How much money will I need to support myself in the D.R.?

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
just a miscommunication.

gringo in dr said:
It was in the reported right here on the front page just a couple of weeks ago. That it now costs the average middle class dominican family 16,000+ pesos per month to buy the basic foods.

I have a wife, 2 teenagers, and a new born. My grocery bills can be more or less than that depending on if I stick to local items only or decide that I "need" some imported stuff.

I guess we all tend to think in terms of our own situation. With a family of 5, those are your costs, and I can't expect you to know that I'm single. Your costs are less per person when compared to what Lambada pays for 2. I'm hoping to keep it under 5000 for myself.

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
liam1 said:
what's the point in moving to the DR if you're just going to get by? as ricktoronto said: "I cannot imagine an ex-pat living on US$500 a month". neither can i. i'd say at least $1500 USD to get by. (with the current exchange rate)

For all it's worth, I totally agree!

For me, re-location is something you do to improve your lifestyle. Now, if somebody's need for improvement is satisfied by sunshine and beaches, then all is well. For me those things are great for a vacation (even if more than two days on a beach is more than I can take; too boring!). Smiles? I have never been to a country where people didn't smile and were friendly. The friendliest place I have been to was Ireland.

However, this talk about how much you need to "get by" is constantly making me confused. Why move to DR to just "get by"???

An example: My main interest is travel. I calculated that I spend c.14000 US$ per year on that hobby. Now, would a re-location to DR make it less or mroe expensive for me to keep my hobby? This hobby is part of what I call "to live". How much is a flight from DR to, for example, Bali?

By the way, the expression "DR has a laid back lifestyle", is really nothing else than a euphemism for lacking in efficiency, isn't it?

Anyway, there is a huge spectrum of definitions for "get by" and what makes people happy, isn't there?

Oh, for anybody's information, I have visited DR 8 - 10 times or so (I never bothered to keep track). The people I spend time with are solely Dominicans. So, I am not totally new to the place. I have developed a "fingerspitzgefuhl" for it)

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Depends on your lifestyle

I know a Dutchman that lives in the Rio San Juan area, off the main hiway and close to the Campo.
He has been living there for at least 10 years now, he lives by himself and has a two room Dominican style house complete with tin roof and out house.
This Duchman pays RD. $500 Pesos per month rent, has two lightbulbs and a TV. that gets three local stations.( No light bill)
He has a Women a few houses down that cooks him Rice and Beans at 40 Pesos a day.
This set up works well for this man who is somewhat of a hermet.
However his total monthly living cost can't be more then RD.$3000.00 Pesos per month.
This Man is very happy with his lifestyle, he has all the freash Coco's, Mango's
Etc. He just picks for free.
Is this Dutchman way out of it or is he on to something of a more simpler lifestyle?.........Oh and I almost forgot he has a Donkey in his driveway.

Gringo

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
Gringo said:
Is this Dutchman way out of it or is he on to something of a more simpler lifestyle?.........Oh and I almost forgot he has a Donkey in his driveway.

Gringo

This man is of course to be congratulated, since he seems to have found his Shangrila; a lifestyle that he is happy with!

We all have our individual desires and aspirations and it is wonderful when someone manages to find his own place in this world.

However, if I had to live like he does, I 'd go totally nuts in a very short time!
Or more nuts than I already am, depending on definition... Hahaha!

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
who said it first?

liam1 said:
what's the point in moving to the DR if you're just going to get by? as ricktoronto said: "I cannot imagine an ex-pat living on US$500 a month". neither can i. i'd say at least $1500 USD to get by. (with the current exchange rate)

I am posting a reply to Liam1's post here to point out the fact that this post was the first use of the term "get by" in this thread. The OP talked about living "austerely", "in reasonable comfort" and "being able to have some luxuries". Others used the term "do well", and "live comfortably." I understand this is semantics, but on a discussion board, where smiley faces substitute for facial expression and tone of voice, words are really all we have.

The term "get by" clearly has a negative connotation that a person doesn't have all that they want or need, and is thus not going to be happy. I mentioned that I personally am "getting by" in the US. This has nothing to do with money. I'm not rich, but I am able to pay my bills and save well over 50% of my paycheck each month for my upcoming early retirement. I am "getting by", not because I don't have enough money, but because I am not where I want to be.

