Interesting times/country we live in.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
dv8, but there's a difference. Dominicans who take pictures is because they are already dead
(...)
I'm sure that if someone came and stabbed them in the neck and someone came to their defense, they would be most grateful and not be complaining about how it should have been done.

that's what i say, there is a difference. i think americans would react. many years ago a crown went after richard ramirez, knowing he was a dangerous man,armed and a killing machine. they held him until help arrived. random acts of heroism happen in many places but i still think that in america or europe people would be more reluctant to kill a perpetrator. and it's not like dominicans are particularly heroic. i saw a shooting on our street in the barrio. everyone run. no one thought of saving anyone's life.

secondly, why i do not like the lynchings. it was mentioned before that on occasions innocent people are killed. or the payback does not match the crime such as killing of a common thief. my brother used to steal radios from cars. not a big crime, right? he was caught, received suspended sentence and never stole anything again. i would not be happy if an angry crowd killed him. for a car radio? please.

i think that people here are just very frustrated with the crime levels. and this frustration turns into frenzy. frenzy that goes unpunished so it's even more severe.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
that's what i say, there is a difference. i think americans would react. many years ago a crown went after richard ramirez, knowing he was a dangerous man,armed and a killing machine. they held him until help arrived. random acts of heroism happen in many places but i still think that in america or europe people would be more reluctant to kill a perpetrator. and it's not like dominicans are particularly heroic. i saw a shooting on our street in the barrio. everyone run. no one thought of saving anyone's life.

secondly, why i do not like the lynchings. it was mentioned before that on occasions innocent people are killed. or the payback does not match the crime such as killing of a common thief. my brother used to steal radios from cars. not a big crime, right? he was caught, received suspended sentence and never stole anything again. i would not be happy if an angry crowd killed him. for a car radio? please.

i think that people here are just very frustrated with the crime levels. and this frustration turns into frenzy. frenzy that goes unpunished so it's even more severe.

i think that the weapon in question has something to do with crowd response. guns have this way of causing unarmed people to scatter. as i posted before, i was blindsided one night by a drugged up guy with a machete, and we ended up grappling on the ground. a Haitian guy flew out of a bar with a jumbo beer and split the guy's head open. Ricardo Limardo, post haste. had a gun been in the equation, maybe the guy would have just continued to drink the beer.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012

dv8, Americans would not be so reluctant to act, I live here. Many in the US simply do not want to get involved.

I only stated that in certain circumstances, such as in a life threatening situation, I would not condemn a lynching.

In the DR, you do see a lot of lynchings because many times the people have had to take justice
into their own hands because the police won't do much. Sometimes the punishment does not fit the crime. Many are let out of jail to commit the same crime all over again.

So like you said many get frustrated and decide to put an end to it once and for all.

And of course, there's a difference when someone has a gun versus a knife. I don't
know of anyone that would not run if someone aimed a gun at them. But with a
knife there's a better chance of defense. Pick up a rock, a bat or even a knife.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
dv8, Americans would not be so reluctant to act, I live here. Many in the US simply do not want to get involved.

I only stated that in certain circumstances, such as in a life threatening situation, I would not condemn a lynching.

In the DR, you do see a lot of lynchings because many times the people have had to take justice
into their own hands because the police won't do much. Sometimes the punishment does not fit the crime. Many are let out of jail to commit the same crime all over again.

So like you said many get frustrated and decide to put an end to it once and for all.

There were a lot of robberies near my mother-in-law's house in SD a few years ago, people were getting angrier every week. Police did nothing, acted like it was the neighborhood's problem. He finally robbed the wrong place and they caught him there, he ran, a mob chased him down the street. He ran to my mother-in-law's house [turns out he was someone one of my brother-in-laws knew] to try to get inside, but they caught him and killed him on her doorstep. True story.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
...I only stated that in certain circumstances, such as in a life threatening situation, I would not condemn a lynching...
This is not lynching, it is called self defense or defensive action in order to prevent a murder.
...In the DR, you do see a lot of lynchings because many times the people have had to take justice

So like you said many get frustrated and decide to put an end to it once and for all...
In this case you have to work on the justice system and not take justice in your own hands.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
This is not lynching, it is called self defense or defensive action in order to prevent a murder.

In this case you have to work on the justice system and not take justice in your own hands.

What justice system? You mean the crooked justice system? Oh please.

what happened to that child was a life threatening situation and it was a lynching not self defense.

