How much money will I need to support myself in the D.R.?

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Gringo said:
I have business in the Playa Grande area so when I pass by his house I make it a point to pick up 3 or 4 pounds of freash fish a few Beers and then stop by and visit with him, the man is about seventy now so he gets a pension from Holland and could live a better lifestyle.
But when I suggest this he tells me he has everythig that he needs and it would make him feel out of place around his Dominican neighbors who accept him as an equal If he was to change his ways at all.
I have noticed over the past 4 or 5 years that there are other Gringo's in the same area living similer lifestyles....
You see not everyone needs an SUV, internet, 220 Channal Direct TV, Micro, Pool, 6000 Square foot home, 3 HR. commute to work and a $500.000 mortgage that you may pay off in 30 years if you don't Stroke out first.

I envy this man in a lot of ways, However his lifestyle is not for me, I put more gas in my Jeepta then he spends in a month.
But when I'm visiting with him and we are eating the Fish, I think just for a moment what if life was this simple for me?

And when its time to say goodbye he tells me not to worry about him at all because this is his way and he doe's not envy me in the least but feels sorry for me as a friend to another friend.

Thanks for sharing that with me. I know many Dominicans that live in the campo and they are the happiest people in the world and most generous too. I love these humble people and it humbles me to the soul.

Scottie

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Gringo said:
I have business in the Playa Grande area so when I pass by his house I make it a point to pick up 3 or 4 pounds of freash fish a few Beers and then stop by and visit with him, the man is about seventy now so he gets a pension from Holland and could live a better lifestyle.
But when I suggest this he tells me he has everythig that he needs and it would make him feel out of place around his Dominican neighbors who accept him as an equal If he was to change his ways at all.
I have noticed over the past 4 or 5 years that there are other Gringo's in the same area living similer lifestyles....
You see not everyone needs an SUV, internet, 220 Channal Direct TV, Micro, Pool, 6000 Square foot home, 3 HR. commute to work and a $500.000 mortgage that you may pay off in 30 years if you don't Stroke out first.

I envy this man in a lot of ways, However his lifestyle is not for me, I put more gas in my Jeepta then he spends in a month.
But when I'm visiting with him and we are eating the Fish, I think just for a moment what if life was this simple for me?

And when its time to say goodbye he tells me not to worry about him at all because this is his way and he doe's not envy me in the least but feels sorry for me as a friend to another friend.

Thanks for sharing that with me. I know many Dominicans that live in the campo and they are the happiest people in the world and most generous too. I love these humble people and it humbles me to the soul.

Scottie

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
DominicanScotty, that is a great point you made. i also know many people that live in conditions that i would say are terriable, but most of them are happier and lead 'healthier' lives than i do, with all my G7 country perks. really makes you think about what's important in life. ;)

Last edited:

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
liam1 said:
DominicanScotty, that is a great point you made. i also know many people that live in conditions that i would say are terriable, but most of them are happier and lead 'healthier' lives than i do, with all my G7 country perks. really makes you think about what's important in life. ;)

I agree.... it is to each his or her own!

FarOut

Jul 26, 2004
I kown all that...

but by point was why they still mention it in the link "living" in DR1?
I'm a german who has been in the country since the last 5 month and I also don't wanrt to just "survice", that's not why i came here in the first place.
(By the way, if anyone would know a decent job for an computer technican pleae PM me)

What I'm sying is DR1 should ajust to the time we livingall in. If some one could live on less then US$ 1000 then he is not enyoing himself, so what is the pont of being here ???

So long,
Stefan

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
It's a shame that one of the more interesting threads on this board recently has been hijacked by such insensitive, personal attacks. I have to say that Paul's earlier remarks about Escott were also far from kind, but to ridicule someone about a medical condition is childish and totally without class!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Timex said:
Way off Topic.

Thanks
Tim H.

Sorry Tim, but I have removed the offending posts and opened the thread.
I'm not going to let a few idiots destroy what is potentially a very good thread.

Escott, keep out of this thread unless you want the "New Thread" or "Post Reply" buttons to disappear until 2005.

Paul Thate, take a vacation from DR1. European style, 2-3 months.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Back on topic...

I have seen people survive here on RD$15,000 and struggle on US$6,000.

Nothing wrong with spending US$4,000 per month, if you can afford it, more power to you. I have one or two friends that easily top RD$200,000 living expenses. At the other end of the scale I know people that get by and bring up a family on RD$6-7,000 per month.

It all depends on your lifestyle and what's important to you.

It might be better if people posted what they expect and how they think they would like to live. Then it would be easier giving advice and pricing based on an "expected" lifestyle.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Aw Geez! I missed the fight! Paul and Scott, behave now OK! And tell us seriously what you spend! If you ask me what we spend, I do not have an idea. I used to keep good track but nowadays we are really busy, so, money goes and money comes and I really don't know. I can go with a 'scottism' - a few thousand dollars will do it, or I can go with a 'paulism', what? how much do you spend? it cannot possibly be true.... ;)

I have noticed that when I go to the supermercado, what used to be a RD$2,000 basket is now an RD3,500 + basket. So, we adjust and I'm on a mission to get the basic basket down to RD$2,000 again. So, we're on local buying and nothing imported - (excepting a few things like feta cheese!). More seriously, if you pay attention, and check out what the locals buy, you'll do well. Fruits and vegetables are still really affordable. Local cheese instead of imported cheese, local yoghurt instead of imported yoghurt - and get creative in the kitchen. But what I do notice if I glance over at some other baskets of groceries, generally the locals buy even more carefully than what we do.

We enjoy what we do and we get on with our businesses. Robert's suggestion as to lifestyle is the right one. As I've mentioned in another thread, a simple meal of grilled chicken in the parking area in front of one of the Ferreterias in Cabarete was the nicest meal I've had lately, and we eat in Cabarete frequently. We were five people having meals of half a grilled chicken with platanos or yuca, good beans and rice and a scary number of Presidente Grandes and the meal came to RD$2,000. This is about US$12.00 per head, booze included - and that crew can drink I tell you!.

So, if you want to come and live in the DR, you need to really know what lifestyle you want to have. If you want a millionaire lifestyle, it is right here and I could spend US20,000 per month if I took some time to do it. Others spend US300 per month and they also take some time to do it. It is not the DR, it is what you want and how you want to live your life.....

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
DominicanScotty said:
Rick,

I didn't mean to offend and I apologize right here and now if I did. Now was the comment about using nouns and verbs directed at me as an insult???

Scottie

No just an observation that I could not have been any clearer, though the cutesy response was based on not reading it at all or at least right.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Robert said:
I have seen people survive here on RD$15,000 and struggle on US$6,000.

Nothing wrong with spending US$4,000 per month, if you can afford it, more power to you. I have one or two friends that easily top RD$200,000 living expenses. At the other end of the scale I know people that get by and bring up a family on RD$6-7,000 per month.

It all depends on your lifestyle and what's important to you.

It might be better if people posted what they expect and how they think they would like to live. Then it would be easier giving advice and pricing based on an "expected" lifestyle.

First of all, thanks Robert for keeping this thread going. I'll start by giving a (hopefully) brief picture of the lifestyle I am looking for.

I'm 52 and single, planning on relocating in 2 years or less. I will be essentially retired, but although I'm tired of the rat-race here, i anticipate getting bored, and may look for some kind of work, but won't be counting on the income to live. I'll be living alone, at least to start. Who knows what may develop as far as a companion, but she would have to be special to get a key to my door.

I will probably want to get my first apartment in PP because I have some expat friends there, and can benefit from their support/guidence. I would like to find a smallish, unfurnished 2BR, 1 bath apartment or casita in a Dominican neighborhood; (not in "gringoville"). Later on, when I feel more confident in Spanish, I may want to move somewhere like Rio San Juan or Nagua.

Furnishings won't need to be fancy (you should see the junk I have now). I'll need a bed, dinette set and a couple of chairs to start, and then hope to find bargains on used furniture to fill in the rest as I go. I'll need to buy a TV, and would like to have cable. I'll probably just go wireless for telephone. I may also need to buy a counter-top propane stove and a small fridge if the apt. isn't equipped with them. I know that many are not.

I'll want some sort of inverter system to have backup power for tv and some lights. if it's not too pricey it would be nice to have a system that will power the fridge and fans as well. Oh yes, I'll need a couple of fans. I will probably not use AC initially.

I will look at buying a small used car, probably a mid to late 90s model Japanese (Toyota corolla if i can find a good deal on one.) minimum required liability insurance only.

I may eat my words (no pun intended) after a few weeks, but honest to god I really like rice beans and chicken. (Platanos are another matter). Fish and pork for some variety. I can do without beef (seldom eat it here). Oh yeah, don't forget Lambi, which I love.

Because I will be needing a total knee joint replacement in a few years, and I want my doc here to do it (the man saved my leg 4 years ago), I'll keep a high-deductible health policy in the US (I've priced it), but may want some basic health insurance there for general purposes.

It would be nice to have someone come in to clean, and possibly do grocery shopping and cook, once or twice a week. Not necessary though

I'd want to go out for some fun 2 or 3 nights a week. I don't touch alcohol here in the US, but have been known to down more than the recommended allottment of Presidentes on vacation. I expect I'll find a level of moderation. I hopefully will find that "someone special", but meantime I don't plan on being celibate. No cost estimates necessary ;)

stig

Oct 4, 2004
Forget about $

Gringo said:
Is this Dutchman way out of it or is he on to something of a more simpler lifestyle?.........Oh and I almost forgot he has a Donkey in his driveway.

Gringo

He is on to something.

Inner strength.

Forget about $

Stig

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
ricktoronto said:
No just an observation that I could not have been any clearer, though the cutesy response was based on not reading it at all or at least right.

Correct..I read into what you wrote and popped off without thinking it out. However my command of the English language is very firm.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
sweetdbt said:
First of all, thanks Robert for keeping this thread going. I'll start by giving a (hopefully) brief picture of the lifestyle I am looking for.

I'm 52 and single, planning on relocating in 2 years or less. I will be essentially retired, but although I'm tired of the rat-race here, i anticipate getting bored, and may look for some kind of work, but won't be counting on the income to live. I'll be living alone, at least to start. Who knows what may develop as far as a companion, but she would have to be special to get a key to my door.

I will probably want to get my first apartment in PP because I have some expat friends there, and can benefit from their support/guidence. I would like to find a smallish, unfurnished 2BR, 1 bath apartment or casita in a Dominican neighborhood; (not in "gringoville"). Later on, when I feel more confident in Spanish, I may want to move somewhere like Rio San Juan or Nagua.

Furnishings won't need to be fancy (you should see the junk I have now). I'll need a bed, dinette set and a couple of chairs to start, and then hope to find bargains on used furniture to fill in the rest as I go. I'll need to buy a TV, and would like to have cable. I'll probably just go wireless for telephone. I may also need to buy a counter-top propane stove and a small fridge if the apt. isn't equipped with them. I know that many are not.

I'll want some sort of inverter system to have backup power for tv and some lights. if it's not too pricey it would be nice to have a system that will power the fridge and fans as well. Oh yes, I'll need a couple of fans. I will probably not use AC initially.

I will look at buying a small used car, probably a mid to late 90s model Japanese (Toyota corolla if i can find a good deal on one.) minimum required liability insurance only.

I may eat my words (no pun intended) after a few weeks, but honest to god I really like rice beans and chicken. (Platanos are another matter). Fish and pork for some variety. I can do without beef (seldom eat it here). Oh yeah, don't forget Lambi, which I love.

Because I will be needing a total knee joint replacement in a few years, and I want my doc here to do it (the man saved my leg 4 years ago), I'll keep a high-deductible health policy in the US (I've priced it), but may want some basic health insurance there for general purposes.

It would be nice to have someone come in to clean, and possibly do grocery shopping and cook, once or twice a week. Not necessary though

I'd want to go out for some fun 2 or 3 nights a week. I don't touch alcohol here in the US, but have been known to down more than the recommended allottment of Presidentes on vacation. I expect I'll find a level of moderation. I hopefully will find that "someone special", but meantime I don't plan on being celibate. No cost estimates necessary ;)

Sounds like a nice plan, and after a 10K investment getting set up, you'll make it easily on 20k a year. What I think is more important is that you are only 52 and who knows what the future holds. I'm a young 60 and my mother is a young 89! So a retirement in the DR might include quite a few surprises caused both internally and externally. I wouln't count on a frugal plan lasting a lifetime. - D

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
thanks for the feedback Danny

Danny W said:
Sounds like a nice plan, and after a 10K investment getting set up, you'll make it easily on 20k a year. What I think is more important is that you are only 52 and who knows what the future holds. I'm a young 60 and my mother is a young 89! So a retirement in the DR might include quite a few surprises caused both internally and externally. I wouln't count on a frugal plan lasting a lifetime. - D

The figure of 10,000 you mentioned for initial investment is right in line with what I was thinking. Even at current exchange rates 20k dollars a year is 50,000RD a month. I would hope I could live a bit more extravigantly for that. I've got some time to research/plan more, but my current thinking is that I can probably do what I want for somewhat less.

I hear what you are saying about how things can change. The income for my initial early retirement at age 54 would be from dollar and peso accounts in the DR and a share in a business venture. Hopefully I will be able to do it without dipping into my principal, but if necessary, I can do so occasionally and cautiously, since I will have another revenue stream from Roth IRA and work pension available at 59 1/2, then Social Security a few years later. If I play my cards right, I should be in a position then to buy/build a nice little house or condo.

I don't plan on acquiring an "instant family", but I suspect you didn't either. Yeah, a lot of things could happen to change my plans, but I've got to start somewhere.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Given the lifestyle you describe, sweetdbt, my guess is you won't spend all of that 50,000 pesos a month, not unless the non-celibacy expenses are really high! ;)
Sounds a good plan to me, too. I can't stress enough the advantages of coming in to the DR looking for a modest lifestyle (in expenditure terms!) & 'working your way up' to a better one later, if you choose to. You are likely to earn far more local community respect that way, have less chance of being taken for a gringo with more money than sense & thus being scammed. And when you do work your way up, the locals will rejoice with you in your good fortune but as you have already earned their respect they won't try the aforementioned tricks. The people who try to import the 'grander' lifestyle of US or Europe are not really living in the DR, they are living in a bit of the US which happens to be situated in the DR. I never saw this as the ideal way of assimilating into the local community..........but after 12 years of trying to explain this, I've given up & now just concentrate on people who have an ok attitude to start with! ;) So if there is any way I can help you, sweetdbt, I'd be happy to, although I know you already have friends here & I'm sure they are advising.

And stig is so right.........that Dutchman sounds like he has achieved true peace of mind & that there is nothing else he needs. Good for him!

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Lambada said:
Given the lifestyle you describe, sweetdbt, my guess is you won't spend all of that 50,000 pesos a month, not unless the non-celibacy expenses are really high! ;)
Sounds a good plan to me, too. I can't stress enough the advantages of coming in to the DR looking for a modest lifestyle (in expenditure terms!) & 'working your way up' to a better one later, if you choose to. You are likely to earn far more local community respect that way, have less chance of being taken for a gringo with more money than sense & thus being scammed. And when you do work your way up, the locals will rejoice with you in your good fortune but as you have already earned their respect they won't try the aforementioned tricks. The people who try to import the 'grander' lifestyle of US or Europe are not really living in the DR, they are living in a bit of the US which happens to be situated in the DR. I never saw this as the ideal way of assimilating into the local community..........but after 12 years of trying to explain this, I've given up & now just concentrate on people who have an ok attitude to start with! ;) So if there is any way I can help you, sweetdbt, I'd be happy to, although I know you already have friends here & I'm sure they are advising.

And stig is so right.........that Dutchman sounds like he has achieved true peace of mind & that there is nothing else he needs. Good for him!

Lambada - You make a very good point about "importing" a lifestyle. In fact we recently had a very painful and costly experience probably because I've done too much too fast. But I have reached a certain point in my life, and I'm not starting over. And the joy of "spoiling" my new family is indescribable. I'm getting the chance to relive my happiest experiences from 30 years ago, and if my sons ever give me grandchildren, I'll do it again. What a life!

I fully understand the joys of the simple life. For me, a day of listening to Beethoven is paradise. I don't need a damn thing. But if someone gives up a profession up north without realizing the possibility of 30 more years of unpredictability, I think that person is taking a chance. - D

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Interesting, Danny W, I never thought of you as someone who had 'imported' a lifestyle. There is plenty of evidence from your posts that you are a person of compassion who cares deeply about the local population & you certainly have put your family on the road to a much better life. The 'importees' I refer to are the people who only notice the Dominicans who are their maids or gardiners, only mix with gringos socially, do not have Dominicans as friends, never bothered to get even a smattering of Spanish...........I could go on, but you get the drift! ;)
I agree with you about the possibility of 30 years of unpredictability.......& for that reason one always needs one's 'emergency fund'. When we were here first, 12 years ago, we worked & lived off Dominican salaries. Not easy but character building!! I was always uneasy when we couldn't afford to have an 'emergency fund' put by........but we coped. Now, of course is very different & because of the job situation it would be impossible to do now what we did then. Plus we were younger then. And our circumstances have changed so that now we are comfortably off, with nice house paid for, cars (less nice!) paid for etc etc. I still won't buy items I consider exorbitant, though, would rather do without.
I've just reread sweetdbt's post & see initial outlay needs to cover a car. I think I would up your 10K on initial outlay, Danny, to 15-20K to cover getting something that won't fall apart straight away, plus the other initial expenses. I'm sure sweetdbt has sufficient Dominican friends to get a good deal on a vehicle........but if he ever needs a mechanic to check possible purchases out, we have one we would recommend. Pay the mechanic a day's wages & he will spend the day working on your behalf under the bonnet etc to make sure the vehicle is reliable. He used to work on Mustangs in Texas so has some English, also.

stig

Oct 4, 2004
Enjoy

FarOut said:
What I'm sying is DR1 should ajust to the time we livingall in. If some one could live on less then US$ 1000 then he is not enyoing himself, so what is the pont of being here ???

So long,
Stefan

Hey Stefan,

To my opnion it's not so important to adjust to the way all are living, I prefer to adjust to my needs and wants.

How do you know people living on less the US$1000 don't enjoy themselves? Looks like the Dutchman, a lot of Dominicans and certainly I am enjoying life, in a more expensive country, on less. Maybe we are enjoying life more then others, I don't know. It is difficult to compare "enjoy"? How do we measure you are more "enjoyed" than me? Probably not so important to measure, not only because it is difficult to do, but also because I choose to enjoy life my way and you choose yours.

The point of being "here" could be:
Nice people, nice climate, cheap land, cheap house, cheap fruit, cheap vegetables.

I live in one of the most expensive countries in the world, Norway, still I can manage what I have said, and I dare say I enjoy life. So why should I consider moving to DR? For some of the reasons I have already mentioned (I want to enjoy life even more), and because I most probably will, together with some friends, develop a retreat center in DR the next years.

Good day to you.

Stig

Last edited: