How many dollars a month can u live in DR!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Geez..
Even after reading these posts a few times, I'm still having trouble figuring out who's saying what.
How about using the quote feature, so us plebes know who's saying what to whom.

Feb 7, 2007
TO LINDISFARN:
FYI, you started a verbal fight with one of the most respective members of the DR1 (Grahame) and made some nasty remarks.

You are RUDE!!!! You are a spoiled gold digger. I wouldn't want to have you as my wife. I had a money-spending machine at my side for some time, but the costs didn't run that high! O Jeeze spare me...

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
TO LINDISFARN:
FYI, you started a verbal fight with one of the most respective members of the DR1 (Grahame) and made some nasty remarks.

You are RUDE!!!! You are a spoiled gold digger. I wouldn't want to have you as my wife. I had a money-spending machine at my side for some time, but the costs didn't run that high! O Jeeze spare me...

:laugh::laugh: You made me laugh rubio. I expect Grahame will ignore the remarks she made in his customary gentlemanly fashion so as not to encourage her. I always think uncalled for rudeness displays a certain level of ignorance, don't you? Best left to their own...........er..........bubble? ;)

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
[/COLOR]

We did not ask for advice on reducing our lifestyle and we are not complaining. Living decently here is not cheap. Secondhand clothes!!!!!!!!! UGH!!!!

Says it ALL really, doesn't it. Good luck to you Lindisfarn. ~ Grahame.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you BushBaby, it says it ALL.

Life taught me that people who talk about their lifestyle as lindisfarn is talking about are only wishing to have that kind of lifestyle or they have the parvenu attitude. Those people are kind of chopos though (no class, lack of education) nothing aristocratic, about them.

I don't buy secondhand clothes but I don't depreciate, denigrate those that do it and to me buy secondhand clothes is not an horrible thought.

I bet lindisfarn doen't know the price of their lifestyle neither the price of a pan de agua.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org

I don't buy secondhand clothes but I don't depreciate, denigrate those that do it and to me buy secondhand clothes is not an horrible thought.

Sorry La Mariposa my mind was on something else when I wrote that section so I think I had best clear this point up before it gets totally misconstrued. I visit the s/hand AND similar non tourist shops & choose clothing that appeals to my style of dress - clean, tidy, & of GOOD quality. Some of these shops have EXCELLENT designer clothes used once or twice by the 'upper crust' & then discard them for something different - this does NOT mean they are dirty & unclean/soiled by unclean people. SOME of the items I choose are in fact NEW, just excess to requirements &/or 'end of lines'/liquidations.

The point I was trying to make (obviously very badly because even my disclaimer at the end got pooh-poohed) was that having been here a number of years I have found some very interesting & inexpensive places to shop, eat, get service from etc. Those with humility, an open mind & a desire to 'spread the money chain down the line a bit' will always be welcome in out house we will even supply a beer or two :cheeky:! Perhaps one day Lindisfarn may have the good fortune to experience some of the things I have (and AM still experiencing Thank God). Money we have sufficient of, but frugal spending means we have more for others when THEY need it. Further, although our maid & gardener see we have enough to survive on (& a bit more) they don't begrudge us our wealth because we do not WASTE what we have - we use it for good when we see a suitable cause that will help a person or family or charity BLOSSOM as a result of a small helping hand at the right time.

Okay, back to the main thrust of the thread - I am off my 'soap-box' now!! ~ Grahame.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Wouldn't the kind thing to do, be to not berate lindisfarn, but rather introduce her to ladybird, so that they could become new best friends?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
The new poster lindisfarn gave an excellent household budget list to start from. This took a little time to do. Obviously everyone can reduce/increase amounts or drop categories or add categories, but it was a very thorough list to do a household budget from.

It is not very encouraging that a newby gets laughed out of the house. Nothing wrong with saying that someone else's budget seems excessive compared to yours, but their budget is as valid to them, as yours is to you.

Let's pay a little respect here if someone gives us a good list with numbers and not tear apart their lifestyle or their motivation.

It is good that lindisfarn's budget sets aside generous amounts for contingencies. Most budgets don't have that and if things come up, people are caught short.

