Iphone in DR

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
....only thing to worry about is watching your back everytime you use the phone.
Well, it's here, and he's off to activate it today. It is a fun gadget but I'd hate to have one for that very reason.

JDub

Apr 7, 2003
Well, it's here, and he's off to activate it today. It is a fun gadget but I'd hate to have one for that very reason.
Let us know how that goes for him. I'm traveling at the end of November with mine and want to be sure the internet works 100%. Thanks!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Update - it works perfectly well with a sim card from Claro/Codetel, picks up the wi-fi signal - what can I say?
We have a cool new toy. :)

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Did you have to...........

Update - it works perfectly well with a sim card from Claro/Codetel, picks up the wi-fi signal - what can I say?

........hack it in any way or just put in the new sim card?????? I just tried taking out my ATT sim today with a paper clip and that was simple.............but I don't have a Claro Sim card right now to see if it works.......

...........the wifi works with my wireless router and codetel flash (without the sim card) since you don't need a sim card to use that feature........

JDub

Apr 7, 2003
^^^Since the phone is locked to ATT you're going to have to get it unlocked. Do not pay for the service, a free software unlocker is available that you can use yourself.

CJnNJ

Aug 7, 2005

Can you send and receive calls? Did you use any hack on it? If so DO NOT install the 1.1.1 updater. It'll ruin the phone.

CJ

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
It would be nice to know if the update is automatic when you plug into itunes or can you choose not to?

CJnNJ

Aug 7, 2005
It would be nice to know if the update is automatic when you plug into itunes or can you choose not to?

You can choose not to update the Iphone. You can also disable the "check for updates" feature.

I did the update today. The new itunes feature on the phone makes it that much more addictive. I hope to use it hack free on my next visit in December. I read that Orange and Apple (now there's a combo) were hammering out a deal. We'll see.

CJ

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
With the new software unlock available now and the recent drop of the 4GB model of iPhone are these phones turning up for sale yet in the DR?

If so what is the current going rate for a 4GB iPhone and are they in high demand?

JDub

Apr 7, 2003
Can you send and receive calls? Did you use any hack on it? If so DO NOT install the 1.1.1 updater. It'll ruin the phone.

CJ
Very true. For anyone who's using an unlocked iPhone, this is very important. If you upgrade your iPhone software to 1.1.1, it will partially brick your phone. It is recommended that you just stick with the same iPhone firmware that you unlocked your phone with. A solution is almost done for the 1.1.1 update, but no sense updating until the solution is released.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
I figured this thread would be a good place to add this instead of starting a new one since it pertains to the same topic.

Has anyone noticed people selling iPhones in the DR as of yet? If so I am curious as to what the going rate is for the 4GB or 8GB model?

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
A friend of mine.........

...........was just telling me today that he saw that they were selling them at the Claro shop in MegaCentro in Santo Domingo..........

.......no idea of the price though.........

I'm sure it would be cheaper to get it in the US and have it sent....

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
there are a number of clone iphones for sale here in SD for around $200.usd..these are chinese,and very good,you can use 2 sims in it,one for claro and orange,or get them on ebay for a little less.
bob

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
HB--at one point books were "cutting edge technology." Being able to mass produce books was a big deal. I was reminded of this when I went to have copies made in SPM and would have been better off having some ancient monk scribes copying by hand rather than machine printing (with a guy who instead of using the autofeed & collate -that machine was out of ink). He took 100s of pages and put them on the platen glass individually and of course in the middle the power went out.

As for Apple--sorry SOME of you people don't like them. I think there products are far superior to the competition and in a class of their own. I've been a LONG time supporter of the company and it's innovation but still won't buy the first gen of MOST products (I did with the nano iPod) regardless of who makes them. IMNSHO, it is Microsoft we should be slaughtering for their blatant copying and if necessary buy-outs.

As with any newer tech, you are going to pay a premium for the early versions and they aren't even going to have the bugs worked out (I was a beta-tester for the Diamond RIO--the FIRST MP3 player--it only held 6 songs!) For those who have to be the first to have something, accept the fact that those months before the diffusion of innovation happens are GOING to cost you $ and perhaps de-bugging hasslefactor. It's tech life! Try enrolling as a Beta-tester for some of these products.
paz y salud,
Chris

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
there are a number of clone iphones for sale here in SD for around $200.usd..these are chinese,and very good,you can use 2 sims in it,one for claro and orange,or get them on ebay for a little less.
bob

Yes there are some "supposed" clones but people should be aware of the differences between them and a true iPhone. One major difference is the wifi capability which is not in any of the clones I have seen. Also they have much smaller amounts of memory. While they look very close the functionality capabilities are not the same.