import duty on a harley davidson

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
CB.... can you post a pic of the Suzuki's 650 you may want to sell.... and if you dont mind...how much?
thanks....
btw, I also saw a Honda CB360 from the 70s in pristine condition for sale....whats your take on it?
I was thinking Yamaha DT...but I don't think is a good all around bike to travel the country...and I do a lot of Cabrera-Santo Domingo traveling...
thanks for the advice in advance...
Opinions vary, of course, but the CB360 is a true classic machine (I had a '70 CB350 in college, loved it. CB. Get it? :cheeky:) But to me it'd be a tragedy to take a pristine classic bike and bash it as a daily rider on DR roads. Parades or maybe a leisurly slow ride on a dry day? Maybe. My ONLY bike? No. But like I said, opinions vary.

From a technical standpoint, a CB360 is old tech with old suspension engineering. Parts would be an issue, and you'd constantly be waiting for that EPS email saying the needed package had arrived.

DT's are dirt bikes, tall & skinny. The skinny seat is very uncomfortable on a long ride because one stands on the pegs of a dirt bike most of the time. That's how they are designed. Your passenger will HATE it. Knobbie tires are made for the loose stuff but lose significant traction (think cornering & hard braking) on pavement, not to mention they vibrate like hell off the dirt. Your hands will become numb. But dirt? Fantastic.

Every bike is a compromise between mission, performance and cost. There is no one perfect bike. And it's up to the rider to decide where the compromises meet. The single biggest mistake noobs make is gravitating toward a particular bike based on looks and/or the "cool" factor and *not on the mission asked of the bike*. This can lead to bad riding experiences, a garage queen...or even worse. There is a reason there are a bazillion Harleys with almost no mileage on the odo for sale, and you can't hardly find a low mileage F800 for sale.

I wrote in our free eBook (if you want a copy drop me a PM with email address & formet, .pdf, .mobi, .epub or .doc) how MotoCaribe Motorcycle Adventure Tours chose the Suzuki V-Strom DL650.

First of all we were 100% agnostic about any preference going into the process: we didn't care who "won", we wanted the BEST tool for the job. It took months of research and test rides. We created a list of what we wanted in a bike based on budget, mission and the riding conditions of the DR and force ranked the list, weighing each factor. We then, from online research, rider comments and test rides, force ranked each bike. Except for one, the DL650 came out at or near the top of almost every factor.

We ranked:
  • Initial cost
  • Operating cost
  • Maintenance frequency, reputation & cost
  • Rider ergos including 2-up
  • Performance
  • Durability
  • Street/Off Road bias
  • Availability of parts
  • Consumer satisfaction
  • Street appeal

The DL650 isn't the prettiest bike out there. You won't pull up to Bike Nite the Burger Doodle and attract a crowd...except to serious riders who "understand" function over form. They are a 85/15 street/off road bike with a ton of power, bullet-proof motor (the engine is a re-cammed & re-valved SV650 engine, one of the best small sportbike V-twins ever made), 55mpg, close to maintenance-free, tall and long (people are very surprised a machine that big is "only" 650cc's, agile in the twisties, capable on hard-packed and stable at highway speeds, a very comfortable for all-day rides including passenger, capable but not radical brakes, no chrome to polish and just goes in all conditions. They just aren't that purty, "cool", don't have a liter's worth of power and owners groups with logos on every item known to man.

But now that I've lived with the fleet for over 5 years I've learned that the DL650 is like a hardbodied Plain Jane Tomboy who can cook, drink you under the table, shoot pool, swears with the boys, knows a rotating 3 man zone deep drop NFL defense, plays shortstop, can clean up well for a night out, runs a surplus with the household budget and knows how to keep you warm at night.

She just isn't eye candy with a lot of bling.

We will replace the fleet with new 2013 DL650's. That's how well we like them.

Gris.jpg

Search4-1.jpg

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I think a Harley could be a viable option with a few modifications.

First replace the frame with something from Japan, complete with wheels and a good pair of tyres to match.
Fit the remaining bits from said frame as they will be metric, not standard.
To re-distribute the CofG and provide a viable power source, replace the engine with something Japanese, say, beginning with 'H'.
You can then keep the 'H' bit of HD on the bike.

Cunning plan eh?
:cheeky:

frank12 did something similar. He took a Husaberg dirt bike, put street tires on it, and now has a Super Motard...

B J

Feb 20, 2013
It'll cost you, at minimum, an additional 50% of what they think it's worth, not what you paid for it.