Thanks for your list lindisfarn. You will find that many posters here are trying to be more frugal. The amounts that you quote, seem very generous.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The new poster lindisfarn gave an excellent household budget list to start from. This took a little time to do. Obviously everyone can reduce/increase amounts or drop categories or add categories, but it was a very thorough list to do a household budget from.

It is not very encouraging that a newby gets laughed out of the house. Nothing wrong with saying that someone else's budget seems excessive compared to yours, but their budget is as valid to them, as yours is to you.

Let's pay a little respect here if someone gives us a good list with numbers and not tear apart their lifestyle or their motivation.

It is good that lindisfarn's budget sets aside generous amounts for contingencies. Most budgets don't have that and if things come up, people are caught short.

Thanks for your list lindisfarn. You will find that many posters here are trying to be more frugal.
Seems fair enough to me.
I couldn't even figure out who said what to whom.
A lot of people complain that newbies are put through the grinder on DR1, so I'm with you, that we should cut her some slack.

SamanaJon

Jun 20, 2007
Too all the boys and girls on the recent remarks on this thread. One's lifestyle is personal and relative. Some have more disposable income than others. The bottomline is, the DR has become an expensive place to live, if one wishes to live like most do in the USA or any other developed nation. I agree with Lindisfarn on that one. It is becoming more expensive every month. Guarina (Club) Crackers are now 39 per package in Jan they were 30 pesos. Queso Gouda Importado is now 160 peso used to be 124 pesos at end of last year. You cannot feed a single large dogs on $400 pesos/mo. Large dogs (80+pounds) eat 2-3 pounds/day min. A bag of locally made dog chow is 800-900 pesos 40-50 pounds (Alican which is not very good/healthy). Now cut the Crap and lets all try to get along. The DR is not inexpensive to live in, if your lifestyle is USA Middle Class Standard or higher. BTW your electric bills will going up 10-20% by end of 2007, I don't care what Leonel has promised you or your sister!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
My shopping bills have gone up from about RD$2,000 to 3,000 per week in the last six months, but hey, now we can buy Arm and Hammer baking soda toothpaste!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Judging from the tone of this thread it is only a matter of time before you get told to buy the cheapest local brand and put the baking soda in yourself. :laugh::laugh:

More seriously, I've seen reports coming through on the newswires from those who monitor such things, that food prices (the 'basket') has increased right across the world between 10 and 20% over the past year.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Judging from the tone of this thread it is only a matter of time before you get told to buy the cheapest local brand and put the baking soda in yourself. :laugh::laugh:

More seriously, I've seen reports coming through on the newswires from those who monitor such things, that food prices (the 'basket') has increased right across the world between 10 and 20% over the past year.
And even though the cost of living has risen substantially throughout the years, I still think it's pretty inexpensive for a Caribbean country.
I don't think that it's any more expensive than my homeland, and there ain't no snow here. ;)

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
And even though the cost of living has risen substantially throughout the years, I still think it's pretty inexpensive for a Caribbean country.
[U]I don't think that it's any more expensive than my homeland, and there ain't no snow here. [/U];)

You are right. I think it cost me more in Montreal than in the D.R. Wine and beef(example) are more expensive in Montreal

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Lindisfarn I hope you don't think I was in attack mode. Thank you for your list of expenses. I've heard eveything from a single person needing $4-5000 per month, down to $200 per month. I have been told my wife is not a typical Dominicana as she doesn't like to spend money, gets her cousin to make clothing for her, won't buy a car...etc, and feeds dogs table scraps.

jafo

Dec 16, 2006
Great thread . Heres my budget .

I have been here in Santiago for 3 years . Family of 3 , Girlfreind , her daughter and I . Just recently started tracking my budget again .
Our car a 97 Chevy Malibu purchase 3 years ago 280000.
Apartment 3 bedroom 2.5 bath its pretty nice . Maids quarters . No maid .
Watchman at nite . Gated parking .

September and October were pretty close to the same.

Rent 14200 with maintanance and watchman at nite.
Auto insuarance full 2583 month 31000 a year
Auto Gasoline 3000 monthly + Maintanance varies . Car wash ect .
Electric 3600 . No inverter . AC at nite 1 rm 8 hours , 2 TVs . big fridge & washer .
Cable 500
Phone with dialup 3800 . I call US alot.
Cell phones 500 for me .
Food 30000-35000 . Including drinking water . WE EAT GOOD . Home cooked meals everyday . This includes hair products make up ect . NOT SALONs .
Private school 3500 with the bus . Instituto Evangelico , On Juan Pablo Duarte
Misc Household repairs , nick nacks 1500 .
Clothing 2 woman and myself 5000 .
Entertainment . 5000 a month . Out to eat 1-2 a month . Occasionaly out for coffie . No alcohol .
Girlfreind allowance 7000 a month . She pays her cell and small house stuff out of this . Including salon . Including pharmacy .
Her daughters allowance .1000 a month .
Me im cheap 1500 month cigars . And gym 1200 .

Total 80983 a month @ 33.30 to US = 2431.92 .

This is on average , not including times when we go out and treat ourselves to extras .
So in my conclusion you can live well for $ 3000 US a month here .

Not responsible for gramatical and or mathmetical errors .

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
You can't live in Montreal for $3,000.00 (even Canadian) per month

Did I say That?? I won't talk about how I live but let me tell you that 3 000$ per month it's 36 000$ per year. A lot and a lot of people don't earn that amount of $$ before taxes.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
this gal with the pool - what's her name? lindisfarn. dead right. my calulations on how to live comfortable in DR always come to 100k pesos a month - which seems to just about right for the house with the pool, 2 cars and animals (we have a cat with 300 pesos a month on food plus vet bills, no idea how much it costs to have a big dog thou).
But second hand clothes - yes and yes, all models buy them - why shouldn't i? mind you, vintage dress may be much more expensive than a new one and is, of course one of a kind.
having said that - life in a small household with two people producing 150 bucks a month is perfectly possible. dominicans who live on that steal electricity, use precious bottled water we gringos almost bathe in only for drinking, they eat cheap salami, platanos, rice, eggs and yuka all the time.
every time we go shopping (once a week) we spend 2-3 thousand pesos (basics like washing and care products included) for the two of us (plus cat) yet i see some folks with carts full to the brim and bill of less than a thousand pesos....
for a gringo - i'd say about 1000 dollars a month is ok but as CCCCCCCC said: it all depends on what lifestyle you want to have.

Feb 7, 2007
If you buy bulk food, you can save on average 30%. Also if you know how, when, where, what etc. you save a lots of money.

If I know a pizza deal is 2x1 on Thursdays, and for my house I need to buy 2, I buy pizza for dinner on Thursdays. You save 300 pesos. In a month - it's 1200 pesos. That doesn't mean that if I have a craving for pizza on Monday I won't buy it - I buy what I have craving for. But knowing when how what when is a way of planning things.

When I lived with my ex and 2 kids, our food bill was about 12,000 per month, and that was mainly in-home cooking, breakfast + 2 meals, and fridge was always full, I am a meat person so it was meat every day.
But I bought meat in a bulk in a market, bought rice, cooking oil, vegetables, and non-perishables in bulk in almacen, etc. This amount also includes some basic cleaning supplies (we buy 50 pounds bags of Ace at 500 pesos, lasts about 6 wks - 2 months), Clorox, Mistolin, etc.

I paid the maid 5000, was live-in, now I pay 3,500 and she comes every other day for half day.

My APT rent was 8,500 and now is 10,000 after August hike.

2,800 codetel with Internet. My cellphone rounds off at 8,000 max, usually 5-6,000 per month, includes international LD. But it's mainly a business expense.

Cable is free (aster) but I also pay a digital cable, 450 per month.

Electricity was about 4,000 per month.

On average I spend about 2,000 weekly on entertainment, and that includes 3x weekly going out, and drinking good whiskey at home. I almost don't drink beer. It's also worth to say that in one place (disco) I don't need to pay because of special arrangements.

I don't run around town in a car, I use my passola instead. I do about 400 kms a month of in-town travel (who would say that for Higuey?) That way I save about 1000 pesos per month on gasoline. Not only it's cheaper, but quicker, and parking is plentyful (personally I hate driving in Higuey because there's so many motorcycles like in China, and you really get by faster on a motorbike/passola than in a car). For out of town travel, I spend about 4,000 monthly on gas/gasoline , when I do weekly runs to Santo Domingo.

When I was with my ex she spent about 10.000 per month, and kids spent another 3,000 including school and supplies and some pocket money.

