How many dollars a month can u live in DR!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Back on track

To establish the average or even minimum monthly budget for a person living in the DR is so very subjective, that it's near impossible to have a consensus.
I once went into the woods with 11 bux, a Coleman stove, a tent and my dog, and didn't come out for 3 months and 10 days.
I was happy, had one of the best times of my life, and certainly did not come out hungry, yet I would prefer to have a $10K/month US budget at this point in my life.
How badly a person wants to live here, is directly proportionate to the amount of financial sacrifices that person is willing to make.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
new thread "3 months and 10 days"

To establish the average or even minimum monthly budget for a person living in the DR is so very subjective, that it's near impossible to have a consensus.
I once went into the woods with 11 bux, a Coleman stove, a tent and my dog, and didn't come out for 3 months and 10 days.
I was happy, had one of the best times of my life, and certainly did not come out hungry, yet I would prefer to have a $10K/month US budget at this point in my life.
QUOTE]

Rocky thats a story I would like to hear.

I think its hard to get a grasp on the amount of money it takes to live in the DR. Way too many variables! In the DR if you know people, especially trustworthy locals, you can buy things cheaper (both goods and sevices). If you are a gringo and dont know people... you pay more.

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
If you buy bulk food, you can save on average 30%. Also if you know how, when, where, what etc. you save a lots of money.

If I know a pizza deal is 2x1 on Thursdays, and for my house I need to buy 2, I buy pizza for dinner on Thursdays. You save 300 pesos. In a month - it's 1200 pesos. That doesn't mean that if I have a craving for pizza on Monday I won't buy it - I buy what I have craving for. But knowing when how what when is a way of planning things.

When I lived with my ex and 2 kids, our food bill was about 12,000 per month, and that was mainly in-home cooking, breakfast + 2 meals, and fridge was always full, I am a meat person so it was meat every day.
But I bought meat in a bulk in a market, bought rice, cooking oil, vegetables, and non-perishables in bulk in almacen, etc. This amount also includes some basic cleaning supplies (we buy 50 pto paounds bags of Ace at 500 pesos, lasts about 6 wks - 2 months), Clorox, Mistolin, etc.

I paid the maid 5000, was live-in, now I pay 3,500 and she comes every other day for half day.

My APT rent was 8,500 and now is 10,000 after August hike.

2,800 codetel with Internet. My cellphone rounds off at 8,000 max, usually 5-6,000 per month, includes international LD. But it's mainly a business expense.

Cable is free (aster) but I also pay a digital cable, 450 per month.

Electricity was about 4,000 per month.

On average I spend about 2,000 weekly on entertainment, and that includes 3x weekly going out, and drinking good whiskey at home. I almost don't drink beer. It's also worth to say that in one place (disco) I don't need to pay because of special arrangements.

I don't run around town in a car, I use my passola instead. I do about 400 kms a month of in-town travel (who would say that for Higuey?) That way I save about 1000 pesos per month on gasoline. Not only it's cheaper, but quicker, and parking is plentyful (personally I hate driving in Higuey because there's so many motorcycles like in China, and you really get by faster on a motorbike/passola than in a car). For out of town travel, I spend about 4,000 monthly on gas/gasoline , when I do weekly runs to Santo Domingo.

When I was with my ex she spent about 10.000 per month, and kids spent another 3,000 including school and supplies and some pocket money.

Let's put another 4,500 for other stuff, including some clothing (mine), small repairs, etc.

It's things like those mentioned (e.g. pizza, gasoline) that make a small individual, but large cumulative difference.

Totalling the above, it WAS about 65,000 per month, that was 2 adults, 2 kids, a dog, and a maid.

TODAY, my expenses run around the same minus (food 8000, ex 10000, kids 3000, maid 1500, electricity 1000) plus additional 1,000 cost health insurance (mine) = 41,500 or about US$1270.
............................................. EDITED: ..................................................
Forgot: Passola and car is fully paid for.
Including car insurance and contingencies for repairs, it's about 5,000 per month additional = US$150

I don't have debts and don't owe any "pagares" on anything.

Looks like this confirms that a sole gringo living quite comfortably needs about 1500 US$ per month, renting

AND I AGREE ONE THING that one of the posters said: Here the money goes and you don't see here.