FWIW, a Harley is the wrong tool for safe riding in the DR.

hi
i thought there were companies in the US that could give me a price door to door. In other words they take care of all the B@ll$hit with customs ...i pay upfront to have them haul my bike from the US to the DR.
Is this not possible????????

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
hi
i thought there were companies in the US that could give me a price door to door. In other words they take care of all the B@ll$hit with customs ...i pay upfront to have them haul my bike from the US to the DR.
Is this not possible????????
They will do it, but you'll still pay customs, i.e. ITIBIS (18%) & Initial Registration (17%) on what they determine the value to be. Add shipping and various port charges, and you're at 50+%

No avoiding that.

ALL those guys do is lower the non-economic BS, not the taxes.

If anyone tells you differently you should run.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
B J,
You'll be using a car importer for that transaction, if you do it.

I asked my regular mudanza about a 4 wheeler and he declined to ship it... too much hassle.

As CB says, they just do the legwork for you... you won't save money , in fact you'll pay them for their work..... but less trips to the port and less grief.

I would pay the importer - personally, my choice..... there are a couple on here - DR1

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Windeguy nailed it.

The suspension is not for the conditions here.

It's really heavy with spongy brakes.

There are many curves and a Harley has a rake meant for going in a straight line.

It's heavy to be "flickable" in tight corners and in avoiding whacked-out drivers, buzzing motos and gaping potholes in the middle of a blind curve.

FWIW: I may be replacing my fleet of '08 Suzuki V-Strom DL650's, an excellent bike for the DR. I may have 11 of them for sale at a fraction of what a Harley costs.

What would these sell for?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
What would these sell for?

I haven't placed the ad with DR1 yet, but will.

I have a dealer who wants to buy them all and sell at over the figures wg posted for a 2008.

I'll sell to DR1ers well below those numbers, and sell the rest to him.

I just need to place the order for the 2013's first, and that should happen fairly soon, as soon as a few chips fall into place.

frank12 has a bunch of miles on one of my DL650's in the DR.

Stay tuned.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Aaahhhh !.. private enterprise......

Frankie G rode some backwards, if I recall..... or was that the donkey??...... or the chica???

I got confused - visually

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I haven't placed the ad with DR1 yet, but will.

I have a dealer who wants to buy them all and sell at over the figures wg posted for a 2008.

I'll sell to DR1ers well below those numbers, and sell the rest to him.

I just need to place the order for the 2013's first, and that should happen fairly soon, as soon as a few chips fall into place.

frank12 has a bunch of miles on one of my DL650's in the DR.

Stay tuned.

Yep, as i mentioned earlier this week in another thread, the Suzuki 650 V-Stroms are by far and away the best bike for this island for a number of reasons:

1. Plush suspension--able to absorb a ten foot bomb craters.
2. Twin cylinders--much better and smoother then a single cylinder Big Bore--which has a lot of vibration. The Suzuki Twins have no vibration.
3. Fantastic wide seat--you're able to ride all day long on them--even make babies on them...totally opposite of a Yamaha DT seat--which makes you sterile after a long ride.
4. Long wheel base---great for the craters, ruts, and holes in the road, as well as much smoother on the highway.
5. Excellent gas mileage...because they're 650's.
6. Bomb proof Japanese engines. And i mean Bomb Proof.
7. Able to get you through any upcoming Presidential election strikes or Zombie Apocalypse.
8. Most importantly of all--well taken care of by a motorcycle gear head which pampered them and changed the oil regularly and did preventive maintenance--what i like to call "Pro-Active" way of maintaining a bike; which is the opposite of the typical Dominican way of maintaining a bike--which i call "Reactive"--waiting until something breaks before fixing it.

I have a YouTube video of a 15km run on the Suzuki 650 V-Strom, which nearly matched my CBR Honda 1000RR runs.

Frank

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Harleys...I've tried a lot of them. It's all about the noise basically...and depending on the look and attitude of the owner.
Maybe a cool feeling if it's the image you are looking for, but by performance, they're a joke....1960's technology. Feels like driving a '66 Buick around corners and switch-backs, or whatever. No brakes! We did Seattle to Vancouver and Whistler on a brand new ElectraGlide or something, and couldn't wait to get off that rattle-trap. pop-pop-pop-pop in our ears...uffff.
Not for serious riders. CB's Suzuki's were a fine ride for me. Loved them.
Got home, cranked the 1,200 BMW RT up, got on the road, and back in heaven. Get a real bike.
I'd take a VStrom over any Harley any day, especially in this country.