Several posts followed, all talking about the DR not being a good place to "get by". As I understand the term, there is no such place. Where is the good place to be unhappy?

The topic of the post is "how much money will I need to support myself". Fact is there really is no single answer to the question. Escott "needs" 5k dollars/mth. The Dutchman in Rio San Juan only "needs" RD3500. Others "need" more than that. (I expect I would, but then again, I haven't walked in his shoes.) I have spent some time in Rio San Juan, and I'll say that if I had to live on less than $150 a month, I could sure pick worse places to do it!

I think this board is a great source of information when it is about specific things. When we try to answer questions that are this general, it becomes too much a matter of personal opinion and individual lifestyle. While it may be interesting reading for the person asking, I think it could also be more confusing than informative.

Just to clarify myself. I am not planning to move to the DR to "get by". I am planning on being happy. If I'm not, I expect I'll return here or go elsewhere. I think some of those who are living there now and never seem to have anything good to say about the place may want to reevaluate the good things you have there and/or consider these options. Regardless of your income, you are the ones who are "getting by".

LOL all :classic:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
People who are not happy inside their own skins, probably will not be 'happy' anywhere! There is so much to do here which is self indulgent AND so much needing to be done that is 'useful' that I really don't figure how people have the time for the 'gringo whinge'. I'll tell you one thing, sweetdbt, they don't whinge anywhere near me!! At least not for longer than 30 seconds. ;)

ustelephone

Mar 31, 2004
www.ecoislandadventures.com
sweetdbt said:
I am posting a reply to Liam1's post here to point out the fact that this post was the first use of the term "get by" in this thread. The OP talked about living "austerely", "in reasonable comfort" and "being able to have some luxuries". Others used the term "do well", and "live comfortably." I understand this is semantics, but on a discussion board, where smiley faces substitute for facial expression and tone of voice, words are really all we have.

The term "get by" clearly has a negative connotation that a person doesn't have all that they want or need, and is thus not going to be happy. I mentioned that I personally am "getting by" in the US. This has nothing to do with money. I'm not rich, but I am able to pay my bills and save well over 50% of my paycheck each month for my upcoming early retirement. I am "getting by", not because I don't have enough money, but because I am not where I want to be.

Several posts followed, all talking about the DR not being a good place to "get by". As I understand the term, there is no such place. Where is the good place to be unhappy?

The topic of the post is "how much money will I need to support myself". Fact is there really is no single answer to the question. Escott "needs" 5k dollars/mth. The Dutchman in Rio San Juan only "needs" RD3500. Others "need" more than that. (I expect I would, but then again, I haven't walked in his shoes.) I have spent some time in Rio San Juan, and I'll say that if I had to live on less than $150 a month, I could sure pick worse places to do it!

I think this board is a great source of information when it is about specific things. When we try to answer questions that are this general, it becomes too much a matter of personal opinion and individual lifestyle. While it may be interesting reading for the person asking, I think it could also be more confusing than informative.

Just to clarify myself. I am not planning to move to the DR to "get by". I am planning on being happy. If I'm not, I expect I'll return here or go elsewhere. I think some of those who are living there now and never seem to have anything good to say about the place may want to reevaluate the good things you have there and/or consider these options. Regardless of your income, you are the ones who are "getting by".

LOL all :classic:

Here are some good questions to help us answer you correctly:

What city do you plan on living in
Are you looking to live in an American style home or Dominican
Apartment/House and home many rooms
Air conditioning, if yes how much and how often
What do you spend at the grocery store in the US
How much do you spend eating out in the US
Will you require a housekeeper
Any gambling, drinking, or other vices
Any medicine or medical care you require
Will you be aquiring a car, using public transportation, taxis, or walking
Telephone long distance
Cable TV
Where will you be traveling when you fly back and forth
What else besides surviving do you plan to do here that costs $$$

With these details we can give you close to exact information

Remember, we can only tell you close to exact in pesos. If you are bringing dollars, allow 30-40% above or below.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
ricktoronto said:
And RD$15,000 lets you live in reasonable comfort as a Dominican defines it. I cannot imagine an ex-pat living on US$500 a month.

Rick,

$500 a month? Can you imagine that? Where can anyone live on $500 a month? Perhaps in the campo or as a "backpacker", but not in town! If people are going to give advice, give accurate advice please. $500 a month is way off the mark.