Hello, all, this thread shows clearly the different meanings of what is needed
for a "comfortable" way of life here in DR. We all have to pay fix costs, how much depends on the consume etc. The other things you cannot
really compare - everybody has his own feeling of what is quality of life and
this is to be respected, from all sides to each. P.e.>I prefer a natural simple
way - altough I could have more "luxory". And BTW I'm pleased to be in
the situation to sponsor kid' for better education.
A question to the salary of the maid, do I understand right that this
3.500 RDS are for four half days a week. I just want to know, while I
pay correct(enough), my muchacha is working once a week for appr.
2 - 3 h'rs, 300 RDS plus transport and plus milk or anything else for
the kids in her household.
wish hopeful sunny sunday sabra

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hello, all, this thread shows clearly the different meanings of what is needed
for a "comfortable" way of life here in DR. We all have to pay fix costs, how much depends on the consume etc. The other things you cannot
really compare - everybody has his own feeling of what is quality of life and
this is to be respected, from all sides to each. P.e.>I prefer a natural simple
way - altough I could have more "luxory". And BTW I'm pleased to be in
the situation to sponsor kid' for better education.
A question to the salary of the maid, do I understand right that this
3.500 RDS are for four half days a week. I just want to know, while I
pay correct(enough), my muchacha is working once a week for appr.
2 - 3 h'rs, 300 RDS plus transport and plus milk or anything else for
the kids in her household.
wish hopeful sunny sunday sabra
Very nice post, and you are paying your muchacha very fair wages.
I expect she is happy with it.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
yes Sabra,
i'm pretty sure she is happy with the once a week job at your household, and getting extra support for her own kiddies out of it.
Mountainannie:
that's a post i completely agree with, Lindisfarn was trying to answer to the OP, which is impossible to answer for too many unknown variables/missing details about expected lifestyle, like CCCCCChris said early on the thread right away.
so Lindisfarn gave an idea of HER lifestyle and the costs for it, i appreciate that she brought it on the thread, there's no reason to offend her for beeing open and post truely her family's expenses, she was the first one on the thread trying to give a real and complete idea of a lifestyle to the OP, thanks to her for that.
i spend myself a 10-12000 pesos a month for gas only for my private car to be around my business where ever needed, so all on the thread who really LIFE here and know local workers, that's much more than an average monthly salary on a job, only for gas.
the island has areas which are more expensive on anything(rent, food aso) and some which are more reasonable priced, you may look for a beach front apparment or villa with a large private pool or maybe you wanna get in the dominican lifestyle of some barrios, renting a wooden hut with the toilet to share with a dozen of neighbours.
i don't know the rates all over the island, i lived just a few months in puerto plata(13 years ago), i have Ranch Property in Bayaguana, and i have family living in a poor barrio in San Pedro de Macorix, while i work and live myself in Punta Cana.
over here on the east coast, for an foreigner as a firsttimer who want's to check out if the island will be the right spot for him to seddle down pemanently(that anyways should be done first, not just 20 visits on a few weeks of vacations), i would recommend to rent at the residence named Pueblo Bavaro(not the only one here, but a good example). 2 bedroom Appartments, fully furnited, run $400.-/month ahead, plus electricity(24/7 here, no inversores needed), to hang out/go shopping aso in PC you drive long ways, it is not a town like Sosua or Puerto Plata where you find the stuff nearby, maybe in walking distance), so a $30.-/week for gas will be a must to operate a own car.
as a newbie from an foreign country who makes his own cooking at home add to the above mentioned expenses for byuing food aso an additional 20%, till you found out where to buy which sort of things for the best rates.
eating off the house (if you don't want to eat at dominican comedores) at restaurants serving international food/seafood aso PC is more expensive than my homecountry Germany.
i spend here monthly:
10-12000 Gas(most i drive for running my business, just private count 1000 a week)
10000 shopping for the household, food, water aso(we rarely eat out of the house)
4000 medicare, insurance for me and wife(Platin Plan of Humano)
4000 cigarettes, i smoke a pack/day myself, wife much less
7000 extras on the road, grab a beer here and there, drink a jugo over there, the stuff you buy off the house when on the street all day long
6000 maintenance of the car, tyres, oil changes, repairs, insurance aso
1000 electricity, 24/7 here, so no planta or inversor maintenance
i only run ven's in the house, freezer, fridge, tv, no AC(makes sick)
7000 rent of non furnited app, it is a cheap rent for that place, owned by a partner of mine, usually 1room+bathroom, no furniture, in a very cheap builded building in a barrio starts at 6000 pesos/month, mine would be a 15000)
600 propane for the kitchen, hard to calculate exactly, i use 3 big tanks, so i refill after a long while, never checked exactly how long a tank really lasts
---no pool, no maid, no gardener----
my wife's allowance isn't limited, she takes what she needs/wants to spend for clothing, hair, meeting friends aso, she's always running a low budget by her own rules, never had to say "stop it".
YES, she is Dominican, from Santiago, she doen't work because i don't want that.
she spends maybe a 5000 pesos a month for own private things(and saves me the money for a 24/7 Maid and Cookie, lol)
round it up on a 60.000.- pesos a month, because there's always something out of the ordinary to buy, a broken ventilator here and there aso.
that's for 2 persons.
i could efford the rent for a fancy beachside appartment or a whole house, but won't do anything too big til i know for sure my business is established in the way i want it to, still doing with the very most of my incoming money investments in my own company.
maybe in an other 2 years we will move to an bigger appartment in the area, maybe one with access to a pool.
the difference?, that would just be a higher rent, we are happy with our lifestyle, we aren't millionaires, but we can pay for anything needed and for anything in case we want it. i spend usually much more money for some birthday/christmas aso presents for neighbour's kiddies/playstation games for employees kiddies aso than for myself. of course we eat sometimes off the house, pay a $300.-(US) for a top dinner for 2 with the best vines available, that's sometimes, we are the kind of persons who enjoy each other's company or the visit of friends for a nice dinner at home over fancy places just to get seen there.
you will never find me at the local disotheuques, if we wanna grab a beer we do so at the next car wash or an other bar right on the street where we can get local company.
with a $2.000.- (US) a couple of expats can live even here on the bit pricy east coast comfortable if doing their own cooking and if they don't need a new Hummer every 6months. i drive a modified Honda Accord '98, never needed more than the normal stuff like tires, oil change, a new front window(hit a nice pothole on the way to otra Banda, you know them 'Rubio', lol), brake pads, spark plugs, once the generator replaced, twice the battery replaced(dam generator fu..the 1st new battery after 1 week), now the aircondition needs a facelift(not urgent because i don't like AC for myself, just when driving with passengers), for that kind of car like also for Honda Civic, Toyota Camry and Toyota Corolla you get any sparepart anywhere in the country, i would not recommend to buy any 'exotic' brand of car until you are willing to pay big $$$for even little spareparts.
the OP not been detailed enough to give him detailed advice for HIS needs, but when it started i liked the idea of listing what we expats live like, what we spend money for, it is a interesting thread showing the very different needs/interests/points of view about "comfortable" aso of the very different foreigners living here since a while, keep it coming.

forgot one point:
residency:
my lawyer takes at the moment 25.000.- pesos for all including the med exam aso, that is the provisional one for 1 year, then the same procedure again for the same price to get the permanent one which has to be renewed every 2 years(there are plans to change that, but at the moment it is still every 2 years).
i renewed the last time november 2006 for 4000.- pesos including my lawyers expenses, didn't have to go to St Dgo aso, just sent the old card to her by Metro and 3 days later received the renewed new one back. this Lady(lawyer) works for me since around 10 years, running all my business related stuff where a 'legal' is needed.
have a great weekend in our caribbean rain
Mike

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Am "More-or-less" On A Par With Lindisfarm

Except I don't pay electric for a pool,and I have kids AND Dogs and Cats,so we are about even there!
(I say the following at my own peril!!! At Supermercado National,you can get "Hueso Rojo Molido" from the butchers for about 8 pesos a pound!!!!!
Your cats and dogs will "attack" you as you leave your car after returning from the market,and "attempt" to carry the "Groung Red Bones" into the house!!!!
At first I thought it would be a good Idea to "cook" the "meal" in oil before serving. They like it MUCH better raw!!! I didn't think the cats would eat it,but they too go "Nuts" when they see it!!
My "Peril" is that the Hueso Molido" is hard to get! I give the guys a 20 peso "Tip" to hide the stuff for me. One guy even hides it in the freezer,to be sure it is availabe,AND that he gets his "Tip"! So if you have dogs and cats,don't go to the Sup. Nat. Arroyo Hondo for "bones"!!) Find your own source!!!
Now,"Where were we?" I spend about 100,000 pesos a month. The 4 kids are by far the biggest expense. If you have no kids,I'd say 50,000 for a "Couple",or a "single" guy. A "Single" woman can always get by on less,as they get taken out to dinner,and "Discos"!:cheeky:UNLESS,they live in "SankyVille"! Then they will need 100s of 1000s of pesos to pay for play!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
If you have no kids,I'd say 50,000 for a "Couple",or a "single" guy.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Yep I'd agree with that, a couple with house & car paid for and who know about things like hueso molido for the dogs...:) Up here on the north coast they also put pork chop rind and fat with it as well as the ends off T-bone steak and charge 12 pesos a pound but it's still terrific value. We mix it raw with the dry dog chow and Bachata loves it almost as much as she likes higado de pollo which I do cook. Similarly, it isn't always available although I, too, have a 'lad' who works in my best interests. Interestingly, at my source it isn't called hueso molido. Must be the regional variation ;) .

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
So, would it be fair to say, based on the various posts here, between 50,000 and 100,000 pesos per month will keep either a couple, or around 6 people like CC, in a comfortable lifestyle. My wife pays her top teachers about 16000 and they make around the same at their second job, so at 30,000 per month they live a Dominican lifestyle with plenty of food, drive either a pasola or older car, and dress their children well. Could we learn somethings on how to budget from them, or is this too big a sacrifice for most of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.