I'm outta here...

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Living anywhere is all about expectations. You don't sound very well prepared. You keep talking about doing some kind of work but are very vague about it. Few people make a decent wage here... even those with a degree. Most who are financially comfortable have a some kind of steady pension / social security check. Personally, I work for a US-based company earning the same salary I would if I was there. If I had to live here on a DR salary I'd have left years ago. I live comfortably but well under my means. Flaunting your money is stupid. As others have said, the chica's get boring after a while (although I'm gay so chica's were never part of the equation)... the beer will start tasting stale, and the weather will lose it's appeal.

Can you honestly say what you expect your day-to-day life be if you lived here? What's your budget? Where will you live? How will you get around?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I've been here for a few years and still enjoy the chicas and beer (both of which are cheaper than where I come from) and live on quite a lot less than $2-3K per month. You have to come for a while and try it for yourself.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Funding" to live in the DR.
For a Single Guy, $1,000 USD, can scrape by, drab existance.
$2,000 USA, you can be fine, a few nights out for dinner, drinks, bring home a "Date once in a while.
$3,000 USA, Live LARGE, "DO" whatever you want, and more impotent, "DO", whoever you want.
Travel around, a "Resort" when you want.
Single guy with a Dominican, so called, "Novia",...SHE will "Live Large", but you will be poor!
More than $3,000 USD, no "Novias", except by the hour,get a car, rent a beach condo, "Eat, Drink, and "Make Maria"!!!
Where do you fall?
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

May 29, 2006
I would sure like that crock pot chili recipe.................

B in Santiago

I used to make this 8 gallons at a time. It was a good seller.

Chili~ About a Gallon

3 Cans Kidney Beans(or Dominican Red Beans)
2 Cans Black Beans
1 Can White Beans(Great Northern)

2 Cans Diced Tomatoes
2 Large Onions, medium dice
1/4 C Cumin
2 TBS Granulated Garlic
2 TBS Dark Chili Powder
Large Jar Generic Salsa or cook 1 pound fresh peppers instead
1 Pound Ground Beef, Cooked. Add spices to meat, do not drain off. Simmer for about an hour.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I used to make this 8 gallons at a time. It was a good seller.

Chili~ About a Gallon

3 Cans Kidney Beans(or Dominican Red Beans)
2 Cans Black Beans
1 Can White Beans(Great Northern)

2 Cans Diced Tomatoes
2 Large Onions, medium dice
1/4 C Cumin
2 TBS Granulated Garlic
2 TBS Dark Chili Powder
Large Jar Generic Salsa or cook 1 pound fresh peppers instead
1 Pound Ground Beef, Cooked. Add spices to meat, do not drain off. Simmer for about an hour.

kinda thin on the ground beef there, Peter.

Aug 6, 2006
If you are selling this chili, a pound of beef sounds like enough to make the chili tasty and capable of being sold at a fair profit. But, of course, it is a matter of taste. I have never heard of putting white beans in chili, but I'd have to try it to judge.

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
Enjoy meeting new people/cultures
Living anywhere is all about expectations.Few people make a decent wage here... even those with a degree. Most who are financially comfortable have a some kind of steady pension / social security check.

Very well put... A visit here to test the market would be wise - supermarket, colmado, meeting market, meet and meat market...will go a long way. It can seem cheap here - but just today a refrigerator repair cost 1800rd. Not really a bargain, neither is a box of milk at 49 pesos or Coca Cola at 59...

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
OK, then. Is Dominican culture, generally speaking, like urban culture in the U.S.? I do not do ghetto well. Been there, done that too many years, don't wanna do it in Spanish.

I guess I have beaten this to death by a thousand versions of the same question, but... what constitutes underfunded? I think I might be able to teach, according to responses from another thread I started some time ago. I am not a bazillionaire, and have no pension payments coming for at least a decade.

No matter what anyone tells you, there is no Dominican culture of significance. If you told your respected friends or family to come and visit you in 6 months as they would have a wonderful cultural experience, they would probably think that you were on drugs, never speak to you again and return telling all your friends that you had gone nuts over here. There is none, maybe the pretend culture over emphasised on resorts, oh, and your welcoming band at the airport, who really do mislead what you are in for on your fist adventure here.

My first trip was a week. What constitutes a decent budget? My second trip was under a year and I spent $100,000 and was alright, I could easily have drank more and screwed more but I was on a budget.

May 29, 2006
kinda thin on the ground beef there, Peter.

Can't really argue with you on that if you're a big meat eater, but with more meat, I'd add in some Worcestershire and soy and maybe more spices. Oh, left the salt out..

I like ancho flavor in my chili too, but this is a quick restaurant recipe.

Texas Chili wouldn't have any beans at all. When I came up with the recipe, I was trying to reverse engineer Wendy's chili. They use the same meat as for the burgers.

We have a chili festival every year in town here and it has a big turnout. Lots of weird add ins and meats. Someone does M&Ms on top and it adds kind of a mole flavor.

May 29, 2006
If you are selling this chili, a pound of beef sounds like enough to make the chili tasty and capable of being sold at a fair profit. But, of course, it is a matter of taste. I have never heard of putting white beans in chili, but I'd have to try it to judge.

I think I was selling a 10oz bowl of it with a big slice of homemade cornbread, butter and crackers for $6. Figure 12 orders per gallon and a cost of $1.25 including the add ons. Soup is where the money is at in the restaurant business.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
.....never move to the DR just for the chicas. If you play your cards right...they take up 1, maybe 2 hours of your day. You have the other 22 or 23 hours to kill...better make damn sure you like it here for the sake of being here.

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
But the chicas are irresistable, dammit! Gimme the chicas.... I want the chicas, man...the chicaaaaaaaaaassssssss!!!!!!!

Actually, I would never move there JUST because of the chicas... probably... but the chicas are so damned... chica-like! The appeal for me is that they look like African American women... but are not. Of course, I could be terribly misinformed. I have not posed it as a question in order to avoid discussing race... this might be crossing the line, I dunno. In any event, let us proceed with the discussion at hand. Do Dominicans eat chili?

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Can't really argue with you on that if you're a big meat eater, but with more meat, I'd add in some Worcestershire and soy and maybe more spices. Oh, left the salt out..

I like ancho flavor in my chili too, but this is a quick restaurant recipe.

Texas Chili wouldn't have any beans at all. When I came up with the recipe, I was trying to reverse engineer Wendy's chili. They use the same meat as for the burgers.

We have a chili festival every year in town here and it has a big turnout. Lots of weird add ins and meats. Someone does M&Ms on top and it adds kind of a mole flavor.

Peter, please do not interpret this to be a criticism of anything you post. far be it from me to criticize a master. i just thought that for those ingredients, 2 lbs would be more like it.

i know you are capable of cookoff quality stuff that calls for 4 dumps, 4 different types of chili, and six hours simmer time at around 250 degrees.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
But the chicas are irresistable, dammit! Gimme the chicas.... I want the chicas, man...the chicaaaaaaaaaassssssss!!!!!!!

Actually, I would never move there JUST because of the chicas... probably... but the chicas are so damned... chica-like! The appeal for me is that they look like African American women... but are not. Of course, I could be terribly misinformed. I have not posed it as a question in order to avoid discussing race... this might be crossing the line, I dunno. In any event, let us proceed with the discussion at hand. Do Dominicans eat chili?

the question should be;

are Dominicans familiar with chili?