Scottie

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Escott said:
I need 5k US a month to get along. No struggle, go where I want and whenever I want. Plenty for travel as well. Maybe a bit more not that the peso has strengthened but can probably make due.

I don't want to "GET BY". Screw that poor sh1t, I am not Haitian nor do I want to live like one.

Scott

I am sure you have seen this too. 4 backpacker females walked into Rockys and were interested in a room (one room). Marco gave them the price of $15 US a day which includes a nice clean, room, cable TV, hot shower, soap, towell, and real full time electric as well as a secure place. This was one room for all 4 girls!!! You know what these girls said? It was too much money and they stormed out of Rockys pissed off!!!! *sigh* You gotta be kidding me???? Well, I guess there are some people that don't mind living like this. More power to them. I love using Rocky's as a place I can use when I am in town during the day to use for bathroom, showering after the beach and accomodating my drivers when they are in town. Rocky's is a great place, period and it is very inexpensive!!!

I was raised by a single mom way below middle class standards with 4 other brothers. I learned to go without some things that many people take for granted. Now that I am looking at retirement, invested my money and plan on living well. I WILL have my TV, lights, a hot meal and things. To have such things as fulltime electric, telephone, a stove that really cooks food (wow) and TV with cable costs a heck of alot more then $500 a month. The things that I mentioned above is not asking for much but some of these people are living in "la la land". I did not break my back all my life to live in poverty. What do you think?

The "other" scott

Last edited:

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Yikes!!

This thread got me to thinking what my expenses would be if let's say 2 or 3 years from now I pack in in (I'm almost 61 now) and live full time in my apartment in Sosua with my girlfriend and her 2 young children. Here goes:

Monthly maint. fee for condo - 400 (it's 260 now)
basic food - 600 per month
medical and car insurance - 250 per month
2 kids Garden Kids school and summer camp - 350 per month
Clothes (growing kids, pretty novia, nada para mi) - 100 month
help - 100 month
gas - 100 month
tel and internet - 150 month
fun, dvds, burger king, fun city, toys, bar etc - 400 month
Novia's family in SD (I'll pretend I don't know) - 100 month
medicine, school supplies, misc - 500 month
6 trips to NY at 1k per (grandchildren please god, funerals etc) - 500 mo
things i forgot (dentist, glasses, lawers, tips, bribes) - 300

That's 3850, rounded off to 4K per month. Hope my grown children in NY don't need money. Oh, and an occasional new car for myself or special gift. Yikes, I'll need a minimum of 60 K a year to scrape by! - D

ustelephone

Mar 31, 2004
www.ecoislandadventures.com
Danny W said:
This thread got me to thinking what my expenses would be if let's say 2 or 3 years from now I pack in in (I'm almost 61 now) and live full time in my apartment in Sosua with my girlfriend and her 2 young children. Here goes:

help - 100 month
gas - 100 month

That's 3850, rounded off to 4K per month. Hope my grown children in NY don't need money. Oh, and an occasional new car for myself or special gift. Yikes, I'll need a minimum of 60 K a year to scrape by! - D

Reality, finally.

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
Depending on how much driving you plan to do here, like visit the novia's family in SD, you gas budget might be short.

Gas is currently around $3.50 a gallon.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Danny W said:

help - 100 month
gas - 100 month

That is a nice school! You weren't the guy with the dogs in the street the other day were you? I waited for your dogs while they played in front of my jepeta, that was me if it was you.

Anyway, yes these are very realistic amounts. However, the people that live on less then $500 a month live like cave dwellers for crying out loud. I mean come on how can they even be realistic????

Scottie from Caribe Campo!

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Reality

This place is not cheap. I live in Santiago. Modest apartment. There are two of us. I use about $1700 a month now. We have cut back on a lot to maintain that cost. It adds up. The maid left a few months ago. She was a great deal...but had to let her go to keep cost down.

Here is where I splurge...I have internet flash....1900pesos a month....I drive an SUV....about $120 USD per month for gasoline...and we have an A/C which adds an extra 1000pesos to the electric bill per month in the summer.

We cut back on some foods we eat...like seafood from the supermarket...and grapes on a regular basis. You find very few imported foods in our home.

It adds up. There is a rule in business. 'whatever the estimate...double it'. I think you can even triple it in some cases. Probably applies here also.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Not at all...

Gringo said:
I know a Dutchman that lives in the Rio San Juan area, off the main hiway and close to the Campo.
He has been living there for at least 10 years now, he lives by himself and has a two room Dominican style house complete with tin roof and out house.
This Duchman pays RD. $500 Pesos per month rent, has two lightbulbs and a TV. that gets three local stations.( No light bill)
He has a Women a few houses down that cooks him Rice and Beans at 40 Pesos a day.
This set up works well for this man who is somewhat of a hermet.
However his total monthly living cost can't be more then RD.$3000.00 Pesos per month.
This Man is very happy with his lifestyle, he has all the freash Coco's, Mango's
Etc. He just picks for free.

Gringo

Nice post! It seems that this Dutchman found his little piece of paradise. The bottom line is if HE IS HAPPY I AM HAPPY for him!

Scottie

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
DominicanScotty said:
That is a nice school! You weren't the guy with the dogs in the street the other day were you? I waited for your dogs while they played in front of my jepeta, that was me if it was you.

Anyway, yes these are very realistic amounts. However, the people that live on less then $500 a month live like cave dwellers for crying out loud. I mean come on how can they even be realistic????

Scottie from Caribe Campo!

No, that wasn't me. I'm up here slaving away in NY. I'll be down late Dec. to close on my apartment next door to you at Tropimar. - D

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
DominicanScotty said:
Rick,

$500 a month? Can you imagine that? Where can anyone live on $500 a month? Perhaps in the campo or as a "backpacker", but not in town! If people are going to give advice, give accurate advice please. $500 a month is way off the mark.

Scottie

Scottie, perhaps a good remedial reading lesson is in order for you? Read the original post which was not mine, which was suggesting RD$15,000 is adequate, e.g. US$500 a month. I said it was not easy to imagine an ex-pat being able to do that (and that RD$15,000 would be comfortable for "Dominican standards" being it is 4X the minimum wage) . Terribly sorry for using both nouns AND verbs.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Danny W said:
No, that wasn't me. I'm up here slaving away in NY. I'll be down late Dec. to close on my apartment next door to you at Tropimar. - D

Great...leave word with me when you go. I will be back down Dec 7-15, my friend's son is graduating, gotta be there. The GF wouldn't mind seeing me either I guess.

Scottie

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
ricktoronto said:
Scottie, perhaps a good remedial reading lesson is in order for you? Read the original post which was not mine, which was suggesting RD$15,000 is adequate, e.g. US$500 a month. I said it was not easy to imagine an ex-pat being able to do that (and that RD$15,000 would be comfortable for "Dominican standards" being it is 4X the minimum wage) . Terribly sorry for using both nouns AND verbs.

Rick,

I didn't mean to offend and I apologize right here and now if I did. Now was the comment about using nouns and verbs directed at me as an insult???

Scottie

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
This Duchman is one of the nicest people you ever want to meet....

DominicanScotty said:
Nice post! It seems that this Dutchman found his little piece of paradise. The bottom line is if HE IS HAPPY I AM HAPPY for him!

Scottie

I have business in the Playa Grande area so when I pass by his house I make it a point to pick up 3 or 4 pounds of freash fish a few Beers and then stop by and visit with him, the man is about seventy now so he gets a pension from Holland and could live a better lifestyle.
But when I suggest this he tells me he has everythig that he needs and it would make him feel out of place around his Dominican neighbors who accept him as an equal. If he was to change his ways at all they might think different of him and consider him just another rich Gringo!
I have noticed over the past 4 or 5 years that there are other Gringo's in the same area living similer lifestyles....
You see not everyone needs an SUV, internet, 220 Channal Direct TV, Micro, Pool, 6000 Square foot home, 3 HR. commute to work and a $500.000 mortgage that you may pay off in 30 years if you don't Stroke out first.

I envy this man in a lot of ways, However his lifestyle is not for me, I put more gas in my Jeepta then he spends in a month.
But when I'm visiting with him and we are eating the Fish, I think just for a moment what if life was this simple for me?

And when its time to say goodbye he tells me not to worry about him at all because this is his way and he doe's not envy me in the least but feels sorry for me as a friend to another friend.

Gringo

Last edited: