How much money will I need to support myself in the D.R.?

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Lambada said:
No quenching but add in car repairs & propane gas for cooking.

Thanks Lambada,

Actually, that brings to mind the fact that my little car isn't going to last forever, so I should budget $ for eventual replacement as well. I guess I should double the transportation to RD5000 and add RD500/mth(?) for propane.

New Total: RD32,000/mth

OK everyone, what else did I forget?

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
Gilbert, the crime in the DR is still a joke. This place is like disney world. It is no where near the levels of Costa Rica which is considered the safest country in Central America.

Gil, I can make my living in any country I choose. I'll tell you one thing, you could not pay me enough to move back to the US.

Is the government running this country straight into the toilet? Yes. But it is still far more livable than many other sunny off shore locals. So I'll continue to bitch and moan about the government robbing every one blind. If it gets to the point where I personally can do much better in another local, then I will simply pick up and leave. Just like I did after five years in Costa Rica.

One last thing, for a dominican you sure do seem to hate your country.

stig

Oct 4, 2004
unhappiness

johnsenior said:
But I'm not happy here.

Hey partner,

Use some time finding out why you are not happy. Really go into the unhappiness, be there, take it into your soul, accept the unhappiness. Accept it is a normal part of your life, and then it will probably have less influence on your life.

It has been a good advice given to me, not do any drastic or main decision when in this kind position. Give it a year or two, and visit DR often. Isf the dream still has the same strength - then go.

Divorced Grandpa

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
something to consider

johnsenior said:
That's exactly why my decision is so hard to make. If I knew that I could go out and live in DR, let's say for 6 months to 1 year, then if I did'nt like it or it did'nt work out, come back and get my job back that would be great, but at my age there's no way I could get my 100K job back. Sure I could come back and work as a security guard for $7.00 an hour but then, I would be miserable and coul'nt afford living here.

I know darn well that making the decision to leave for the DR is not a logical one based on the normal standard I have always lived by, thinking that every decision needs to be based on future security. This is what I was brought up in and have lived all by life according to the rules, work, retire and enjoy life with your partner. I have been working for 40 years, was married for 30 years, raised three great kids and now I wake up at 57 after a costly divorce with less than half a pension. Mind you that's fine, she deserves it and I am a law bidding citizen but now I have to face the future. My income is great for my environment and I can do what I what when I am here. But I'm not happy here. When I travel to the DR everything changes. I become another person, enjoying everyday and so sad when the time comes to leave and come back. If I listened to myself I would submit my resignation to-morrow and sell whatever assets I have left and move to the DR with my small pension, not because I think it is that cheap to live there, that's somewhat evident from reading the comments of those who live there, but because I'm happy when I'm there.

I could wait another 8 - 13 years and keep on working (I like my job) but then I would be 65 - 70, probably still very unhappy because of loneliness, and have a much more realistic pension income. If I was playing it safe and did'nt mind the solitude, that would be the solution and I could continue to visit the DR as a tourist. But like many, I need a drastic change and the DR seems to be the solution right now. I'm at a point where I'm listening to Spanish music from the Internet, have devoted a living room wall to photos of the DR and dream, think and talk about it all the time. Maybe I'm just getting senile and ridiculous but I don't think I have ever wanted anything so much in my life. But then reality hits home, the reduced income and can I afford the DR?

Sorry about the long winded message but I needed to vent.

By the way I thank all those who have so graciously provided input to my original post, positive or negative, as I read them very attentively in the hope of being influenced one way or another.

johnsenior,

Because the interest rates on bank accounts in the US/Canada are so low right now, we may not even consider these as potential income. In the DR, peso accounts pay 18% and up. At 18%, each $10,000 (in pesos) generates a monthly income of $150 (in pesos). At 24% it is 200. These are not extraordinary rates, they are the norm. Of course, I don't know your situation, other than what you said about your pension. However, it's easy to see that it wouldn't take a huge amount of $ to suppliment your pension income and put you in a more comfortable situation.

If you don't have "liquid assets" now, why not "downsize", and live below your means for a while. Consider maximizing income with a second part-time job. I believe you described your current life as "work, sleep, work" anyway. Set a goal and save like crazy. Bring some cash down on your next vacation and set up an account in the DR to get a head start on taking advantage of the interest rates. In doing this myself, I've been pleasantly surprised at how fast my savings have grown. In my case, since my pension is a few years off, I need to accumulate enough to live on for a few years. Not there yet, but I'm workin on it!

Best wishes

MoReNiTa GuApA

Oct 8, 2004
WHAT! kinds of jobs pay $50 000 RD a month

ustelephone said:
One could survive living in a hole in a barrio and eating rice and beans for $15,000 pesos per month. If you want an apartment, furnature, a phone, electricity, and a reasonable menu for the month you should be making at least $50,000 pesos per month. If you want to buy a plane ticket (a destination would help us give you a realistic price) you should have an extra $10,000 to $30,000 pesos per month. If you are saying that you want to live here with some comfort and be able to travel to the US monthly you should have an income of $3,000 to $4,000 USD per month. You will not be able to achieve your goal with less than this with the current value of the dollar.

What kinds of jobs pay $50 000 RD a month in the DR?

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
somebody's gotta say it!

MoReNiTa GuApA said:
What kinds of jobs pay $50 000 RD a month in the DR?

I suspect you might not consider it a "job" but..............

In a good month, during high tourist season, a really popular hooker at one of the flashy tourist-trap houses might pull that down. ;)

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Gilbert Arena's post

I think Gilbert Arena's post was excellent - accurate, informed and articulate. However, it could also be described as a "glass half empty" opinion, which does not at all make it invalid. Continuing with the cliches, there is also the"grass is always greener" mentality which makes us gringos long for the life of paradise we see while we're on vacation. I have been victimized in the DR and my life has also been enriched. Bottom line for me is eyes wide open and don't quit my day job... yet. - D

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Yes it IS very different from 12 years ago, or even 14 years ago when I first visited. I still wouldn't leave, though. My partner & I discussed what would make us leave, this was last February, when we thought Hippo was going to steal the election, or do something like Bush's first term. We concluded that if Hippo had another 4 years, the DR would go the way of Haiti, structurally, (that isn't an insult to Haitians, so please don't misread me) & the inevitable result would be that it would become unsafe to go to the shops for food etc.That would have been our point for leaving........when it became physically unsafe to stay. Now, it feels very different to me, much more on the up, despite the problems & there are huge ones.

I agree with stig, johnsenior, if you are in a low frame of mind, don't make a decision. But I don't get the impression you're in a low frame of mind, more that something is missing. And you find that something when you're here. I can relate to that. That's why I wouldn't leave.

And sweetdbt, add in another 5000 a month for the 'unexpected'.......being the DR the unexpected tends to happen. If you don't use it, it goes towards your airfare savings.

Finally, snuffy, I didn't mean to offend using the term 'stupid foreigner'. I don't see it as stupid that you're trying to help people, I do too, & I'm not going to admit to being stupid, now, am I? All I meant is that my 'giving' is an action over which I have control, whereas others 'taking' is an action over which I wouldn't have any say. And, let's face it, if people give out vibes that they are a bit wet behind the ears, they will get scammed. That is not peculiarly Dominican.
Sorry to lump everyone in one post, the thread obviously got active while I was away. Good thing though....sweetdbt wouldn't have wanted a dialogue or even trialogue! ;)

GilbertArenas

Mar 15, 2004
gringo in dr said:
Gilbert, the crime in the DR is still a joke. This place is like disney world. It is no where near the levels of Costa Rica which is considered the safest country in Central America.

Gil, I can make my living in any country I choose. I'll tell you one thing, you could not pay me enough to move back to the US.

Is the government running this country straight into the toilet? Yes. But it is still far more livable than many other sunny off shore locals. So I'll continue to bitch and moan about the government robbing every one blind. If it gets to the point where I personally can do much better in another local, then I will simply pick up and leave. Just like I did after five years in Costa Rica.

One last thing, for a dominican you sure do seem to hate your country.

I hate the government and the corruption, I love the people. Talk to a lot of the Democrats in the USA right now and you'll find the same attitude. I guess Michael Moore hates the USA then?

Doesn't mean you hate your country, it means you long for a time when things are better.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
All is well...

Lambada said:
Yes it IS very different from 12 years ago, or even 14 years ago when I first visited. I still wouldn't leave, though. My partner & I discussed what would make us leave, this was last February, when we thought Hippo was going to steal the election, or do something like Bush's first term. We concluded that if Hippo had another 4 years, the DR would go the way of Haiti, structurally, (that isn't an insult to Haitians, so please don't misread me) & the inevitable result would be that it would become unsafe to go to the shops for food etc.That would have been our point for leaving........when it became physically unsafe to stay. Now, it feels very different to me, much more on the up, despite the problems & there are huge ones.

I agree with stig, johnsenior, if you are in a low frame of mind, don't make a decision. But I don't get the impression you're in a low frame of mind, more that something is missing. And you find that something when you're here. I can relate to that. That's why I wouldn't leave.

And sweetdbt, add in another 5000 a month for the 'unexpected'.......being the DR the unexpected tends to happen. If you don't use it, it goes towards your airfare savings.

Finally, snuffy, I didn't mean to offend using the term 'stupid foreigner'. I don't see it as stupid that you're trying to help people, I do too, & I'm not going to admit to being stupid, now, am I? All I meant is that my 'giving' is an action over which I have control, whereas others 'taking' is an action over which I wouldn't have any say. And, let's face it, if people give out vibes that they are a bit wet behind the ears, they will get scammed. That is not peculiarly Dominican.
Sorry to lump everyone in one post, the thread obviously got active while I was away. Good thing though....sweetdbt wouldn't have wanted a dialogue or even trialogue! ;)

Lambada....I was just in a 'low frame of mind' when I responded. I'm okay.

I tend to see things more as Gilbert sees them. Although perhaps I have become a little more positive as I have acclimated to this place. I was looking at some of my old postings and I was terribly negative back then. But for the most part I still see things the same way. I'm not as sour. It is just that now I know what to expect and I deal with it differently now. I think I have become more street smart and that has helped me.

I also think that ones perspective has a lot to do with MONEY. If you come here with a nice nest egg and you feel secure and you can spend within a budget but you are okay if you go over that budget then you tend to have a more positive outlook. On the other hand, if you come here with a small nest egg, a small income, and when you go over budget you really feel it...then you can certainly see things differently.

This place is not cheap. Things come up. You have a small budget then there is a big chance you will go over sometimes. It takes a lot of money to get set up and to get past the initial inertia to understanding this place and how to live here. We live modestly, I have an okay income, and I feel the pinch right now with the dollar at 29 to 1.

Diapers Pequenin #3s...13 pesos per diaper...that is 45 cents per diaper.
Small jar of vaseline....130 pesos. That is $4.50.
just a couple items I purchased recently. Some things you just have to have and they know it.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
GilbertArenas said:
I hate the government and the corruption, I love the people. Talk to a lot of the Democrats in the USA right now and you'll find the same attitude. I guess Michael Moore hates the USA then?

Doesn't mean you hate your country, it means you long for a time when things are better.
Gilbert - If you compare yourself to Michael Moore, I take back my comment about the accuracy of your post! - D