Immigration: Upon further review--good and bad news

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Still lots and lots of questions and not many answers.

It seems that there is pressure from lawyer's groups to extend the amnesty period, to be more flexible to be more of a lot of things.

For example, a US citizen can stay here without a visa. Don't know why, but that is one thing I was told.

Stay tuned for the next chapter in: Dominican Living--the New Regulations, brought to you by Tide!!!

HB

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
As a Canadian I can do this once a year with no visa.

Not anymore! They have changed the allotted time a person on a tourist visa can repeat that in a 3 year time lapse!

Have a sister living in windsor Ontario, who's a Canadian citizen with two kids. she used to do just that due to her husband's biz and can't anymore without having to file for a temporary resident permit from the gringo next door.

Most tourists are unaware that they get stamped a maximum limit for stay in their passport, but that doesn't mean it's meant to be like that each time. A lot of people have seen their tourist visa pulled and returned back home on entry to gringo land just because of this lately! A lot!

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Pichardo I know lots of people from my country that reside in the States and come home 1 time a year to renew there 6 month stay lots of people from my country have houses in Florida and retire there and live off their rents. Now if they over stay their 6 months they are in trouble but if alot go home paint their houses spend 2 weeks and go back to the USA. In fact i hasve spent 3 months in the USA went back home then went back to the USA for another 4 months all in the same year and this was recently but once again we are comparing USA to DR.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Not anymore! They have changed the allotted time a person on a tourist visa can repeat that in a 3 year time lapse!

Have a sister living in windsor Ontario, who's a Canadian citizen with two kids. she used to do just that due to her husband's biz and can't anymore without having to file for a temporary resident permit from the gringo next door.

Most tourists are unaware that they get stamped a maximum limit for stay in their passport, but that doesn't mean it's meant to be like that each time. A lot of people have seen their tourist visa pulled and returned back home on entry to gringo land just because of this lately! A lot!

My Mother has been a snowbird going to Florida for a 5 month period for 18 years now. You say they wont allow her to do this anymore?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Pichardo I know lots of people from my country that reside in the States and come home 1 time a year to renew there 6 month stay lots of people from my country have houses in Florida and retire there and live off their rents. Now if they over stay their 6 months they are in trouble but if alot go home paint their houses spend 2 weeks and go back to the USA. In fact i hasve spent 3 months in the USA went back home then went back to the USA for another 4 months all in the same year and this was recently but once again we are comparing USA to DR.

Yeah! Yeah! And you can even fly like Mr. Kent does too!

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Anyway we will have to wait and see quick question Pichardo if you are married and live here 6 months can you apply for citizenship with out applying for residency this is what I read on Guzmans web page do you know if this is a fact ? TIA

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
At least they could have confirmed that there is none. Until now I did not hear that there is no amnesty from a lawyer...
I did, but there ~may~ be some "exceptions."

Exceptions=propina, wanna bet?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Pichardo does not understand - I see that cleary

I can and have gone to the US as a tourist for 5 months, no qusetions asked. I can do this in the US but not the DR. LOL

Do it twice in a year and kiss your US tourist visa good-bye!

Once again PICHARDO tries to obfuscate the fact that US visitor's visas are granted for 6 months. Many of us on the north coast know people that vacation here for 4 to 6 months. Some do it each year, some do it occasionally, some do it once and never again. They are on extended vacation and residency is not an option! Get it? Understand?

Please tell me what there option(s) is/are and keep in mind residency is not one of them.

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Pichardo No need for smart comments !!!!I am telling you what people are doing from my country no tourist visa needed for my country buds just because Domincans can not get visas easily do not hate on the rest. Im stating what people do from my country nothing else. Now I also asked another question addresed to you if you can help me with that I would greatly appreciate it and keep your smart comments to yourself I have not disrespected you no need to disrespect me!

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
What is the feeling on how they would look at 2, 60 day trips....say, Nov, Dec and Mar, Apr? Would this be allowed under the new rules?

potatohead

May 10, 2012
Nonsense. Please see my other post on that in this thread.
So windy........you are saying that I can arrive POP, get a 30 day visa stamp, stay 5 months.......return to POP, pay a fine and go home? Or maybe I should apply for a visa here in USA before I leave? Maybe I can get extensions once I am there? aw.gezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, i'm so confused!!!!!!!!!

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Potatohead know one knows at the moment buds its Fluid. You are not the only one confused either!

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Also question for Pichardo or anyone can you get your birth certificate translated and notarised here in the DR as well as your single status document? I have been trying to find this out for a few days?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
So windy........you are saying that I can arrive POP, get a 30 day visa stamp, stay 5 months.......return to POP, pay a fine and go home? Or maybe I should apply for a visa here in USA before I leave? Maybe I can get extensions once I am there? aw.gezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, i'm so confused!!!!!!!!!

No I am not saying that. The current regulations as I understand them are you can enter the DR where you will get a 60 day visa. Then you can extend that another 60 days by having a medical exam and getting some paperwork done. That is all I know about the current status of visitor's visas and these ill conceived regulations. Other people are saying that the fine procedure for overstaying the original visitor's time period are still in effect. Some have called this fluid. I call it mud.