself & thereby control the amount of powder used!!!!). I might go mad on a mew shirt every 6 months or so from the S/hand shops/non typical clothes shops in town (RD $200 per month!).
When we had THREE dogs (2 were large dogs) their food never exceeded RD $400 per month AND they ate well!!
Our propane lasts us about 5 months (100 lb size) i.e. about RD $200 per month.
Have you tried getting the people you talk to on the telephone to use skype? Using this facility your telephone bill will reduce dramatically. MY bills (for two lines one of which is internet Flash at RD $3,500 approx.) never exceed RD $4,000 per month & I use internet on two computers nearly all day .... EVERY day)

Your contingency fund must be doing extremely well Lindisfarn - time to re-allocate it on something else!:cheeky::ermm:

PLEASE don't take these comments/observations negatively Lindisfarn - like Bob, I am only trying to be helpful with some suggestions (you WERE trying to be helpful weren't you Bob??).!:cheeky: ~ Grahame.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
More Curious than anything. I know that electricity is more expensive, as is fuel in the DR, but if I want to maintain a North American lifestyle I would stay in Canada. I've found that in a well built house in the DR fans are adequate for cooling, especially if you have located the house to take advantage of afternoon breezes plus strategically placed vegetation. Part time Gardener unless the property is huge. Less pamper for the pets, less TV, more music, more local food, not a big drinker, frugal wife, Mother-in-law will not let anyone else in the kitchen or do laundry. Restaurant about twice per month. I could certainly spend 100,000 plus per month but without trying too hard I could whittle down to around 60,000.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Every-ones idea of living decently is different. If your lifestyle has you eating out extensively in good restaurants I believe the DR if far more expensive, the same if you buy quality clothing and footware. I like Dominican food but like to have a good t-bone, prime rib or New York strip once in a while. These are expensive everywhere. Pools are expensive to maintain, but I think worth the price. Pets- I would wash them myself, prune them also, I like to garden but understand someone preferring to pay someone else, especial at the rates for domestic servants in the DR. There is not a maid alive that could satisfy by wife and mother-in-law, so this would not be a cost for me. The 12 hr air conditioning explains the electrical cost- not a criticism - just make sense on why the expensive electrical bill. I don't wear used clothing but it wouldn't bother me, clean, functional, and looks are all important. My Honda lawnmower lasted for 8 years without a repair here in BC and Ontario where I have a reasonably big yards 75 x 150.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
We don't have a swimming pool so I don't know about purifiers etc.

Water purifier is not for the pool it is for drinking and cooking etc.

ELECTRICITY?? Our bill we keep at under 3,600 pesos by keeping it under the 700 Kwh per month.

You don't have a pool. We never run out.

Change the restaurant - 6 meals equals RD $3,000 max.

For 2? I doubt it. We eat at the beach 3 or 4 times a month. Fish is expensive. Otherwise, if we are out at Lunch time we eat at a Dominican roadside cafe.

Reduce your gardeners pay by RD $1,000 & give it to the maid!

How is that a saving? However we are not looking to reduce our lifestyle

Alcohol is not conducive to living in a hot climate - reduce that to RD $1,500

Hope we never get invited to your house.

My lawn mower has lasted me 6 years already & doesn't look in need of any repair - maybe my gardener is a little more careful?

How much grass do you have on your postage stamp?

My inverter batteries have lasted years too (4 are 8 years old, 4 are 6 years old & the other 4 are 3 years old)

If you spend so little on power, you obviously don't use them much.

My clothes last quite well here as I don't let the maid wash them (I actually manage to put it in the washing machine myself & thereby control the amount of powder used!!!!).

Do you wash your clothes everyday? I mean wear once then wash it.

I might go mad on a mew shirt every 6 months or so from the S/hand shops/non typical clothes shops in town (RD $200 per month!).

Never had to buy second hand clothes. Cannot imagine anyone who does.
Horrible thought.

When we had THREE dogs (2 were large dogs) their food never exceeded RD $400 per month AND they ate well!!

What did they die of Malnutrition or Starvation?

Our propane lasts us about 5 months (100 lb size) i.e. about RD $200 per month.

If you feed 2 !/2 Large dogs on less than 20 pesos per day. Heaven knows what you eat.

Have you tried getting the people you talk to on the telephone to use skype? Using this facility your telephone bill will reduce dramatically. MY bills (for two lines one of which is internet Flash at RD $3,500 approx.) never exceed RD $4,000 per month & I use internet on two computers nearly all day .... EVERY day)

Never tried to call local cellular on SKYPE.

Your contingency fund must be doing extremely well Lindisfarn - time to re-allocate it on something else!:cheeky::ermm:

We don't get shocks when the time to use it comes.

PLEASE don't take these comments/observations negatively Lindisfarn - like Bob, I am only trying to be helpful with some suggestions (you WERE trying to be helpful weren't you Bob??).!:cheeky: ~ Grahame.

We did not ask for advice on reducing our lifestyle and we are not complaining. Living decently here is not cheap. Secondhand clothes!!!!!!!!! UGH!!!![/QUOTE]

Says it ALL really, doesn't it. Good luck to you Lindisfarn. ~ Grahame.

Status
Not open for further replies.