Let's put another 4,500 for other stuff, including some clothing (mine), small repairs, etc.

It's things like those mentioned (e.g. pizza, gasoline) that make a small individual, but large cumulative difference.

Totalling the above, it WAS about 65,000 per month, that was 2 adults, 2 kids, a dog, and a maid.

TODAY, my expenses run around the same minus (food 8000, ex 10000, kids 3000, maid 1500, electricity 1000) plus additional 1,000 cost health insurance (mine) = 41,500 or about US$1270.
............................................. EDITED: ..................................................
Forgot: Passola and car is fully paid for.
Including car insurance and contingencies for repairs, it's about 5,000 per month additional = US$150

I don't have debts and don't owe any "pagares" on anything.

Looks like this confirms that a sole gringo living quite comfortably needs about 1500 US$ per month, renting

AND I AGREE ONE THING that one of the posters said: Here the money goes and you don't see where.

Last edited:

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I Love This Exchange!!

We don't have a swimming pool so I don't know about purifiers etc.

Water purifier is not for the pool it is for drinking and cooking etc.

ELECTRICITY?? Our bill we keep at under 3,600 pesos by keeping it under the 700 Kwh per month.

You don't have a pool. We never run out.

Change the restaurant - 6 meals equals RD $3,000 max.

For 2? I doubt it. We eat at the beach 3 or 4 times a month. Fish is expensive. Otherwise, if we are out at Lunch time we eat at a Dominican roadside cafe.

Reduce your gardeners pay by RD $1,000 & give it to the maid!

How is that a saving? However we are not looking to reduce our lifestyle

Alcohol is not conducive to living in a hot climate - reduce that to RD $1,500

Hope we never get invited to your house.

My lawn mower has lasted me 6 years already & doesn't look in need of any repair - maybe my gardener is a little more careful?

How much grass do you have on your postage stamp?

My inverter batteries have lasted years too (4 are 8 years old, 4 are 6 years old & the other 4 are 3 years old)

If you spend so little on power, you obviously don't use them much.

My clothes last quite well here as I don't let the maid wash them (I actually manage to put it in the washing machine myself & thereby control the amount of powder used!!!!).

Do you wash your clothes everyday? I mean wear once then wash it.

I might go mad on a mew shirt every 6 months or so from the S/hand shops/non typical clothes shops in town (RD $200 per month!).

Never had to buy second hand clothes. Cannot imagine anyone who does.
Horrible thought.

When we had THREE dogs (2 were large dogs) their food never exceeded RD $400 per month AND they ate well!!

What did they die of Malnutrition or Starvation?

Our propane lasts us about 5 months (100 lb size) i.e. about RD $200 per month.

If you feed 2 !/2 Large dogs on less than 20 pesos per day. Heaven knows what you eat.

Have you tried getting the people you talk to on the telephone to use skype? Using this facility your telephone bill will reduce dramatically. MY bills (for two lines one of which is internet Flash at RD $3,500 approx.) never exceed RD $4,000 per month & I use internet on two computers nearly all day .... EVERY day)

Never tried to call local cellular on SKYPE.

Your contingency fund must be doing extremely well Lindisfarn - time to re-allocate it on something else!:cheeky::ermm:

We don't get shocks when the time to use it comes.

PLEASE don't take these comments/observations negatively Lindisfarn - like Bob, I am only trying to be helpful with some suggestions (you WERE trying to be helpful weren't you Bob??).!:cheeky: ~ Grahame.

We did not ask for advice on reducing our lifestyle and we are not complaining. Living decently here is not cheap. Secondhand clothes!!!!!!!!! UGH!!!![/QUOTE]

This should be an AD for the DR!! Where else could you live soooo large for 2K a month? Really - maid, gardener, pool, vets, --In the States on that money, you are just barely alive. You'd be swamped under real estate taxes and medical insurance and car insurance. (And a cleaning lady even in North Carolina will set you back from $10-$14 an Hour- )

Lindisfarn - thank you for being so open with your budget and sharing with us. and Grahame, yes, you were being cheeky - she was not asking you how to economize - just stating what she considered a reasonable lifestyle. Why should she conserve if she doesn't have to? Bravo!!

Status
Not open for further replies.