I want to Move To the D.R. Very Much but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Just come here...visit a few weeks. Ask your questions when your here. See whats available. Check out the country. Dominicans abraod and Dominicans here are different.
Just use some of that savings you have and come jhere and check it out.
I can tell you a hostile or a cheep hotel here in the capital if you want.
Try the Dominican flavor and see if it tastes good to you before you do anything.
This country is wonderful. Not easy. Espacially if you don't speak spanish. Trust me..I know. I've been here for 1 year and almost 8 months and its not easy but I still love it.
Go tomorrow and get a ticket. Come here and see. Then alot of the questions you have you can answer all by yourself.
I'll show you what I know in Zona Colonial area. And from there your on your own to love of hate the place.
Think a little before you leave all in USA to come here to live.

SamoraMachel

Jun 1, 2003
Just adding my two pesos which will be less than 2 cents before long...

I don't mean to keep budding into this lively debate, but I thought that I would add that physical "diversity" and culture are two different things. Also, second and third hand accounts of the Dominican Republic from Dominicans living in Miami is not the same as actually living there and experiencing it for yourself. Just as meatie as the issue of race, is the issue of socio-economic status in the DR.

Also, referring back to the Peace Corps, assuming that you seriously do have an interest in applying. Even if you request to be placed in the Dominican Republic there is no guarantee that there is a position available there for you. Also, I would hope that you had an education and something to bring to the table as opposed to being in search of an escape.

You seem very combative. Why not just make a reservation on Aeromar, Air Santiago, or even American Airlines for that matter and take a brief trip to the DR to feel it out before you decide to uproot yourself.

Just sharing some words of wisdom from one mid-life, mid-lifer (twenty five year old) to another.

Sammie

SamoraMachel

Jun 1, 2003
Re: Just adding my two pesos which will be less than 2 cents before long...

You seem very combative. Why not just make a reservation on Aeromar, Air Santiago, or even American Airlines for that matter and take a brief trip to the DR to feel it out before you decide to uproot yourself.

Sammie [/B][/QUOTE]

*Air Santo Domingo

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Re: jazzCom

naitsirch79 said:
Go to hell and please don't post in my forum. LOOK AT THE CIA WEB SITE it says 70 percent mixed 11 percent african and 9 percent white.

Also, I have Dominican Friends that LIVE here in MIAMI. They are authentic real live Domincans. HUH imagine that.

What credibility you might have had, you just lost.

Some people just don't get it...

naitsirch79

Hanging by a thread...
Jun 17, 2003
If you don't have something nice to say then...

Don't say it at all. Lets get straight Roberto, I don't care what credibility I have had with you, will have with you, or should have with you. I am me and you are you; thank god for that.

I don't have a problem with people but it seems some of you are totally missing the point and taking the, don't say anything until you've been there, READ everything on this site, I am rich and I am retiring soon so I know more than you. Blah blah blah. I simply believe this is a beatiful country with people that i have grown to love here in the States and have thoughts and wishes to learn more about actually living there.

Think about it for a moment, I could go there and everything be right as rain and want to live there for the rest of my life. I could go there eat something terrible and never want to come back. HMMMM, I have been to tropical islands, I have seen Latin people, me being apart of it. Some of you give well and thought out suggestions, some of you are taking shots.

MY rude and snide comments are for Canadians that think they know it all and poeple who can't read.

I Thank an welcome the rest of you who know about DR, can give me a suggestion on what could be a realistic oppertunity in the DR for my situation, I.E. the peace corps.

HMMMM now what will they say????:confused: :confused:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Re: If you don't have something nice to say then...

naitsirch79 said:
Don't say it at all. Lets get straight Roberto, I don't care what credibility I have had with you, will have with you, or should have with you. I am me and you are you; thank god for that.

I don't have a problem with people but it seems some of you are totally missing the point and taking the, don't say anything until you've been there, READ everything on this site, I am rich and I am retiring soon so I know more than you. Blah blah blah. I simply believe this is a beatiful country with people that i have grown to love here in the States and have thoughts and wishes to learn more about actually living there.

Think about it for a moment, I could go there and everything be right as rain and want to live there for the rest of my life. I could go there eat something terrible and never want to come back. HMMMM, I have been to tropical islands, I have seen Latin people, me being apart of it. Some of you give well and thought out suggestions, some of you are taking shots.

MY rude and snide comments are for Canadians that think they know it all and poeple who can't read.

I Thank an welcome the rest of you who know about DR, can give me a suggestion on what could be a realistic oppertunity in the DR for my situation, I.E. the peace corps.

HMMMM now what will they say????:confused: :confused:
hmmm... I got it. You are a horses ass! Have a great day!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
I Polled the Canadians and...........

naitsirch79 said:

100 % agree: You are a total loser. I was going to say a moron but the Moron Defence League said not to defame them by including you.

The invite to visit and call the 28th-6th is withdrawn.

I think the Peace Corps would reject you since they'd worry that you'd fall into a well or something like that. Yelling for help in English, to no avail.

You realize Robert owns the site and the board so he does have a bit of editorial control don't you?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The problem is that your asking questions that have been answered many times on this board.

One more time. Read the site and the archives then come back with some knowledge...

santobonao

Bronze
Jun 3, 2003
www.telemundo.com
la republica dominicana es uno de los mejores paises en latino america. pero la vida en dominicana no es facil. para vivir aqui la gente necessita dinero y tener un buen negocio.

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Re: If you don't have something nice to say then...

naitsirch79 said:

If you really think you could be happy in the DR, why the hesitation? go as soon as you can. As you pointed out, your young, single, what the heck, go and have fun!

Arve

Oct 13, 2002
*Sigh*... so much hostility. Why waste energy in arguing over
the net, I wonder.

Naitsirch79, not taking any side in this, but most of the comments you've been given here should have been helpful,
even the negative ones.

Pick up the advice you get or throw it away, responsability is
yours in any case.

I'm not Dominican but I'm your age and I've at least entertained
similar dreams. I still do, but if I want to go over there I don't
really want to work as I don't rate my chances there. Study is
also tricky for a number of reasons ( though consider it, search
the archive for info ), so it'll have to wait until my retirement.
As it is, with my luck, it looks as if I'll actually have to start
working first. :( It can be done, and I know I'll succeed if
I decide to go for it. ( I have stayed there for a year all in all
though, and I'm poor here and would be dirt poor there. )

Learn Spanish first, or go there to learn Spanish in a year or
so and see if you like it. Getting a proper job would be VERY
hard, but I know of people there who run their business over
the internet from their swimming pool so..

As it is, people here have a point when telling you it'll be very
difficult. Furthermore, now might not be the time to move down.
Having said that, there's only one way to find out and you'll
probably have fun and learn a lot while doing so. I never follow
sensible advice myself, so go for it if you can, but don't sue me
when/if you fail. Good luck.

richard

Jan 1, 2002
I Want to move

Of course it would be very difficult for you but life is for living and some adventure. Most people I know who ever moved to the DR stay a year or two and then return home. Good jobs are few and far between but it can be done, it takes perseverence but unless you try something you will never know. A friend once said there are explorers and there are settlers. So many imigrants over the years have immigrated to the States and Canada without language skills or job prospects; if they hadn't done so neither country would be prosperous. If you have a year or so to experiment why not go for it? Nothing ventured nothing gained!:cool:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
The Guy Has no Spanish

santobonao said:
la republica dominicana es uno de los mejores paises en latino america. pero la vida en dominicana no es facil. para vivir aqui la gente necessita dinero y tener un buen negocio.

So now you post a mesage to him in a language he cannot understand. Why do you have to be so difficult, Samana1? Oops, Santobono?

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Re: Thank you, real answers

naitsirch79 said:
To the person who said join the peace corps, thank you.

I really like that idea and it seems to have a lot of what I am looking for. Do you have more information about that.

You seemsmart enough to find the info on your own, but from your responses I've read you probably wouldn't last in the PC, there website is www.peacecorps.gov (that was hard wasn't it?)

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
enough of this

Naitsirch:
1)Study the archives and sit back and lurk

2)Buy a plane ticket and go to the DR for a vacation

3)Come back and tell us what you think then

Larry

naitsirch79

Hanging by a thread...
Jun 17, 2003
Gracias Mucho Santanobo

The person said:

the Dominican republica is one of best places in Latin america. but the life in Dominican is not easy. in order to live here it is neccessary to have money and to have a good business.

I know more than you think ignoramace, and don't be mad because your canadian. LOL, I would be wanting to leave there badly too.

LOOK guys I learned a lot I really did so don't be so harsh like someof you have been.

arguing over the internet is like the special olympics. No matter who wins, YOUR still retarded. Rember that and you will get further in life. I am not a combative person but I will defend myself. Again thank you all for the ones who have helped and even the ones who were meanies, sometimes you need both parts to take it all into perspective. Again thanks and godspeed. I think I am ready for some adventure and I believe that I will do well there, I have a strong realationship with god and he has always taken care of me. My goal is to learn spanish and be with a culture that I love and respect. I would love to go to cuba but like I said it isn't so free these days.

Thanks and this convo is done. PEACE TO EVERYONE> LMAO

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I'm a fairly infrequent poster here, so take these comments for what they're worth. But I think some of the posts in this thread have been a little unfair.

We have a guy who is sharing his dream of moving to another country. I believe nobody should step on another person's dreams, no matter how misguided those dreams are.

Yes, we've seen these kinds of posts a thousand times before. Perhaps there could be a fool-proof process on signing up for DR1 so that these questions are already answered? I know there is the sticky messages, perhaps they can receive an email FAQ or something similar they receive, including "questions not to be asked on DR1"?

I really like the spirit of webmasterworld, a search engine discussion board. Anytime a new member joins and asks a dumb question, they're always told "welcome to webmasterworld, <nickname>", and the question is answered. It gives everyone a positive start. They recognize that the new webmasters joining today will be the leading webmasters a year or two from now. Similarly, every new visitor here who asks a dumb question today may become one of the long term contributing members down the road.

I also understand how he can hang out with Dominicans in Miami, and like them. The same happened for me several years ago with Colombians, and I ended up living in Colombia for almost a year as a result.

Now, he's got no clue about what is in front of him when he gets here. There's definitely a rude awakening ahead, and he'll need to have both money and his wits about him to get through it. Robert is 100% on the money when he talks about salaries here, and its particularly tough to get jobs with the current state of the economy.

But I just don't think we should shoot down someone's dreams. Instead of how he CAN'T make it work, how about how CAN he make it work?

To that end, my suggestion would be in line with what Ken mentioned, about making a living online. If he can steer himself towards stock & financial management opportunities online while in the USA, he'll easily be able to become location independent.

Another possibility would be a sales job which doesn't require you to live in any particular place - if you're just flying to meetings, we're not very far away here to get back to the east coast.

Adrian

naitsirch79

Hanging by a thread...
Jun 17, 2003
OMG THANK YOU that is ....

Yes that is what I am talking about. I don't mind being told what is hard and what I might have to do. But say it in a positive light and then give me a solution. Everything has a solution if it is thought out first. Thank you for having my back and I love colombians too.

But I just don't think we should shoot down someone's dreams. Instead of how he CAN'T make it work, how about how CAN he make it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.