I'm outta here...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
tomorrow i am scheduled to make a chili for da family. my recipe is rather simple but not cheap, i guess.

bunch of vegetables
minced meat
cans of beans
cans of crushed tomatoes
seasoning

i cut onions, peppers and tomatoes. throw them in a pot with a spoon of oil. cook until soft, add meat.
cook until the meat is no longer read. stir frequently, crush any chunks of the meat with that thingy for making mashed potatoes. the point is that meat has to be like... aaaa... buckwheat, if i may use the word. in small pieces, in other words.
add cans of beans. i am not fussy here, i add whatever beans i have: white, red, black, no matter. pour a bit of water in each can, shake a bit and add that water to the chili.
add tomato cans, the quantity depends on how much meat and beans you have, i normally add one large can.
add crushed garlic, cumin, salt, chili powder (or cayenne pepper) and any other spices you want to use. stir well.
put gas on low and let cook for at least an hour. i normally do two hours.

serve over whatever you like. i use wild rice. if i make it for dominicans i make rice for them and potatoes for me.
leftovers have various uses. i use chili in sammiches or as a dip for chips. also in burritos or tacos. if you cook more then you have few more dinners from that batch.

also, i use a lot of minced meat. for a set of ingredients in peterinbrat's recipe i would use 2 pounds of beef minimum. but then his recipe is great for restaurants where you need to keep the costs down to make a profit. i fully approve. but at home i go for a broke. my meals are expensive but really good. i had a friend come for a dinner a week ago and we bought over 2000 pesos worth of churrasco. plus potato salad and freshly baked seeds and garlic breads. it would have been cheaper to go out ;)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Explorer, Dominican "Chicas", are "Hot", and "Spicy" just like Thai food.
AND they to will, "Burn Your A$$", when you have to "$HIT" them out the next morning!
My, "Gut Feeling" is, you won't make it here!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
"
My, "Gut Feeling" is, you won't make it here!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Criss,

I was told that in 2000 when I was planning to move to Puerto Plata. When I actually did it in 2001, nothing long-term was mentioned.

WELL, here it 2013 and I am still ensconced in my place in Puerto Plata and my work. Of course, I have to go back and forth for health reasons, but it is an average of 8 months to 4 - here vs. the US.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
tomorrow i am scheduled to make a chili for da family. my recipe is rather simple but not cheap, i guess.

bunch of vegetables
minced meat
cans of beans
cans of crushed tomatoes
seasoning

i cut onions, peppers and tomatoes. throw them in a pot with a spoon of oil. cook until soft, add meat.
cook until the meat is no longer read. stir frequently, crush any chunks of the meat with that thingy for making mashed potatoes. the point is that meat has to be like... aaaa... buckwheat, if i may use the word. in small pieces, in other words.
add cans of beans. i am not fussy here, i add whatever beans i have: white, red, black, no matter. pour a bit of water in each can, shake a bit and add that water to the chili.
add tomato cans, the quantity depends on how much meat and beans you have, i normally add one large can.
add crushed garlic, cumin, salt, chili powder (or cayenne pepper) and any other spices you want to use. stir well.
put gas on low and let cook for at least an hour. i normally do two hours.

serve over whatever you like. i use wild rice. if i make it for dominicans i make rice for them and potatoes for me.
leftovers have various uses. i use chili in sammiches or as a dip for chips. also in burritos or tacos. if you cook more then you have few more dinners from that batch.

also, i use a lot of minced meat. for a set of ingredients in peterinbrat's recipe i would use 2 pounds of beef minimum. but then his recipe is great for restaurants where you need to keep the costs down to make a profit. i fully approve. but at home i go for a broke. my meals are expensive but really good. i had a friend come for a dinner a week ago and we bought over 2000 pesos worth of churrasco. plus potato salad and freshly baked seeds and garlic breads. it would have been cheaper to go out ;)

Oh, this looks so good! The left over chili is delicious on baked potatoes too.:)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"la Profi", you were, are, and will remain, a "Better Bet" than "Explorer"!!!
I doubt that the "Chicas" were your reason for moving here!
"Bad Seed" won't take root anywhere.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am worried about him too. he's like a dude getting into very cold water, wincing with every step and crying when the water reaches ball level. you either jump in and swim or get out, man. do or do not, there is no try.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Like being, "A Little Bit Pregnant".
Berzin, or, "BB",...insert Kenny Rogers, "You Gotta Know When To "Hold 'em, and know when to "Fold "em here!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no. that you are indecisive. and unprepared.

i think you have a fantasy to come and live in DR. but you cannot take this step for financial reasons and you do not have a solid plan yet. coming here bare assed is good at twenty when everyone thinks they know all there is to know and they can conquer the world with one fart. at fifty you need a realistic strategy.

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
no. that you are indecisive. and unprepared.

i think you have a fantasy to come and live in DR. but you cannot take this step for financial reasons and you do not have a solid plan yet. coming here bare assed is good at twenty when everyone thinks they know all there is to know and they can conquer the world with one fart. at fifty you need a realistic strategy.

I will reply to this comment one day. Not sure when. Or how. Maybe.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Like being, "A Little Bit Pregnant".
Berzin, or, "BB",...insert Kenny Rogers, "You Gotta Know When To "Hold 'em, and know when to "Fold "em here!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

hahahaha

No access....................................

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
OK. Been talking about this so long I am sick of me. Could move to another part of the U.S., but will always have that " I shoulda given living abroad a chance" thing bothering the hell outta me. Could not talk anybody into investment venture, so I am gonna take my pitiably low funds, a coupe of college de-grees, and try out living abroad.

I like hot chicks, am afraid of stds, love cheap beer, and need a safe, clean place to live. After some years in few big American cities, I don't scare easily, but don't want to be foolish. I was warned that going to D.R. alone, without knowing anybody would be...foolish. This was advice from someone of Dominican descent, now living in Europe. "They will follow you from the airport and rob you!"... or something to that effect. Anyway, the chicks in D.R. are ridiculously sexy; I cannot think of another reason to choose this as my first destination over, say Colombia, El Salvador, quite frankly. Thoughts? Opinions? Chili recipes?

If you are coming from North America the DR is a reasonable distant to travel. The climate is more moderate than South and Central America. It is more "Americanized" than the other countries you mentioned. Cost of living is not bad. Finding a job could be problematic if you don't have any language skills. There are many beautiful women, but sadly to say most of them are not interested in you but just your money. As Jimmy Buffet said " you know that you can't trust them and they know they can't trust you". Good Luck. Coming down on vacation and check it out. Nothing beats feet on the ground.

LTSteve

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Wow, listen to the words and it sounds so much like Sos?a.

[video=youtube;0-N9L3ZXWPA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-N9L3ZXWPA[/video]

If you are coming from North America the DR is a reasonable distant to travel. The climate is more moderate than South and Central America. It is more "Americanized" than the other countries you mentioned. Cost of living is not bad. Finding a job could be problematic if you don't have any language skills. There are many beautiful women, but sadly to say most of them are not interested in you but just your money. As Jimmy Buffet said " you know that you can't trust them and they know they can't trust you". Good Luck. Coming down on vacation and check it out. Nothing beats feet on the ground.

LTSteve