Self defense is when you act ( the child could not act). The neighbors acted as a mob and killed
him (lynching). They took matters into their own hands, meted out justice on their own.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
never lived, never been. i don't think i need to go somewhere to form an opinion about the place. sahara is hot, greenland is cold.

don't forget to dislike this post, i know you have a thing for me.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
What justice system? You mean the crooked justice system? Oh please.
YOUR Justice System, the Dominican justice system! That's why I say you guys need to progress...

what happened to that child was a life threatening situation and it was a lynching not self defense.
I agree, that is the point! They started to defend the child AFTER it had been stabbed. Instead of improving society and its "systems" the mob took things in its own hands like in less developed societies may years ago.

If the mob or at least one of them would have stepped in before the stabbing happened, yes, then they would have defended the child and even accidentally killing the guy during that process would have been OK if it could not be avoided.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
YOUR Justice System, the Dominican justice system! That's why I say you guys need to progress...

I agree, that is the point! They started to defend the child AFTER it had been stabbed. Instead of improving society and its "systems" the mob took things in its own hands like in less developed societies may years ago.

If the mob or at least one of them would have stepped in before the stabbing happened, yes, then they would have defended the child and even accidentally killing the guy during that process would have been OK if it could not be avoided.

I need to PROGRESS? Do not include me in the "YOUS". and this has nothing to do with "less developed societies".

It's also found in the USA where vigilantes take the law into their own hands and mobs(people) have been known to kill.

What a lot of horse sh!T! REALLY??? The mob could've stopped the actions of the man when it happened inside the home???

How were the neighbors supposed to know what his intentions were? He was also choking the hell
out of his girlfriend and would have killed her too if it wasn't for the crowd.

You obviously have more sympathy for the killer than the victims.:rolleyes: I wonder why?:cheeky:

I hope that you are not living in the DR, in one of the less developed societies.:cheeky:

Last edited:

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
I need to PROGRESS? Do not include me in the "YOUS". and this has nothing to do with "less developed societies".
Yes, it does!

It's also found in the USA where vigilantes take the law into their own hands and mobs(people) have been known to kill.
Maybe it is, but not as often as here in DR. It happened more frequently some hundreds of years ago and then progressively less (progress!!!) as society develops and becomes better. I don't say it's perfect now but much better then before.

What a lot of horse sh!T! REALLY??? The mob could've stopped the actions of the man when it happened inside the home???

How were the neighbors supposed to know what his intentions were? He was also choking the hell
out of his girlfriend and would have killed her too if it wasn't for the crowd
So how could the action of killing the guy make any sense? It didn't help to save the girl only to murder the guy afterwards.
The law here calls this murder! If you call that justice then you missed a couple of years of school.

You obviously have more sympathy for the killer than the victims. I wonder why?
Sympathy for a killer, me, are you crazy? The only one who has sympathy for killers is you, you sympathize with the mob who murdered the guy who was not even a murderer, the girl is alive. And that is why you need a justice system to figure it out before somebody gets punished. If justice is left with people like you, that would be a real chaos. If you don't understand that then you really need to catch up with your education. Not my task, that is my last comment to this.
Yes, I do live here and quite happily.

Last edited:

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
You live in the DR and quite happily? BS! Those who say that are the ones who are constantly complaining about the country.

And you obviously did not get it when I stated under what circumstances I consider the actions of a mob justified. If you want to think otherwise, that's your problem.

The guy was not even a murderer? His intentions were to kill and if the mob would not have been
there to rescue the baby away from him, I'm quite sure he would've hacked it to pieces. Do
you think that he just handed the baby to the crowd???

Ha ha! I need to catch up on my education because I don't see things your way. Nice try.

I'm so glad to hear that this is your last comment because I have no other words to describe
your way of thinking. No, I take that back, I do, but I would get banned.:classic:

Last edited:

donP

Dec 14, 2008
"Justice" on the spot

... And that is why you need a justice system to figure it out before somebody gets punished.

Well, until such a (working) justice system is established here (mind you, it may take decades), people take the law (which does exist!!) in their own hands.

I think, it's called self justice.... :rolleyes:

Call it revenge if you will... actually, Dominicans do not care what you call it.... :D

donP

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Well, until such a (working) justice system is established here (mind you, it may take decades), people take the law (which does exist!!) in their own hands.

I think, it's called self justice.... :rolleyes:

Call it revenge if you will... actually, Dominicans do not care what you call it.... :D

donP

Yes, the law does exist, but it's just not so effective. So, sometimes, they got to do, what the law
does not. Until changes come about, which you have stated might take decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.