Iphone in DR

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
So back to question: How can I use my Iphone in DR?
Any solutions yet?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes, it's been posted - you buy an unblocked iPhone in the US and change the chip to Codetel here.

jester420

Jun 21, 2007
Iphone Works Perfectly In Santo Domingo

I just spent 2 week in Santo Domingo with my Unlocked Iphone and had no problems at all. You can unlock it easily yourself with a Mac or PC and a wireless router. There are several Guides on ModMyiFone.com - iPhone Forums and News or Hack that phone - An international site featuring Mac and Windows instructions for modding the iPhone. The whole thing takes about 90 mins and is reversible. Please read and reread the guides carefully and there are different ones depending on your firmware. I have unlock over 10 phones myself without bricking even one.

Jester

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
There is no software unlock for the iPhone currently for sale by Apple or ATT in the US. The iPhones produced since week 45 of 2007 have bootloader version 6.4 installed. iPhones with this bootloader are currently unlockable.

Please do your homework before buying one and then not being able to unlock it. There is the option of using a magic sim though ($$$).

call back,Dual Sim,Twin Sim,double sim,multisim,ip call,magicsim

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
cool! Now a specific function question. Can you be alerted immediately (like with a blackberry) if you've received an email, or do you have to log into your email account periodically and check?

You can set up various POP3 accounts on the iPhone, similiar to blackberry, or forward via gmail, without the need to *Log on*.

tambo'

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
There is no software unlock for the iPhone currently for sale by Apple or ATT in the US. The iPhones produced since week 45 of 2007 have bootloader version 6.4 installed. iPhones with this bootloader are currently unlockable.

Please do your homework before buying one and then not being able to unlock it. There is the option of using a magic sim though ($$$).

call back,Dual Sim,Twin Sim,double sim,multisim,ip call,magicsim

Bootloader 4.6 (not 6.4) can easily be unlocked and jailbreaked. The phone will definitely work on Orange service once unlocked.

Until the price goes down it doesn't sound like there is much of a market for them in the DR.

FGUnsworth1

Oct 18, 2003
iPhone

Question for residents and visitors in DR, santo domingo especially; Is anyone using their Iphone down there? If so, are you using the Orange network? Any info you can give is great.

I purchased a phone in DR a while ago, usually I just purchase more minutes and get a new number when i visit, but this time i'd like to stick to the one phone.

Thanks!

CJnNJ

I am presently in Santo Domingo and using my unlocked iPhone on Orange. Also the number of wifi Hotspots in SDQ allows me to surf the internet.No roaming charges. Use the internet to unlock your iPhone yourself. It only takes about 20 minutes and is very easy to do. After that you can use any sim card you want despite the nay sayers

fgu

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Jarabacoa - German National - IPhone

I was in Jarabacoa recently; I ran into a German national, satellite TV vendor, living in the Capital & in Jarabacoa;
* he had an IPhone, using Orange, I think. It is very impressive.
* He sells them in some capacity; US $700, unblocked; it works with an Orange SIM card; I tried mine.
* I don't know @ Codetel He sells them on an 'as available' basis. $700??
* I agree with Hillbilly; it will be $300 in 18 months; perhaps less. My son in Mass. also received an IPhone Xmas gift; he raves @ it!
* If this is worth $700. to anybody, please advise me; I can get his name, etc. for you. He has a very good reputation in Jarabacoa among Americans [few!] living there. $700 ? ? ? But, . . . life is short!

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I was in Jarabacoa recently; I ran into a German national, satellite TV vendor, living in the Capital & in Jarabacoa;
* He sells them in some capacity; US $700, unblocked; it works with an Orange SIM card; I tried mine.
* I agree with Hillbilly; it will be $300 in 18 months; perhaps less. My son in Mass. also received an IPhone Xmas gift; he raves @ it!
* If this is worth $700. to anybody, please advise me; I can get his name, etc. for you. He has a very good reputation in Jarabacoa among Americans [few!] living there. $700 ? ? ? But, . . . life is short!

$700 is way too much since you can buy one for $399 and pay another $50 to have it unlocked. But if you don't have access in obtaining one from the U.S. or the know how in unlocking it, then I guess you just have to pay the $700.

I hereby will start selling unlocked IPhones for $625:classic:

CJnNJ

Aug 7, 2005

Hmm. Worth is such a subjective term. Personally, I love the iphone- use it all the time; but it is not worth $700.00.

Another poster said it would come down in price and that's true. It already has. Unless you just have that money burning a hole in your pocket, I'd say wait. By waiting you may get it at a better price, with enhanced features.

CJ

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
Bootloader 4.6 (not 6.4) can easily be unlocked and jailbreaked. The phone will definitely work on Orange service once unlocked.

Until the price goes down it doesn't sound like there is much of a market for them in the DR.

Sorry, I meant 4.6.

Phones with this bootloader can be jailbroken (I never said they couldn't).
But...here is currently no software unlock for phones with this bootloader installed.

Please show me a source that says otherwise.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
Sorry, I meant 4.6.

Phones with this bootloader can be jailbroken (I never said they couldn't).
But...here is currently no software unlock for phones with this bootloader installed.

Please show me a source that says otherwise.

I am unaware of any "publicly available software unlock" for 4.6 but I do have several unlocked iPhones with the 4.6 bootloader right here in front of me. They are all fully working on any GSM network besides the visual voice mail.

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
I am unaware of any "publicly available software unlock" for 4.6 but I do have several unlocked iPhones with the 4.6 bootloader right here in front of me. They are all fully working on any GSM network besides the visual voice mail.

Beads,

You're trying to tell me the whole world is waiting for dev teams to come out with a software unlock and you have the answer? Come on!

To everyone else considering an iPhone,

Don't buy the current iPhone from Apple because the people who claim to unlock iPhones will not be able to unlock yours. You might be stuck with a heavy iPod Touch for a while ;)

Have a nice day.

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
talking about ipod touch. The Mail upgrade just arrived. You can now send and receive emails on your ipod touch so long you are in a hotspot. I don't use the phone that much and usually only need my emails at home or office so it works perfect for me.

Nice upgrade Jobs....

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
How did you get the Itouch upgrade?
At the Claro store in Sosua they said the Iphone is available at the Claro store in POP.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
Beads,

You're trying to tell me the whole world is waiting for dev teams to come out with a software unlock and you have the answer? Come on!

To everyone else considering an iPhone,

Don't buy the current iPhone from Apple because the people who claim to unlock iPhones will not be able to unlock yours. You might be stuck with a heavy iPod Touch for a while ;)

Have a nice day.

Please read a little more carefully. The iPhone with 4.6 bootloader IS unlockable without opening the phone. Its no secret and quite publicly available information. Open google and have a look. Next SIM and Turbo SIM both work quite well.

I have not tested on the new 1.1.3 firmware as of yet but have been told more than likely it will brick the phone by upgrading to it.

Not that it matters another unlock will be available VERY soon for 1.1.3 also.

Last edited: