Not open for further replies.

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
Sorry you missed our dear Mr Frugal himself

you could have learned a lot from him
solar oven ,homegrown weeds/veggies and only 3$ per day

Manu

Bri .... wrong thread. I think this was meant for the "reincarnation" thread! :cheeky:

May 29, 2006
By the time I was 29, I had lived in Japan, the Pacific Islands and Estonia, never arriving with much more than $500 to my name and a return ticket home. Once the travel bug gets you, it can become a lifestyle.

Stepha228

Mar 22, 2013
Resulution....

Many people have made the change with less. So what I now decide to do is save for a year and move. Simple as that. I plan to work, my area of employment is still to be determined.... But people all around the Dominican Republic live their lives happily, and so can I.

May 29, 2006
Btw, my best friend and business partner in Estonia came with not much more than I had from Britain. He's now a multi-millionaire(in dollars, not kroons) and one of the top ten richest people in the country. I really need to hit him up for a ticket there sometime. When we were working together, we were trying to scrape up $10,000 to make a small deal and ended up brokering a million pounds of sugar to chocolate factory. Those were some crazy times.

J.Baby

Dec 23, 2012
Wow, I read a whole post on DR1 where the OP wants to move here, with developing spanish skills, after only a short trip...and no one tore her apart. I am actually really impressed. Probably because she didn't mention buying a place. I say live your dreams. The worst that can happen is you'll fail. Just make sure you have enough real money to back you up. It really seems like a lot of business here fails because they can't float themselves long enough to get a good reputation. They are here and gone before anyone even realizes they are here. If you want to come to Punta Cana area, I'm always looking for an Aveda trained stylist. I have ombre and balyage ,and none of the hairdressers here do it or have heard of it. Thank god that hair needs minimal touch ups.

J.Baby

Dec 23, 2012
Please explain to me what makes a person special? I'm a newbie here and I would hate to be special, or to be giving advice to special people.

Last edited:

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
The gorgon knows of what he speaks, Stephanie.

Do you dislike?:

Dishonesty
Lack of empathy
A generalized indifference towards animal welfare
Complacency
Lack of a sense of urgency
Shortsightedness
Rudeness
Lack of a sense of personal responsibility
Etc.
Etc.

You will not experience all these things all the time from everyone. You'll have many wonderful experiences and interactions. Your positive attitude will help. But be sure, the Dominican Republic had an abusive authoritarian father for years. Then it had none. It's a place full of moral contradictions and deficiencies. Starting at the top. The goodness of humans shines through in spite of great neglect and disadvantage. But the uglier undercurrent is there.

Well said amigo!

Gitana-

Jan 13, 2010
You display a rare combination of having realistic expectations and being optimistic. You are not afraid of hard work and are willing to delay gratification by working and saving for a year to have a better chance of it working in the end, and you have open eyes and EARS.

I think a person like you can succeed anywhere.

Welcome to the forum and good luck! :)

Stepha228

Mar 22, 2013
Please explain to me what makes a person special? I'm a newbie here and I would hate to be special, or to be giving advice to special people.

Regardless of being a newbie you run the chance of being torn apart. Just educate yourself and prepare yourself properly. Then you will be fine.

Stepha228

Mar 22, 2013
You display a rare combination of having realistic expectations and being optimistic. You are not afraid of hard work and are willing to delay gratification by working and saving for a year to have a better chance of it working in the end, and you have open eyes and EARS.

THANK YOU!!! I will for you also invite you to my party later on. I know it will be hard. But that is ok with me.

Stepha228

Mar 22, 2013
Wow, I read a whole post on DR1 where the OP wants to move here, with developing spanish skills, after only a short trip...and no one tore her apart. I am actually really impressed. Probably because she didn't mention buying a place. I say live your dreams. The worst that can happen is you'll fail. Just make sure you have enough real money to back you up. It really seems like a lot of business here fails because they can't float themselves long enough to get a good reputation. They are here and gone before anyone even realizes they are here. If you want to come to Punta Cana area, I'm always looking for an Aveda trained stylist. I have ombre and balyage ,and none of the hairdressers here do it or have heard of it. Thank god that hair needs minimal touch ups.

I have had short and long trips all over the world. I will be doing this, and later probably purchase a home. My parents keep trying to get me to do so here, but I don't want to be stuck here. In the Dominican Republic I'm happy to be stuck. Hard work and determination go a long way regardless of country and country of origin.

Stepha228

Mar 22, 2013

Why cannot more people be like you, and speak like you.....

Status
Not open for further replies.