Importing a classic car from the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

PabloPaul

Dec 21, 2006
www.myspace.com
Pata De Gallina (Sabaneta) near Cabarete.
Wine, Rum, Vodka, Gin, Whiskey.
PM me for details f you'd like to come by for a visit/tour. I'm now part of the Outback tours, so have plenty of visitors everyday. I'm open from 9-5 and I'm there from 9-1, my employee is there in the afternoons. He speaks good English though. As I am a factory, the prices reflect factory direct savings and you simply cannot buy booze any cheaper than I offer it. However, I am a small operation, craft winery/distillery and have the only private license (that I know of) on the island.
It's quite interesting and if you'd like to take a look around I'd be happy to have you.

: pp.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i don't think the Customs here would declare a 1988 as a classic, they will more classify it as a ole Car and there are restrictions how old a Car can be to be imported. check out exactly if that specific car of that age would be allowed in.
and bring all needed spareparts for the next years, as you most likely will not find any down here, it can start with simple stuff such as Oilfilters etc not available for specific ole Models.

good luck

Mike

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
You have to get special permission from the official classic car organization in the DR or you'll be raped by customs.

Do a search.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Fiero -NO!

I had a 1985 Fiero I purchased new that I drove for 13 years when I lived in the US. It was one of my favorite cars despite it's lackluster reputation. So I understand the attraction of keeping it and trying to bring it here to the DR. Is yours a 6 cylinder GT?

I do advise strongly against bringing a Fiero for the reasons already mentioned unless you are willing to go through a huge hassle and pay the import prices of a 5 year old car (about $14,000 which is probably about right) plus transport of $1,500. Then you will have virtually no parts available for even for simple maintenance which means you will have to import everything for it when needed. If you do get it in, you will have a car that is very unsuitable for the roads here in the DR that almost nobody can work on.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It has to be at least 30 yrs. old to qualify as a classic, so that's not going to happen.

If you do bring it, you'll pay the equivalent in taxes for a 2006 Pontiac. That would be a tad more than 14,000.00 dollars.

That OK with you?

Here's the breakdown from the DGII website:

Marca Modelo Cilindaje A?o Valor
PONTIAC FIERO - 2006 $549,598.84
PONTIAC FIERO - 2007 $624,544.13
PONTIAC FIERO - 2008 $709,709.24
PONTIAC FIERO - 2009 $806,487.78
PONTIAC FIERO - 2010 $916,463.38
PONTIAC FIERO - 2011 $1,041,435.66

Fascinating how DGII could have listings for a Fieros made from 2006 to 2011. The last year they were made was 1988! They were made from 1984 through 1988 and then discontinued. After that the Saturn Division was conceived and eventually the Sky model (and Pontiac Solstice) was the significantly improved "replacement". I would love to have a Sky or Solstice, but not if I lived in the DR.

If you were able to import your Saturn then you would pay at least the import duty for the erroneously listed 2006 model as JDJones points out. Notwithstanding that such a model never exitsed.

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
If I understand we are talking about a racecar that is low to the ground. It will be getting it's chassis stuck all over PP.

At any rate, what's a reverend need a really flashy car for? :)

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I had a 1985 Fiero I purchased new that I drove for 13 years when I lived in the US. It was one of my favorite cars despite it's lackluster reputation. So I understand the attraction of keeping it and trying to bring it here to the DR. Is yours a 6 cylinder GT?

I do advise strongly against bringing a Fiero for the reasons already mentioned unless you are willing to go through a huge hassle and pay the import prices of a 5 year old car (about $14,000 which is probably about right) plus transport of $1,500. Then you will have virtually no parts available for even for simple maintenance which means you will have to import everything for it when needed. If you do get it in, you will have a car that is very unsuitable for the roads here in the DR that almost nobody can work on.

I had a 1967 Continental conv. with the suicide doors, 67K original miles. All original equipment down to the floor mats. Had ALL the original paper work and manuals. I was the second owner and this car was "like new". I could see myself cruising around the D.R. with the top down, AC on full and playing the old 8 tracks. I would find myself doing 100mph on the highways with no problem... except that I thought I was doing 60.

I then saw myself having a parts problem, being old some things just ware out with time. Though I did most of the work on her myself, I knew that finding someone here to work on her with respect would be just about impossible. This was a very complicated car to work on. Then we have the D.R. roads. This car was over 6500 lbs and sat low, long and wide. She needed a football field to turn her around and forget about parking. @7 mpg using premium leaded gas we could not past up the opportunity in the U.S. to stop at every other gas station and I would put in the lead additive. I also saw that the salt air here would eat her up in no time at all.

Though it about broke my heart, I did the right thing by her. I sold her in the U.S.

Perhaps that 1967/8 Mustang would do much better. Easy to work on, small, light, rides higher and a lot of fun. Too bad I didn't keep my 1965 conv.

Yes, if I have to pay 14000 usd I will. I can never part with it. Now I have the figure to come up with. The 14,000 is for a resident to import? I will be moving there permanently when I bring it. Pontiac went out of business in 2009 so there cannot be any newer that that.

Thank you.

About the car. It is no normal Fiero. It was converted to a race car in 1992. It now has a Supercharged 3800 engine (Fiero was 2800 normally aspirated). You can read about the car at '88 Fiero Build "War Hammer" - Pennock's Fiero Forum . It has 320 wheel horsepower as opposed to the stock 2.8l v6 100 hp. Koni shocks and struts (no longer made), polyurethane suspension, fiberglass seats, corvette dash, VDO gauges, and firebird door panels. I am waiting on the brake rotors to be finished (custom made 13" stock is 9"). It is a 5spd getrag car. I have pumped over $20,000 usd into it in the 2 years. It is my car for a lifetime.

My wife bought it for me in January '08 and she died in February '08.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Residents do get some type of break when importing their first car. That said, it will help some, but when DGII officials see the car they will end up doing whatever they want to after they see what it looks like now versus a stock model. IF you can even get permission to import it. Being from the UK , you will need to find someone there that is experienced in working the system in the DR.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The Racing Reverend is not from The UK, the OP was!
There has to be some way to get this car in through the proper channels of payola???
What if you completely disassemble it, and import it as art in pieces?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The Racing Reverend is not from The UK, the OP was!
There has to be some way to get this car in through the proper channels of payola???
What if you completely disassemble it, and import it as art in pieces?

Thanks for catching that. If coming from the USA, then there are many experienced Export/Import people who can do what only they know best. (Speaking of that, I am waiting for the arrival of my first box sent via Montero out of Miami. It is supposed to arrive today. ) I really do see the work the Rev put into his Fiero. I would want it as well, but I would realize in the end that it is not the kind of car to bring here.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Thanks for catching that. If coming from the USA, then there are many experienced Export/Import people who can do what only they know best. (Speaking of that, I am waiting for the arrival of my first box sent via Montero out of Miami. It is supposed to arrive today. ) I really do see the work the Rev put into his Fiero. I would want it as well, but I would realize in the end that it is not the kind of car to bring here.
Agreed.

I also came to that conclusion and left a perfect TR6 and BSA Lightning at home. This is NOT the right place for them if they are a prized possession.

Status
Not open for further replies.