I like the DR because??? I miss this from my home country?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
*Miss: American football live. Jimmy Dean Sausage.

*Don't miss: Big Brother, rabid consumerism, b!tching about life's non-essentials, TV

*Like about the DR: the emphasis on family, the respect for elders, the celebration of a newborn, the laughter of children, how everyong seems to be your Primo. Pork. Mangos on the trees. Nothing gets thrown away, it gets repaired and used some more.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Go home then, no one is forcing you to stay.....

You are correct. No one is forcing me to stay. I made the choice to stay in the DR so I can be with my same-sex partner who is not a U.S. citizen. Unlike heterosexual couples, I'm not even granted the option of sponsoring my spouse for immigration. I would love to go home... I find living in developing countries rather depressing (I've lived in 3 of them).

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
You are correct. No one is forcing me to stay. I made the choice to stay in the DR so I can be with my same-sex partner who is not a U.S. citizen. Unlike heterosexual couples, I'm not even granted the option of sponsoring my spouse for immigration. I would love to go home... I find living in developing countries rather depressing (I've lived in 3 of them).
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/byOzCJauEbw&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/byOzCJauEbw&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
america is very behind the times on this issue

these countries all allow same sex partners to apply for immigration
Australia
Belgium
Brazil
Canada
Denmark
Czech Republic
Denmark
Finland
France
Germany
Iceland
Israel
Netherlands
New Zealand
Norway
South Africa
Spain
Sweden
United Kingdom

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Like about DR: The ability to live in the present without thinking of the stresses I had back home...you sort of forget the rest of the world exists when in the DR.

Miss: The change of seasons/cooler weather (don't get me wrong - I LOVE the weather in the DR but sometimes and at certain times of year it can be overwhelming).

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I like DR because of the weather (includes beaches, rivers etc)

(when I am in the DR for a long period of 3 weeks) I miss the organized traffic of NY (organized in comparison to the madness of the DR when it comes to driving)

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
I like the more relaxed vibe I feel when I am in the D.R.

I miss Yorkshire Tea, Draught Guinness and urinating on JR's steps....

Pedro, Draught Guinness I try to enjoy at Beer House on Tiradentes, SD when I can!! Its the bottled one but with the widget. Yorkshire tea I rely on britishdelights.com as I do for many other items while I'm here!!

I love it here because I have the best job in the world.

I miss Heinz baked beans, crumpets and Ribena!

Carrefour has their own version of Beena, tastes exactly the same.

Heinz baked beans have arrived in the Capital - I buy them at La Cadena. Funny that you mentioned them since I do not remember loving them at home but when I saw them in the supermercado, I bought four cans and gobbled them up -- Anyway - do not know where you are but know that the beans are in the country at least . What is Ribena? You must be a Brit since we Yanks do not have "crumpets"--

I even went out to La Cadena especially on the weekend in search of the elusive Heinz beans for my breakfast... I was disappointed not to find them :-( Which La Cadena do you go to mountainannie? I went on Nu?es and Los Proceres and no luck...

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I even went out to La Cadena especially on the weekend in search of the elusive Heinz beans for my breakfast... I was disappointed not to find them :-( Which La Cadena do you go to mountainannie? I went on Nu?es and Los Proceres and no luck...

PriceSmart also sells them in packages of 8 quantity......
They are great with fried eggs and potatoes...

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004

Love the country, the people, and the climate,

Now if I could just find some decent Hash Brown, and Chicken Fried Steak. Got to feed the Red Neck in me

Reactions: Bronxboy

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Draught beer on tap.

For the insomnia nights--extra strength nytol-dont want the strong addictive prescription stuff.

Good Thai and East Indian food.

Good affordable sushi.

Reactions: Bronxboy

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
Still hunting the beans

Another failed attempt at Pricemart. Anyone else got any ideas on finding Heinz baked beans?!

I got quite excited about the prospect and I'm now all disappointed, like the day I found HP sauce in Supermercados Nacional, and then it never came back again after I bought the first....

palm princess

Oct 14, 2009
I can sum it up in one word:

Culture

Canada is devoid of culture because of multi-culturalism. We have no one culture :(