BTW Monk...your little brain bucket offers zero protection. U might like the look, but your head, think of your dear head.
It only takes a small pebble in the road to put even the best rider down.
Just sayin' bro.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
There are groups of people that have Harleys and other bike bikes but when they go on trips they really need to know the way because eating big pothole would be disastrous if not dangerous.

Speaking of the Vstrom, I did a trip with cb and ate a hole that had to be 2 feet wide by more than 18" deep at 50 mph and I thought I was going down with the ship. Fortunately it was just a huge jar(and maybe a bent rim?, sorry).

B J

Feb 20, 2013
I understand magna motors in SD is the harley dealer
1/ can anyone tell me if magna motors stock the lower end HD ....price wise ???? i.e
iron 883 $8k, model 48 $10k, model 72 $11k approx US figures. many of the above respondents say to add 50% to get a DR sale price
is anyone close by this dealership, can they let me know if they carry these models and rough actual price particularly the iron

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Don't buy a Harley Davidson for the DR. Buy something with a lot of suspension. Trust me, you're going to need it.

"The baddest, wildest, fastest, bike in the DR. Period. 2006 KTM 950SM. You ever sat on a lion before? Well this is the closest you'll ever come. This bike will do 270km/180MPH down the highway and make you feel like you're being catapulted back to the Fu&%*^ing future. This bike has enough ground clearance to clear a sequoia tree or cross a river during a hurricane. The only thing lacking on this bike is a Flux Capicator--like the one employed by Michael J Fox in Back To The Future--but honestly, it doesn't need one because you can get enough lift to catapult you into outer space on this bike as it accelerates from 0-100km in 3 seconds. It's 950cc! it's got enough torque to rips your fu&^%$ing arms out of their sockets or take your hair weave out. It'll rip the knickers off any girl sitting on the back in 10 seconds. This bike is not for sissies.

This bike will carry you through any Zombie Apocalypse you encounter on this island...you'll be tearing up asphalt--kicking ass and taking names--as you barrel through groups of Pentecostals, Mormons, Baptists, and Jehovah Witnesses on Sunday morning as you head for Passions for the all-you-can-eat-buffett. The bike runs like a rocket ship and stops just as quickly with the motorcycle industry's leading 330mm Brembo brakes and the most massive calipers you've ever seen in your life.

Trust me...you'll need them! They have to be experienced to be believed. This KTM 950cc is the baddest bike on the island. Nothing even remotely comes close to it. That's why there are only two on the whole island-one in Cabarete, one in Santo Domingo. it costs U.S $20,000 new at the KTM dealership in 2006. I got the receipt. This one was special ordered through KTM in Santo Domingo.

This bike has new rubber high heel shoes on her, because you don't let a classy lady leave the house barefoot, do you? She's got new Carbon Fiber side panels because you don't deprive your sexy lady expensive jewelry and panties when she leaves the house. Why am i selling it? Because i'm not the kind of guy to drive by a river and not try to jump over the thing like Evil Kneivel. I see a bridge, i'm going to hit that thing at 180mph and catapult over the river like the Space Shuttle taking off from Cape Canaveral! I'm sorry, I can't pass up golden opportunities like that. I'm not right in the head.

Listen...you want a stupid Chinese scooter, then move to China. You want something to take you to the moon and back, screaming, "Oh Yeah, Baby, it's Business time!" then come and see me. But don't come to me talking some stupid brain damage crap about how bad ass your Harley is. Harley's can't surf! Harley's a fat piece of bloated steel crap situated on an obese frame. Harley is a WWII Tank barreling down the highway making a lot of noise; Harley don't jump bridges, man! It's fat ass that only knows how to make a lot of noise without the side effect of horsepower. You want to talk 180MPH/270km, come see me. But please, don't come and see me if you want to talk about how some stupid Chinese bike once scared you...Chinese bikes are for women and Motoconcho riders.

You want to talk about catapulting over rivers, chasing monkeys down the street..come see me! You want to compare scars, come see me. But don't come and see me and waste my time talking about some stupid, piece of crap Yamaha 125cc DT that has less horsepower then a riding lawn mower...and how it once scared the living crap out of you when you were 12yrs old. $8000 gets you three helmets, a KTM Brochure, Saddle bags--(never used), KTM factory tools, a link to some of my favorite youtube crash videos, a short story about honest two women on this island, a shot of Jack Daniels with me and my buddy, Alabama Gary, a cup of black tar coffee, and whatever kind of tequila you like."

Frank

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Now there's an offer that's hard to turn down...... 3 helmets!! in the deal too....

Fill'em w/ champagne to celebrate the purchase !!

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Don't buy a Harley Davidson for the DR. Buy something with a lot of suspension. Trust me, you're going to need it.

"The baddest, wildest, fastest, bike in the DR. Period. 2006 KTM 950SM. You ever sat on a lion before? Well this is the closest you'll ever come. This bike will do 270km/180MPH down the highway and make you feel like you're being catapulted back to the Fu&%*^ing future. This bike has enough ground clearance to clear a sequoia tree or cross a river during a hurricane. The only thing lacking on this bike is a Flux Capicator--like the one employed by Michael J Fox in Back To The Future--but honestly, it doesn't need one because you can get enough lift to catapult you into outer space on this bike as it accelerates from 0-100km in 3 seconds. It's 950cc! it's got enough torque to rips your fu&^%$ing arms out of their sockets or take your hair weave out. It'll rip the knickers off any girl sitting on the back in 10 seconds. This bike is not for sissies.

This bike will carry you through any Zombie Apocalypse you encounter on this island...you'll be tearing up asphalt--kicking ass and taking names--as you barrel through groups of Pentecostals, Mormons, Baptists, and Jehovah Witnesses on Sunday morning as you head for Passions for the all-you-can-eat-buffett. The bike runs like a rocket ship and stops just as quickly with the motorcycle industry's leading 330mm Brembo brakes and the most massive calipers you've ever seen in your life.

Trust me...you'll need them! They have to be experienced to be believed. This KTM 950cc is the baddest bike on the island. Nothing even remotely comes close to it. That's why there are only two on the whole island-one in Cabarete, one in Santo Domingo. it costs U.S $20,000 new at the KTM dealership in 2006. I got the receipt. This one was special ordered through KTM in Santo Domingo.

This bike has new rubber high heel shoes on her, because you don't let a classy lady leave the house barefoot, do you? She's got new Carbon Fiber side panels because you don't deprive your sexy lady expensive jewelry and panties when she leaves the house. Why am i selling it? Because i'm not the kind of guy to drive by a river and not try to jump over the thing like Evil Kneivel. I see a bridge, i'm going to hit that thing at 180mph and catapult over the river like the Space Shuttle taking off from Cape Canaveral! I'm sorry, I can't pass up golden opportunities like that. I'm not right in the head.

Listen...you want a stupid Chinese scooter, then move to China. You want something to take you to the moon and back, screaming, "Oh Yeah, Baby, it's Business time!" then come and see me. But don't come to me talking some stupid brain damage crap about how bad ass your Harley is. Harley's can't surf! Harley's a fat piece of bloated steel crap situated on an obese frame. Harley is a WWII Tank barreling down the highway making a lot of noise; Harley don't jump bridges, man! It's fat ass that only knows how to make a lot of noise without the side effect of horsepower. You want to talk 180MPH/270km, come see me. But please, don't come and see me if you want to talk about how some stupid Chinese bike once scared you...Chinese bikes are for women and Motoconcho riders.

You want to talk about catapulting over rivers, chasing monkeys down the street..come see me! You want to compare scars, come see me. But don't come and see me and waste my time talking about some stupid, piece of crap Yamaha 125cc DT that has less horsepower then a riding lawn mower...and how it once scared the living crap out of you when you were 12yrs old. $8000 gets you three helmets, a KTM Brochure, Saddle bags--(never used), KTM factory tools, a link to some of my favorite youtube crash videos, a short story about honest two women on this island, a shot of Jack Daniels with me and my buddy, Alabama Gary, a cup of black tar coffee, and whatever kind of tequila you like."

Frank

This is pure poetry at it's finest

brlatm

Apr 26, 2012

Frank

Frank I saw you on this thing earlier this year coming out of Cabarete headed towards Sosua clicking gears and me and my son who both love bikes sparked instant wood. Holy crap man you where flying!!! That thing is one mean sucker. And $8000 for that bad boy is a great buy!! Viva la Kinky Friedman.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Here is my KTM 950SM:
20130224_110211_zpse090e494.jpg

There is no category you can find, imagine, or invent that a fat, bloated, steel framed, Harley Davidson would be better in the DR then a KTM 950SM.

The Harley Davidson is obese, loud mouthed, anemic, deficient horse-powered, piece of over-weight hardened steel that is not good at anything except for providing a lot of obnoxious noise without the side effect of horsepower.

However, i love the look of some of them, and there's no denying that they are an American success story unrivaled. I love their history. I love the one that Marlon Brando drove in the movie "The Wild One," but, as a motorcycle for the DR, they're an insult to intelligence, your rear end, and practicality.

Frank

Last edited: