I'm outta here...

El Hason

Nov 7, 2013
"Funding" to live in the DR.
For a Single Guy, $1,000 USD, can scrape by, drab existance.
$2,000 USA, you can be fine, a few nights out for dinner, drinks, bring home a "Date once in a while.
$3,000 USA, Live LARGE, "DO" whatever you want, and more impotent, "DO", whoever you want.
Travel around, a "Resort" when you want.
Single guy with a Dominican, so called, "Novia",...SHE will "Live Large", but you will be poor!
More than $3,000 USD, no "Novias", except by the hour,get a car, rent a beach condo, "Eat, Drink, and "Make Maria"!!!
Where do you fall?
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I guess you speak from experience and considering that all expenses are being covered by those salary points...right?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I guess you speak from experience and considering that all expenses are being covered by those salary points...right?

First, welcome to DR1!

CCCC has been living in DR for several decades, Hason. There are maybe a half dozen folks on this board with as much time in-country as him. He can be a bit brusque, but is harmless. His information, however, is spot on. My advice is to take his advice.

El Hason

Nov 7, 2013
First, welcome to DR1!

CCCC has been living in DR for several decades, Hason. There are maybe a half dozen folks on this board with as much time in-country as him. He can be a bit brusque, but is harmless. His information, however, is spot on. My advice is to take his advice.

I have seen his post and I agree he seems to know what he is talking about.

Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my Droid DNA on 4.3!!!

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
True! I was always outside looking in on DR1 almost 2 Years before I decided to make the move in 2007..I actually found this site by looking on some prices on apartments, then finally joined...you have a ton of experience here on board from expats, no need to know anyone physically, but sure can be great to make a friend or 2 along the way..

You are not alone. You have DR1! Dont underestimate it.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
True! I was always outside looking in on DR1 almost 2 Years before I decided to make the move in 2007..I actually found this site by looking on some prices on apartments, then finally joined...you have a ton of experience here on board from expats, no need to know anyone physically, but sure can be great to make a friend or 2 along the way..

221 quality posts in just 30 days, you are on the road to dr1 "Hall of Fame", nice pic BTW, any relation to Bun E Carlos?

Last edited:

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Why, pray tell?

Colombia's cities have far greater infrastructure than DR. That means 24/7 power, potable water, etc. Medellin has some of the nicest weather of any of the larger latin american cities.

The cost of living is a bit lower than what you'll find in DR for comparable circumstances, except perhaps for cartagena. Medellin is very livable, but not really tourist-oriented. Cartagena has a similar climate to Santo Domingo, but the town itself is far more pleasant. The women are still quite attractive, but can appear very different, as plastic surgery is very popular there. They're also a bit lighter skinned (unless you're dealing with a Cali chica.)

You need solid Spanish. Really.

OTOH, the DR is an island. And a valley. And a city. And a beach town. And all within 4 hours of each other. The DR has ladrones, while Colombia is still trying to close out a civil war. And personally, I find Dominicanas to be more attractive than Paisas, but either will do nicely, lol.

Oh, you need solid Spanish. Really. lol.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Medellin has some of the nicest weather of any of the larger latin american cities.

I do not think I would like the weather in Medellin. The nickname is the city of eternal spring. I like it hottttt, esp. at night!! My buddy tells me he brings a light jacket for the evenings and the rain.

I hear you need really solid Spanish.

DOC1727

Aug 30, 2011
I have been to the DR, Puerto Rico, Costa Rica, Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador and Colombia. All have plus or minuses. The DR is at the bottom of my list for "Good Looking Women" and "Cleanliness" and overall infrastructure.

DOC1727

Aug 30, 2011
Medellin has one of the largest Expat community in Colombia with Bogota having the largest. Cartagena is a mayor tourist destination and where most newbie gringos go to Colombia for the very first time to visit and later on discover other and better places to visit and live in Colombia. Many gringos without knowing Spanish visit this country.

If you like the DR chaotic style of living in Colombia you need to visit la costa like Cartagena , Barranquilla, Cali, Santa Marta, San Andres island, Etc. If you like well organized modern cities with a European flavor try Bogota, Medellin, Etc.

Last edited: