I want to move to the D.R.!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Good for you, but not what I personally am looking for. Heck I don't even care about all that stuff. I don't need that to be happy. I used to have all that, and it is no longer important to me. I only care to hear if a hurricane is coming:)
If you only knew my father, frugality should be my last name. And he lives way more cushy than I do.

With your way of thinking,you're going to be just fine here.

Stepha228

Mar 22, 2013
Stephanie, I understand you completely when it comes to the snow! We live in Sweden (moving to the DR in just a few months) and most of the year means walking around in cold, darkness and snow. We have been preparing our move for a long time, but also have the advantage of speaking Spanish as a second language and have family (my husbands) in the DR.

Just keep doing what you're doing, preparing as well as you can and have money for a trip back in case things don't work out. But I agree, you only live once so make it an adventure! You can't do much more than save up and gather as much info as possible.

Saludos

Jennifer
Oh Jennifer, my grandfather always talked about him and I going to Sweden to visit our relatives.... But thank you and I agree. I'm 50% Swede, so I'll be hunting you down once we all both move.;) But the summer of almost constant daylight really had me. I'd love to experience that. Sweden is so beautiful.
Thank you!

Stepha228

Mar 22, 2013
With your way of thinking,you're going to be just fine here.

Thank you. That was my biggest problem after this whole post started... I am so happy even with nothing, that I wish people understood. Thank you, again.
I'm so excited and happy to live different. Again, I'm not a normal American.... The show that I witnessed at the resort was revolting and put me in this ultra aggressive drive for change.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Good for you, but not what I personally am looking for. Heck I don't even care about all that stuff. I don't need that to be happy. I used to have all that, and it is no longer important to me. I only care to hear if a hurricane is coming:)
If you only knew my father, frugality should be my last name. And he lives way more cushy than I do.

i just mentioned those things to make you see that you do not need a lot of high society in your bank account to live a half decent material life.

Stepha228

Mar 22, 2013

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
Sorry you missed our dear Mr Frugal himself

you could have learned a lot fom him
solar oven ,homegrown weeds/veggies and only 3$ per day

Manu

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Morning, Since you want to play by the rules you will need to adjust your immigration status here in order to work. You will also need a business license. There are a lot of threads here to assist you. I cannot honestly think of a worst idea of supporting yourself here by doing a salon work unless perhaps being a taxi driver. I sincerely would not count on your new "friends" here assisting you in any meaningful way. They all have family that needs help and once they find out there is no Cinderella going on why would they help you? I appreciate your sincerity and good intentions and I wish you the best of luck.

Stepha228

Mar 22, 2013
Well, first welcome to DR1!. Being dominican I can tell you on rent there are two scenarios. Expat Prices, and local people rent prices. I would say that 650 a month is doably, plus rent. If you rent in a dominican neighborhood you can find a house for around 6 to 8 thousand pesos. If you live in an expats area double or triple the price on housing. you can find a small apartment for around $150 usd a month if you do a long term rental. there will be a lot of naysayers here, but it is very doable, you just need to be resourceful. and one more thing, if you are planning on moving downhere, expect to take you a least a year to "get it".....so you will need about 15-20k usd to relocate, not including major purchases such as a car,furniture, and such.
oceanspear

A heck of a lot of negative Nancy's.... But long term rental is my plan. Car, I'm not too worried about, there are a lot of options out there.

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
A heck of a lot of negative Nancy's.... But long term rental is my plan. Car, I'm not too worried about, there are a lot of options out there.

We want you to succeed!

Not being negative ... just trying to "balance" the enthusiasm. We haven't even talked about "earthquake" preparation yet .......

:cheeky:

Stepha228

Mar 22, 2013
Good Morning, Since you want to play by the rules you will need to adjust your immigration status here in order to work. You will also need a business license. There are a lot of threads here to assist you. I cannot honestly think of a worst idea of supporting yourself here by doing a salon work unless perhaps being a taxi driver. I sincerely would not count on your new "friends" here vuassisting you in any meaningful way. They all have family that needs help and once they find out there ino Cinderella going on why would they help you? I appreciate your sincerity and good intentions and I wish you the best of luck.

I have looked into all aspects. Immigration/citizenship. I don't rely on others for handouts/help. I plan to do this on my own, and use this site to give me more of a varied knowledge. I am well prepared in people scamming, so no issue there. But unless this website is inaccurate, I think I'm good. I'm ok with doing things s
the hard way.

Stepha228

Mar 22, 2013
We want you to succeed!

Not being negative ... just trying to "balance" the enthusiasm. We haven't even talked about "earthquake" preparation yet .......

:cheeky:

I appreciate your honesty. But I've also been through an earthquake. So the only unknown left is a hurricane, since that would be new. But I'm a weather nut, so I'm at least educated in the issue. Concrete is good. And I'm not too scared yet. There was one right before I arrived and everything was ok.

yopote

Jan 22, 2012
good idea

good idea and good luck couse is not easy/????
I just left from an amazing vacation in Puerta Plata, and I have decided that I am going to change my life around.
I have been doing a lot of reserch into citizenship/jobs/home. I have figured on taking about a year to save up money. Depending on what kind of job I find will help determine how much money I need to save up. From what I have found online, it looks like the cost of living varies quite a bit, the average I am finding is around $650US. Does that seem accurate and feasible?
One thing I have not found yet online are requirements for working in a salon. I have my salon managers license from Aveda Institute, over 10 years of experience. I have not decided really what I want to do as a job, but I am thinking about opening my own salon.
Thanks!

Stepha228

Mar 22, 2013
Good Morning, Since you want to play by the rules you will need to adjust your immigration status here in order to work. You will also need a business license. There are a lot of threads here to assist you. I cannot honestly think of a worst idea of supporting

Yes I agr

yourself here by doing a salon work unless perhaps being a taxi driver. I sincerely would not count on your new "friends" here assisting you in any meaningful way. They all have family that needs help and once they find out there is no Cinderella going on why would they help you? I appreciate your sincerity and good intentions and I wish you the best of luck.

Yes, I agree. But also that is the reason that I rely on myself and nor others. I'm just looking for advice. And so far I cannot find a reason to abandon ny dream. Regardless it will be an adjustment and different. But I feel prepared for it. You also are invited to my Happy to have moved to the Dominican Republic party :)

Stepha228

Mar 22, 2013
Sorry you missed our dear Mr Frugal himself

you could have learned a lot fom him
solar oven ,homegrown weeds/veggies and only 3$ per day

Manu

I know how to make a solar panel.....soooo.... I can make my own energy. Watch this happen. I'll get the entire island on solar power. No more problems, if used properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.